• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone explain PLOD grading to me?

15 posts in this topic

ok, in the last few days i've seen two monster PLODS posted, a 6.5 AF15 and a 8.5 Hulk1. The AF15 looked every bit a 9.0+ at minimum. The Hulk looks about 8.5.

When the 6.5 AF15 was posted, i and a few others commented on how in the hell could it only be a 6.5. A couple people thought that CGC still grades the faults for a PLOD so tear seals or pieces added are still counted as a tear or missing piece unlike a Qualified label. That seemed to make sense but the 8.5 Hulk 1 also had tear seals and pieces added.

Anyone have some insight here on PLOD grading as it seems i see a LOT of Plods that look MUCH better than their given grade. MUCH better! like a 5.0 that looks like a 8.0 better ???

since I have owned a few restored books, cracked out a few PLOD as well as have books restored, I can say that scans are VERY misleading. Many of the "works" are well "hidden" when you look at a book in a slab. Once you take them out and hold the book at an angle, you can see a substantial amount of color of breaking creases that were "colored" over. Sure you can see some of the flaws with the slab in hands but I can tell you, never look at the frontal scan that frequently posted on this forum as "same as in hands". Some might disagree with me but if you are in Sarasota, I can have plenty of examples you can look at in hands to see why a book appeared as 8.0 in a slab only got 7.0 or less.

For example, if there is a book with a sub crease on the front cover with very few other flaws. If the book is not restored, the highest grade is what? 6.0 or so right?

now if that crease was colored over and you can't see it in a scan of slab, you might wonder why CGC the book is only 7.0 instead of a 9.2. because the big crease still count as a crease, a non color breaking crease but still there so there is no way it will get a 7.5 or higher.

also the interiors of many extensive restored books knock the grades down but we can't see them.

Many restored books have their covers worked on, but the interior pages ignored. A book may look 9.0 or 8.5 but have a flaw such as a two inch tear that goes through several wraps, or someone may have drawn a mustache on all the male characters. Coupons may be intact but filled out.

Here is the book. Hopefully the-collector doesnt mind me using his scans

AF15650001_zps8e4a7162.jpg

AF15650002_zpsaac09289.jpg

Like i said, thats only one example but it seems i see a LOT like this that seem massively under graded. I guess it could be what you are saying and the flaws just dont show in scans (shrug)

It is baffling at times.

I see some restored books grade much higher then I would ever think because the work looks sloppy.

And other times I wonder what kept certain books below 7.0.

Most cases there is a reason for lower grades, deep creasing that cannot be seen, stains, interior issues.etc..etc.

A case of "buy the book, not the label" might apply to books that fall under this category.

Also depends on if the book is pegged Slight, Mod, or Ext.

It is baffling at times.

I see some restored books grade much higher then I would ever think because the work looks sloppy.

And other times I wonder what kept certain books below 7.0.

Most cases there is a reason for lower grades, deep creasing that cannot be seen, stains, interior issues.etc..etc.

A case of "buy the book, not the label" might apply to books that fall under this category.

Also depends on if the book is pegged Slight, Mod, or Ext.

I always wondered if the level of resto affected the grade? Is that definitely the case and if so, does anyone have a rough idea how that works?

That AF15 i posted, every time i looked at it was at work. I looked at it on my home computer and can see what looks like a crease going right up the middle that i cant see on my work monitor. even still, that looks pretty undergraded at 6.5 (shrug)

Like i said, thats only one example but it seems i see a LOT like this that seem massively under graded. I guess it could be what you are saying and the flaws just dont show in scans (shrug)

Looks good, at first glance. A more careful observation I see color touch along the spine in more than one place,a lower right corner crease, folds and wrinkles along the right side and while it may be the scanner to me the overall colors seem faded as well. Plenty of reasons the book is a 6.5.

I now see the long vertical crease, right down the middle, possible subscription crease.

In hand, at an angle, I bet the crease is more visible. As always, CGC is not making up these grades.

Yeah. That book has a sub crease.

Looks good, at first glance. A more careful observation I see color touch along the spine in more than one place,a lower right corner crease, folds and wrinkles along the right side and while it may be the scanner to me the overall colors seem faded as well. Plenty of reasons the book is a 6.5.

Knocked the nail on the head. Except for the colors which are really nice in hand especially the red on spidey.

Yeah it has a sub crease that while faint was still structurally significant. When submitted to classics to have the old work fixed up Matt said that the sub crease would keep the grade down even though it presented better.

There was a book on here with a very similar crease that received a 8.0. I will try and find the link.

Knocked the nail on the head. Except for the colors which are really nice in hand especially the red on spidey.

Yeah it has a sub crease that while faint was still structurally significant. When submitted to classics to have the old work fixed up Matt said that the sub crease would keep the grade down even though it presented better.

There was a book on here with a very similar crease that received a 8.0. I will try and find the link.

I think you are talking about this Jim 83.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6255613&fpart=46

....yup ....maybe a 7.0 on a different day. To answer the other question, the book is graded based on how it appears after the work....the work only affects the grade if it fits the definition of a visible defect STILL......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Books always look better in the slab......always.

Here's an example of hidden flaws. I knew the book had been restored but was shocked to get it back as a 4.5 :tonofbricks:

FFHammer_zps0106b07f.jpg

So I busted it open and found that while the cover stains had been removed there was still staining on two of the interior pages. Hard to judge by cover alone.

FFStains_zps9ba10a2c.jpg