• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody Seen the New Mary Jane???

85 posts in this topic

My daughter actually suggested Taylor Swift. My eyes did an automatic eye roll at first, but after googling a few pics, she might have something there. Certainly the age is about right and there is a certain amount of sass to her appearance.

Of course, she probably can't act worth a mess and kill the franchise.

So you're saying you like Taylor Swifts' saas?

Main problem with both Swift and this new girl is neither is curvy. Swift is also super-tall at 6 feet, same height as Garfield is. Mary Jane was curvy right from the start--although I suppose Romita never drew a woman who WASN'T curvy. :blush:

Exactly my thoughts.

Ok I shall go against the crowd here. I always wanted to be a martyr. I know in the comic shes a 10 but in all honesty if the actress chosen is was drop dead gorgeous it would kill my suspension of disbelief. For me a radioactive spider bite giving super powers is more believable than a socially awkward photography geek scoring the hottest girl in school.

Ok I shall go against the crowd here. I always wanted to be a martyr. I know in the comic shes a 10 but in all honesty if the actress chosen is was drop dead gorgeous it would kill my suspension of disbelief. For me a radioactive spider bite giving super powers is more believable than a socially awkward photography geek scoring the hottest girl in school.

Hadn't he changed by the time Stan Lee introduced Mary Jane? I thought he was in college, she was also out of high school, he had become more confident as most people do once they escape high school, and they had never met. His Aunt May's friend set them up. He didn't even want to go out with her because he thought she'd be a wallflower--hence the fun in that scene I linked above where he sees her for the first time.

...you just destroyed the dreams of half the guys on this forum, dude.

My daughter actually suggested Taylor Swift. My eyes did an automatic eye roll at first, but after googling a few pics, she might have something there. Certainly the age is about right and there is a certain amount of sass to her appearance.

Of course, she probably can't act worth a mess and kill the franchise.

So you're saying you like Taylor Swifts' saas?

Main problem with both Swift and this new girl is neither is curvy. Swift is also super-tall at 6 feet, same height as Garfield is. Mary Jane was curvy right from the start--although I suppose Romita never drew a woman who WASN'T curvy. :blush:

ASM_LastPage_042_web-copy.jpg

b2527563f4ad982683535ee91753a7c5_zps40466a47.jpg

Pitty she ruined her face with surgery and is now insane.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/battle-mary-janes-shailene-woodley-vs-kirsten-dunst-174742648.html

I've never heard of her. I guess she's kinda cute, but not definitely not the hot MJ that is portrayed in comics...

MJ is supposed to be a curvy, red headed bombshell with a confident attitude. Kirsten Dunk did not a good MJ play. No curves, no red, no bombshell, no confidence. She'd have been a perfect Gwen, which just happens to be the opposite of MJ in every way.

Honestly, I don't care if she's curvy and built like in the comics. Honestly, I think it's highly unlikely that an MJ like that would go for Parker in the world they've established for the ASM franchise. It's just not realistic.

Aside from that, Shailene Woodley is very cute and she's a fantastic actress. Anyone who has seen The Descendants would know that. I'll take a quality actress over a supermodel that can't act her way out of a wet paper bag any day.

If I was looking for an MJ I might consider Jennifer Lawrence.

Its all a matter of taste anyway but she seems like she would be a fun girl to hang around and shes what I would consider a beautiful woman.

That thought popped into my head too. With Hollywood magic I think they could make her look close enough to fit the part, she's definitely got the curves, is about the right age, and could definitely nail the acting.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/battle-mary-janes-shailene-woodley-vs-kirsten-dunst-174742648.html

I've never heard of her. I guess she's kinda cute, but not definitely not the hot MJ that is portrayed in comics...

MJ is supposed to be a curvy, red headed bombshell with a confident attitude. Kirsten Dunk did not a good MJ play. No curves, no red, no bombshell, no confidence. She'd have been a perfect Gwen, which just happens to be the opposite of MJ in every way.

Thank you. Hated Dunst as MJ.

Honestly, I don't care if she's curvy and built like in the comics. Honestly, I think it's highly unlikely that an MJ like that would go for Parker in the world they've established for the ASM franchise. It's just not realistic.

Thank you for being doubly-honest--I hate it when you wildly_fanciful_statement us like usual. :baiting::kidaround:

I'm not sure you guys have read past the first dozen or so ASM issues. Stan Lee made him more confident as he progressed in college and his superhero'ing. He was already dating Gwen when he got set up with MJ and was dreading even meeting MJ because he thought she'd be homely--not something a nerdy, girl-less dweeb typically worries about. They always drew him as quite handsome, so once he gained the power and began to let his personality flow from behind the mask with all those wise cracks, his confidence grew. By issue 41 he was well on his way to leaving his teenage nerdiness behind and fairly confident.

Thank you for being doubly-honest--I hate it when you wildly_fanciful_statement us like usual. :baiting::kidaround:

I'm not sure you guys have read past the first dozen or so ASM issues. Stan Lee made him more confident as he progressed in college and his superhero'ing. He was already dating Gwen when he got set up with MJ and was dreading even meeting MJ because he thought she'd be homely--not something a nerdy, girl-less dweeb typically worries about. They always drew him as quite handsome, so once he gained the power and began to let his personality flow from behind the mask with all those wise cracks, his confidence grew. By issue 41 he was well on his way to leaving his teenage nerdiness behind and fairly confident.

+1