• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Comics... 9.8......

186 posts in this topic

My eye was caught by the slight dust shadow on the lower right corner. Do 9.8s have those? shy.gif

Sorry,, I was too busy looking at the BRC crease, URC wear, top impact dent, multiple spine creases, spine wear and smudging, etc., etc.

Mine puts yours to shame, big-time!!

I believe it's an arrival date, and it's marked in pencil.....looks like an 11 over a 2 which would make sense for a Nov arrival of a Feb comic. But don't worry, I wasn't charged extra.

I really don't know why any dealer would list any grades above 9.6. It's such a crapshoot. I've bought a few bronze 9.8s from Metropolis... they were in great shape -- definately 9.4s and probably 9.6s... but 9.8? confused-smiley-013.gif I wouldn't bet on it.

I've bought a few bronze 9.8s from Metropolis... they were in great shape -- definately 9.4s and probably 9.6s

How long ago was this? 893frustrated.gif

Like I said, I bought 9.6-9.8's hoping for NM, which would have made me quite happy. Unfortunately, VF+ for NM+ 9.8 prices makes me feel quite the opposite.

I've bought a few bronze 9.8s from Metropolis... they were in great shape -- definately 9.4s and probably 9.6s

How long ago was this? 893frustrated.gif

Like I said, I bought 9.6-9.8's hoping for NM, which would have made me quite happy. Unfortunately, VF+ for NM+ 9.8 prices makes me feel quite the opposite.

JC, you should know better than to buy comics at 9.8 prices. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

JC, you should know better than to buy comics at 9.8 prices. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey, I just tired a "test buy" from Metro to see what their grading was like. I do that with all of the dealers, but hadn't gotten around to Metro yet due to their bizarre shipping policies.

I had a TON of books on pre-order dependant on the first shipment, and man, am I glad I waited to make sure. foreheadslap.gif

Hey, I just tired a "test buy" from Metro to see what their grading was like. I do that with all of the dealers, but hadn't gotten around to Metro yet due to their bizarre shipping policies.

I had a TON of books on pre-order dependant on the first shipment, and man, am I glad I waited to make sure. foreheadslap.gif

What did you buy & how much? Can you recommend some good dealers who know how to grade? confused.gif

What did you buy & how much?

Just some Byrne books. Nothing too expensive or I'd be really raising a stink over it. Honestly, I think Metro *can* grade, but not on the less-expensive books, which look like they were graded by Chuck's half-brother. foreheadslap.gif

Just an FYI - almost all of the books I have been posting recently in the Infinite Bronze Horror thread have been from Metropolis. Most were 9.4. That Secrets Of Haunted House 3 (btw - have checked the lower right corner - even used my stereo microscope - and no tiny ding there - also no top corner fuzz - just scan artifacts) was rated 9.6.I posted that in the Grading thread because it actually looked a titch better than 9.6. Take a peek in Grading and in Infinite Bronze to get a feel for the grades.

the raw grading is a little spotty -- recently bought some raw MOKFs at the last Big Apple and most were advertised as NM+ 9.6 -- of the 20 or 25 books or so, I'd say about half were 9.4 or 9.6 -- the rest were lower -- with one being drastically lower.

When buying in lots though, I've come expect that there's going to be spotty grading with Metro -- when buying single books I've found their grading to be more accurate on books that were more expensive or key...

So, you guys are saying that Metro hates me, and sent me drek on purpose? Or is it just Marvel books that are over-graded?

Just for the record, I purchased:

Individual Books rated at between 9.6 and 9.8

Bronze/Modern

And NONE was even close to NM 9.4. In fact, one 9.8 looked like it had been BENT IN HALF. Huge, deep spine dents running over half-way into the cover on a 9.6, not to mention multiple, significant, color-breaking corner creases.

You guys getting NM copies from Metro must either be lucky, or they screwed me on purpose.

Let's see some scans!!

My last metro order resulted in one golden age keeper, and two over-graded bronze books which were promptly returned. I just have to wonder who the heck graded those books, b/c I simply can't believe it was Steve or Vinnie...both books were over by 2 grade steps or so.

That would be a great question for Metro:

Who the heck grades your "NM+ 9.6 to 9.8" copies of less-expensive books, and does he wear dark glasses and carry a cane?

Personally speaking, I think there's a TON of "get the collection in, then quickly bag-grade it" stuff going on. The bags and boards I got looked quite old and warped (and unopened), so it wouldn't surprise me to get a cheap NM+ Bronze book that's missing the back cover or something.

One of the books I got looks really nice in the bag (if you look quick), that is until you take it out and find that it has TONS of surface creases, significant spine dents, and surface impressions. Either a scam or quickly "bag graded".