• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Comics... 9.8......

186 posts in this topic

good point Sfilosa. I was thinking of saying something similar that CGC spots and downgrades for defects that arent very noticeable w/o special effort that dealers and collectors miss. But then I stopped because it gets caught uop in the 10-point scale issue. If Steve created it (and I believe he was the driving force in getting it adopted at the OS level) then CGC must be using a different 10-point scale or their grades would always be identical.

this whole thing just underscores thata book isnt ANY grade until CGC says so. I know that upsets people and many just dont agree. But for the purposes of selling a graded book, CGCs grade is the most important factor. Any RAW grade is just one man's opinion versus the "official independent" opinion.

Says you. If I believed that, I wouldn't own 95% of my collection.

why not?

99% of my collection i sungraded, but I know that when I sell them, buyers care way more what CGC grades them than what I did. Thats all Im saying.

While I agree that you'll typically get more in an online sale if the book is graded by CGC, I think buyers are willing to pay a lot more for raw comics than they would in a raw online sale if they can view the raw book in person. There is something magical and hypnotizing about holding a really high grade vintage comic book in one's hands. When I buy online, the only thing that keeps me from paying prices equal to what I'd pay for a CGC graded book (minus grading fees and shipping) is when I don't trust the seller's grading. But when I buy online from guys whose grading I trust and who I know routinely sell sweet raw books (like divadrabnud for bronze age and blazingbob and Doug Sulipa for bronze and silver), I don't pay any less for raw books than I do for CGC books, except that I usually factor in the cost (or future cost) of the grading fee when I'm deciding whether to buy a raw or slabbed book.

My two cents - Customers who receive books they feel are inaccurately graded have an obligation to themselves (and to the seller) to discuss it with the dealer. Otherwise, they have no one to blame but themselves for their dissatisfaction.

Once again, I did email on a Friday, and was told on Monday to look over the return policy and send back the books:

"Returned merchandise must be received by us within seven (7) days of the date from which you contact us regarding the return."

I believe this policy makes it virtually impossible for non-US customers to adhere to (and did I have 4 days left or 7?), so rather than getting more irritated ("sorry, your books arrived 9 days - two days after the deadline!!"), I just ate the loss.

I'll also tell you how bad the books were. My wife, who barely knows anything about comics, looked them over and laughed, "You got rooked!". It's pretty obvious.

Are you sure it's 7 days even for non-US transactions? I would think Metro is reasonable. If you had made a "good faith effort" to return the comics in a reasonable time, if I was running the company, I would not quibble over a few days.

In all fairness, I should add that my only other non cgc purchase from them was TOS 42-44 all graded between 8.0 and 8.5 and I felt very good about the grading.

I'm definitely not a Metropolis basher and will order from them again.

Pete

another Pete??!! 893frustrated.gifflowerred.gif

another Pete??!!

Could you repeat? grin.gif

893frustrated.gif If I had 5 cents for EVERY time I heard that joke...

the funny thing always is people think they are being SO clever when they tell it! insane.gif

If I had a PENNY for everytime someone says "If I had five cents for EVERY time I heard that joke..." well - I would have more money than you! tongue.gifcrazy.gif

another Pete??!!

the funny thing always is people think they are being SO clever when they tell it! insane.gif

If I had a PENNY for everytime someone says "If I had five cents for EVERY time I heard that joke..." well - I would have more money than you! tongue.gifcrazy.gif

I'll give you both a Quarter if you promise to stop it right there! sumo.gif

this whole thing just underscores thata book isnt ANY grade until CGC says so. I know that upsets people and many just dont agree. But for the purposes of selling a graded book, CGCs grade is the most important factor. Any RAW grade is just one man's opinion versus the "official independent" opinion.

I think you are placing far too much faith in CGC. Furthermore, it is this kind of mentality that has CGC HG books pushing comic book prices up into the stratosphere. CGC are NOT grading gods. 893naughty-thumb.gif

another Pete??!!

I'll take that quarter. But I tell you, if I had a two-cent piece for every time someone used the sumo.gif in a post................. 27_laughing.gif

I think you are placing far too much faith in CGC. Furthermore, it is this kind of mentality that has CGC HG books pushing comic book prices up into the stratosphere. CGC are NOT grading gods. 893naughty-thumb.gif

if you define gods as infallable, no they are not.

but if by gods you mean entities to whom people pray to for favors, luck, riches, happiness? Sure they are!!

Do they trod the comic collecting community as gods would? yes.

Do they control the values of comics by their grading? to a lrge degree.

of course all this may change and CGC may lose their godlike status.... but for now, to use your expression, yes thsy are "grading gods,"

Wow, when I started this thread my only real thought was that I would gather a few opinions before risking some dollars. I mean, of course no one can guarantee a raw book as getting a CGC 9.8. I was hoping that perhaps for every 10 I might see 2 9.8's, 8 9.6's, and maybe 2 9.4's. Thats what I average when I submit flawless (in my opinion) bronzes to CGC. But then again, as a long time (40+years) collector, my standards are pretty high.

I have no doubt that accidents happen, creases get missed, and sometimes the grades obviously miss the mark. I don't expect anyone to be perfect. That is why customer service and a fair return policy mean a great deal when purchasing raw books unseen. But once again, I don't want to spend most of my time sending books back either.

After reading the responses by the Metro reps I will have no problem ordering 9.8's from them. They seem to be on the same page as I am.

There have been gaping holes in some of my bronze and silver runs for years, and I am in the never-ending process of converting my collection to CGC and also filling holes. Many of the issues I seek few people would consider sending to CGC... so it falls on me to find raw 9.8's and submit them myself. It sometimes seems like i'm on a treadmill that benefits only CGC...lol!

Thank you everyone on this thread for your insight and contributions.

-Rival

another Pete??!!

I accept! GIMME GIMME! insane.gif

another Pete??!!

I'll take that quarter. But I tell you, if I had a two-cent piece for every time someone used the sumo.gif in a post................. 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif you should copyright it!

Wow, when I started this thread my only real thought was that I would gather a few opinions before risking some dollars. I mean, of course no one can guarantee a raw book as getting a CGC 9.8. I was hoping that perhaps for every 10 I might see 2 9.8's, 8 9.6's, and maybe 2 9.4's. Thats what I average when I submit flawless (in my opinion) bronzes to CGC. But then again, as a long time (40+years) collector, my standards are pretty high.

I have no doubt that accidents happen, creases get missed, and sometimes the grades obviously miss the mark. I don't expect anyone to be perfect. That is why customer service and a fair return policy mean a great deal when purchasing raw books unseen. But once again, I don't want to spend most of my time sending books back either.

After reading the responses by the Metro reps I will have no problem ordering 9.8's from them. They seem to be on the same page as I am.

There have been gaping holes in some of my bronze and silver runs for years, and I am in the never-ending process of converting my collection to CGC and also filling holes. Many of the issues I seek few people would consider sending to CGC... so it falls on me to find raw 9.8's and submit them myself. It sometimes seems like i'm on a treadmill that benefits only CGC...lol!

Thank you everyone on this thread for your insight and contributions.

-Rival

ummm.. 2+8+2=12 ...?? confused.gif

You guys are hilarious.

Someone sends me a box of 893censored-thumb.gif, and I'm supposed to be happy they allow me to return said 893censored-thumb.gif, all the while eating the shipping charges both ways?

Get in line boyz, I've got plenty of VF comics I'm selling at NM+ prices, and I'll offer the same return deal. 893applaud-thumb.gif

If I had at least got a few nice books to keep, I might be more lenient, but nothing was even close. Personally, I'd rather throw my money on the road and watch kids scurry to pick it up, than order again from Metro.

At least that way you could get some real value!

Davidking623

You seem like a person with a lot of anger.

I state the grades of the books and the total for the order (to make sure we are talking about the same group of book) and you seem angry at that.

We offer all customers a 7 day refund policy and you seem angry at that.

We ask for scans of the books you bought and you seem angry at that.

Steve

And therein lies the unique charm of our JC. acclaim.gif

Looks like those anger management classes are working out he seems to have come a long way to me!!

Davidking623

another Pete??!!

sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif