• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Comics... 9.8......

186 posts in this topic

Since the grade 9.8 is a CGC invention, if you don't think they will grade out as CGC 9.8,why in the world would you sell them as such?

If people should not expect 9.8s to come as such,why should we expect your 8.5s to come as such?

I've never had a problem with any book you graded but the above statement makes me wonder about buying a raw book in the future.

I truly find the above statement to be of great interest to me. Normally, I would never bring up the following point but since it being addressed, why not?

You state that 9.8 and therefore the whole grading scale is a CGC invention. In the next post, someone brings up that it is an Overstreet invention. Both of these statements are untrue. I and no one else created the current grading. Metropolis had used a 42-point scale for many years. The original Overstreet grading guide used a 100-point system (which no one understood). I created the current 10-point scale including each and every point on the scale with their corresponding nomenclature grades, for use in the Metropolis inventory database. Shortly afterward, I met with Bob Overstreet at his office in MD, in an attempt to address the shortcomings of 100-point scale (which no one really used) and to convince him to convert the next guide to the Metropolis 10 point scale. Two days later, in a conference call with Bob Overstreet and John Snyder, the Metropolis 10 point scale was further discussed in great detail. It was during this conference call that I dictated the entire scale to John Snyder. I dictated and he wrote. That is the scale that became the foundation for the next guide. It was the Metropolis 10 point scale that shortly afterward was adopted by CGC.

I find it funny when people state that Metropolis is "using" the CGC grading scale or is "using" the Overstreet grading scale. To be exact, it should be referred to as the Metropolis grading scale. If anyone has any doubt, just talk to John Snyder.

Discussions about grading standards are always welcomed. However, as the person who created 9.8 and 8.0 and 4.5 and 1.0, I too have something to say about the matter.

Stephen

hey, big fella, give credit where credit is due! I was the one who reminded everyone that the 10-point system was yours.

Well,this is the reasons I read the boards as often as possible. There always is something new to learn. I really was not aware that Steve was the one who created the system.

I'd go back and edit my remarks but since they are quoted repeatedly,theres no point.

So Steve is the one to blame,good to know. cool.gif

Id like ti hear more clarification.... There was a 100 point plan on the "table" at the time which Steve and eventually others felt was too much and too complex. But I dont remember exactly what the 10 point plan included. Was it Steve or CGC who chose half point incremenrs plus the .2 spreads above 9.0? Or was the 10 poinmt scale supposed to be a total of 100 levels? or just 10? or the 25 or so adopted and used by CGC???

Id like ti hear more clarification.... There was a 100 point plan on the "table" at the time which Steve and eventually others felt was too much and too complex. But I dont remember exactly what the 10 point plan included. Was it Steve or CGC who chose half point incremenrs plus the .2 spreads above 9.0? Or was the 10 poinmt scale supposed to be a total of 100 levels? or just 10? or the 25 or so adopted and used by CGC???

What do you mean "on the table"? The 1st OS Grading Guide uses the 100 point system. Steve published the 10 point plan in the CBG, and as he explains above, that scale was adopted by Overstreet.

However, "100 point" and "10 point" are slightly misleading, as there are really 25 individual grades in the 10 point system...the 100 point system in the 1st OS guide does present examples of 91's, 88's, etc.,. so I guess it actually has 99 separate grades (no zero). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My two cents - Customers who receive books they feel are inaccurately graded have an obligation to themselves (and to the seller) to discuss it with the dealer. Otherwise, they have no one to blame but themselves for their dissatisfaction.

Once again, I did email on a Friday, and was told on Monday to look over the return policy and send back the books:

"Returned merchandise must be received by us within seven (7) days of the date from which you contact us regarding the return."

I believe this policy makes it virtually impossible for non-US customers to adhere to (and did I have 4 days left or 7?), so rather than getting more irritated ("sorry, your books arrived 9 days - two days after the deadline!!"), I just ate the loss.

I'll also tell you how bad the books were. My wife, who barely knows anything about comics, looked them over and laughed, "You got rooked!". It's pretty obvious.

Hi JC,

My comment wasn't directed only towards you. I see similar situations all the time in my job where people get really worked up over a real or perceived problem that is incredibly easy for me to fix.

If you were concerned about the return policy and the books were as off as you describe (which I have no reason to doubt you about), then you could have called or emailed back Metro and said "Hey, I'm up in Canada and bought some books I'm not happy with. I got an email response that said they need to be returned to you within 7 days, but I didn't spend a ton and it wouldn't financially make sense to send them back via a highly expedited means. I know I didn't spend a lot, but money is money and I do feel the books in question were severely overgraded. Here's what's wrong with them 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif. Would it be acceptable if I return them via _______ shipping, which will get them back to you within about 10 days or so?"

The worst they could have said is no.

"Returned merchandise must be received by us within seven (7) days of the date from which you contact us regarding the return."

I believe this policy makes it virtually impossible for non-US customers to adhere to (and did I have 4 days left or 7?), so rather than getting more irritated ("sorry, your books arrived 9 days - two days after the deadline!!"), I just ate the loss.

This return policy is considered industry standard. It gave you enough time to return any books. However, if you needed more time, all you had to do was ask. It would have not been a problem.

Stephen

My comment wasn't directed only towards you. I see similar situations all the time in my job where people get really worked up over a real or perceived problem that is incredibly easy for me to fix.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Apparently you haven't seen me worked up.

Remember, I didn't start this thread, and was only replying to a question to do with Metro 9.8 comics. I offered my experiences, which had NOTHING to do with me getting my money back. I had already ate that loss.

I just feel that from my point of view, Metro grossly over-grades their 9.6-9.8 comics, and laid out how I bought at this level, and received VF+ at best, and .... at worst. It started out as my attempt to save someone the same time, money and disappointment that I went through.

If I really wanted to jump through hoops, I would have gotten my money back one way or another, but instead I made a personal choice to eat the cash. I've been to restaurants before, gotten crappy food, and just because I might be able to pizz and moan for a refund, doesn't give me a good feeling towards the establishment or make me recommend them to others.

And if someone asks me what the food at Luigi's is like, I'm going to tell them straight up, no BS.

Hi JC,

If you were concerned about the return policy and the books were as off as you describe (which I have no reason to doubt you about), then you could have called or emailed back Metro and said "Hey, I'm up in Canada and bought some books I'm not happy with. I got an email response that said they need to be returned to you within 7 days, but I didn't spend a ton and it wouldn't financially make sense to send them back via a highly expedited means. I know I didn't spend a lot, but money is money and I do feel the books in question were severely overgraded. Here's what's wrong with them 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif. Would it be acceptable if I return them via _______ shipping, which will get them back to you within about 10 days or so?"

The worst they could have said is no.

Exactly... thumbsup2.gif

You guys are hilarious.

Someone sends me a box of 893censored-thumb.gif, and I'm supposed to be happy they allow me to return said 893censored-thumb.gif, all the while eating the shipping charges both ways?

Get in line boyz, I've got plenty of VF comics I'm selling at NM+ prices, and I'll offer the same return deal. 893applaud-thumb.gif

If I had at least got a few nice books to keep, I might be more lenient, but nothing was even close. Personally, I'd rather throw my money on the road and watch kids scurry to pick it up, than order again from Metro.

You guys are hilarious.

Someone sends me a box of 893censored-thumb.gif, and I'm supposed to be happy they allow me to return said 893censored-thumb.gif, all the while eating the shipping charges both ways?

Get in line boyz, I've got plenty of VF comics I'm selling at NM+ prices, and I'll offer the same return deal. 893applaud-thumb.gif

If I had at least got a few nice books to keep, I might be more lenient, but nothing was even close. Personally, I'd rather throw my money on the road and watch kids scurry to pick it up, than order again from Metro.

JC - Metro has plenty of very HG books including true 9.8s. If your books weren't 9.8 I do apologize for the overgrading but you could have returned them. If you don't take the initiative to ask that's not Metro's fault is it? Plus, I can't believe that shipping would really be *that* expensive . . . .

DAM

I just feel that from my point of view, Metro grossly over-grades their 9.6-9.8 comics, and laid out how I bought at this level, and received VF+ at best

Hey, I've got a great idea. Instead of spending a lot of time talking about the books you bought from us. Let's see some scans. From my records, I see you purchased 1 9.0, 1 9.2, 2 9.6's and 1 9.8. The total order was for about $82.00

Steve

Hey, I've got a great idea. Instead of spending a lot of time talking about the books you bought from us. Let's see some scans.

Sure, but I'll need my digital camera to fully capture the many surface creases, dents and indentations on the "bag-graded" 9.8. I admit that if I forced to grade it through that old, milky polybag, I might have went NM too.

But that's why I remove comics first. thumbsup2.gif

Plus, I can't believe that shipping would really be *that* expensive . . . .

Guaranteed 7-day shipping to the US... not expensive? Well, maybe not for a Rockefeller.

confused-smiley-013.gif I don't know confused-smiley-013.gif

You seem like a person with a lot of anger.

I state the grades of the books and the total for the order (to make sure we are talking about the same group of book) and you seem angry at that.

We offer all customers a 7 day refund policy and you seem angry at that.

We ask for scans of the books you bought and you seem angry at that.

Your claim that these books were graded in the bags is nonsense. To state the very least, each and every book at Metropolis is graded with care, out of the bag.

Regarding scans, you must know someone who has a good scanner.

Steve

I just feel that from my point of view, Metro grossly over-grades their 9.6-9.8 comics, and laid out how I bought at this level, and received VF+ at best

Hey, I've got a great idea. Instead of spending a lot of time talking about the books you bought from us. Let's see some scans. From my records, I see you purchased 1 9.0, 1 9.2, 2 9.6's and 1 9.8. The total order was for about $82.00

Steve

All this drama over three freakin books? Why am I not surprised. foreheadslap.gif