• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else complain to CGC they are overly tight right now?

232 posts in this topic

Cry baby nonsense. I hate buying those loosely graded pieces of garbage. I dont care who profits or loses, i just want the book to reflect the grade assigned. This thread really opens eyes.

CGC now has a pressing service attached to them. Pressing has become the norm because people who submit books want the highest possible grade. Why is this thread so eye opening to you?

Gives an idea as to who i should buy from.

Because they want the highest possible grade from CGC? They're not the ones over-grading.

I would like an honest opinion from the seller if the book was graded tight or loose, gives me a better idea as to what im buying. Some people here would not be truthful, or wouldnt know the difference.

Nice non sequitur. I want consistency from CGC, as well as the best grades possible on the books I submit, so that makes me either A) a liar or B) ignorant as a result. That makes sense how?

I had you in mind as a positive not. I believe you would be honest and call a book and ugly (insert grade). SO you don't need to feel bad. I consider you an honest seller.

Thanks. I've been upfront about overgraded slabs in the past, but people don't ask that often.

At this point I don't even know if they are accurate right now or too tight. When the goalposts move as much as they do, and CGC created the standards in the first place, who is to say what the "right" qualities are for each grade?

I think Roy said it best. Be tight, be loose, be just right. I don't care. Just don't move the target because I buy based on how I feel a grade will turn out. If I can't trust my own ability to tell the difference between a 9.2 and a 9.6 because CGC can't maintain grading consistency, that kind of sucks....and costs me money....and reduces confidence in their product.

If I came across as wanting to foist "overgraded" slabs on unsuspecting buyers, that's definitely not what I meant. At this point I am not even sure what overgraded and undergraded are any more. I just sub nice books and hope for the best.

+1 here.

+2

Consistency is easily the most important thing. If Third Party grading isn't consistent, then CGC only provides a worthwhile service to the legally blind.

There is undeniable, inarguable variance in their grading. The resubs prove that on a regular basis.

I think Roy said it best. Be tight, be loose, be just right. I don't care. Just don't move the target because I buy based on how I feel a grade will turn out. If I can't trust my own ability to tell the difference between a 9.2 and a 9.6 because CGC can't maintain grading consistency, that kind of sucks....and costs me money....and reduces confidence in their product.

Why did PGX not become successful? They were unable to sell their confidence to people - too many problems, failings, mistakes, etc.

The only reasons grading works is because it induces confidence. If there is no confidence, there is no grading company. Anything that shakes confidence is going to shake the market.

It's that simple.

First they allegedly grade all the Sparkle City books too easy, so now it appears they have overcorrected to being overly tight.

A few years ago a book like this would have maybe been 9.6, for sure 9.4. But now it gets hammered to 9.2 killing half the profit for this poor seller. Just not worth it anymore to deal with finding these books just to have CGC arbitrarily lower their value because they are 'tight' right now and no real reason.

newly graded GL on ebay

You can't possibly tell if a book is overgraded or undergraded from a small scan. In fact, you can't grade accurately from a scan at all. It's just an educated guess, and that is assuming that there are no hidden defects that are not visible from the outside.

Based on the conversation we had a few weeks ago, you should know that.

:baiting:

First they allegedly grade all the Sparkle City books too easy, so now it appears they have overcorrected to being overly tight.

A few years ago a book like this would have maybe been 9.6, for sure 9.4. But now it gets hammered to 9.2 killing half the profit for this poor seller. Just not worth it anymore to deal with finding these books just to have CGC arbitrarily lower their value because they are 'tight' right now and no real reason.

newly graded GL on ebay

You can't possibly tell if a book is overgraded or undergraded from a small scan. In fact, you can't grade accurately from a scan at all. It's just an educated guess, and that is assuming that there are no hidden defects that are not visible from the outside.

:cool:

IMO, I hope they stick with the high grade standards especially for moderns. The comics today are tougher than they used to be so grading a book that is less than 1 month old really has to be tough. But there's nothing that can be done about Diamond's packing which is single-handedly working against the possibility of getting high grade moderns. Maybe they do that on purpose to ensure the rarity of 9.9's and 10's. :P

You can't bash Diamond in a CGC bashing thread! :grin:

By the way, Diamond does just find on packing and shipping books. I buy from DCBS and have been quite pleased with the condition of the moderns I buy. And I'm an extremely picky collector.

newly graded GL on ebay

Actually, you can tell an overgrade by a small scan.

You can't necessarily tell an undergrade, but an overgrade?

Easy.

I believe the reality is that on any given day EVERY grader has fluctuations in consistency. The reason for this is we are human and it's not a machine that can have a +/- % of consistency.

Grading and opinions can change for anyone. I've seen some of the best graders I know overgrade and undergrade books.

CGC is no different. The issue is the microscope is on them to the nth degree and it's hard to live up to that standard of quality control when it's a subjective grading scale to begin with.

I have over 100 slabs and only a few do I think were under graded and a few over graded.

For the most part...they are doing a nice job in grading in my eyes.

So it's time for someone to program a machine to grade comics. No more inconsistencies!

Why did PGX not become successful? They were unable to sell their confidence to people - too many problems, failings, mistakes, etc.

The only reasons grading works is because it induces confidence. If there is no confidence, there is no grading company. Anything that shakes confidence is going to shake the market.

It's that simple.

We went beyond that a long time ago with CGC. A long time ago.

Confidence no longer props up CGC.

Fear does.

It's that simple.

We went beyond that a long time ago with CGC. A long time ago.

Confidence no longer props up CGC.

Fear does.

^^

newly graded GL on ebay

Actually, you can tell an overgrade by a small scan.

You can't necessarily tell an undergrade, but an overgrade?

Easy.

Not always the case.

In extreme examples, yes. In not so extreme examples, not always.

Remember the grading contest a few years ago when people where hooting and hollering about the unfair grades being given by CGC to the grading contest books?

Everyone thought one particular 9.4 should have been a 7.5 based on scans but the people doing the grading contest said that in hand the book was an accurately graded 9.4. I believe you were one of the members that was amazed at the 9.4 grade.

In my experience Epson and Cannon scanners make shadows darker than they really are in real life making them look over graded and dark.

Scanners can have a tendency to exaggerate defects sometimes and misrepresent them in some colour spectrums.

The reason I :baiting: Red Rocks is because I was looking to buy a book from him that he stated was a 9.6. To me it looked like an 8.5 based on defects I saw in the scan. In person, he said those defects didn't exist.

That's one reason grading from a scan is not accurate.

Quit yer whining, losers

no whining but no gift grades out of 70+ books i just got back. wait, that's whining.

Wow. But were they accurately graded, or harshly graded. In your honest opinion?

i haven't run the actual #'s but on this batch my average estimate was likely 9.3 and i'm typically tighter so i'd have expected 9.5 on average and got more like 9.4 on average.