• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My LCS Rant (Long Read)...

111 posts in this topic

Okay...I don't usually post rants about anything on these boards, but I just wanted to see what you guys have to say. Here's the whole back story (leading up to today) that I feel is necessary to explain the current situation:

Whenever Superior Spider-Man #1 was released, I took two copies to the counter (one for myself and the other for my 7-year-old brother who was at school). The owner said I could only purchase one copy and the second would be $10. I tried to explain I was getting it for my brother, and he wouldn't sell, so I only bought one.

Fast forward to the third issue of Superior Spider-Man. My two younger cousins (around the same age as my brother) reads this title. My uncle took his son to the store to buy issue #3. My other cousin had been sick all week, so they were going to get it for him since he couldn't go to the store. The owner said he couldn't do that because he would get in trouble. My uncle explained about my other cousin, and the owner knows both by name, so he knew who my uncle was talking about. He still wouldn't sell.

Now I know both of those incidents involved buying more than one issue, and I understand some stores have limits, etc. That's the reason I still purchase my comics from him even though it irked me.

I went in today to buy a couple of comics and decided to pick up a copy of Batman Inc. #8 to see how Damien dies. There were two copies left, so I got one. I walk to the counter to purchase, and he flips through the comics as he is ringing them up. When he gets to the Batman Inc. issue, he asks, "Do you normally purchase this title?" I told him no. Then he asked, "Then why are you purchasing it?" I didn't expect him to ask that, but I told him how I read DotF and wanted to see how Damien died since a lot of people thought it would happen in the DotF arc. He then said, "This is the kind of purchase that skews all the orders up. Buying because of hype." I kinda laughed it off, paid for the items and left.

1) If he knew there was a lot of hype, he could have ordered more to sell more.

2) He had already pulled out all the issues for his subscribers.

I'm not the kind of reader that spends $70+ a week, but I do go there every week to buy Superior, Nightwing, Venom, Morbius, Walking Dead, Revival, Bedlam, and he is supposed to start ordering Nowhere Men for me (he doesn't currently order it because nobody asked for it before I did). I'm not a subscriber because he has to "ask" you to become one. Plus, it's $5 per year for a 5% discount, which is hardly worth it. On top of that, he doesn't release new issues until Thursdays. The closest comic shop other than his is about an hour away, so I don't really have much of a choice.

He is sorta friendly in an odd way. We usually converse for about 15-20 minutes each visit because I'm usually the only one in there. It's an extremely small shop. But the encounter today has me dreading to return next week to pick up new issues. What would you guys do?

Sorry this ran so long...

well, I am in Texas and glad I have my boots on. Gonna call BS on this. If you need details why feel free to ask.

Details please....Pretty please? (I asked)

Hmmm, kinda weird if you ask me. If he is the owner how is he going to get in trouble and by whom? The 3rd degree and a shake down when buying a book? Puh-leese, find a mail order company and say adios to this chucklehead. What a pretentious clown. Ugh!!!! And people wonder.

Okay...I don't usually post rants about anything on these boards, but I just wanted to see what you guys have to say. Here's the whole back story (leading up to today) that I feel is necessary to explain the current situation:

Whenever Superior Spider-Man #1 was released, I took two copies to the counter (one for myself and the other for my 7-year-old brother who was at school). The owner said I could only purchase one copy and the second would be $10. I tried to explain I was getting it for my brother, and he wouldn't sell, so I only bought one.

Fast forward to the third issue of Superior Spider-Man. My two younger cousins (around the same age as my brother) reads this title. My uncle took his son to the store to buy issue #3. My other cousin had been sick all week, so they were going to get it for him since he couldn't go to the store. The owner said he couldn't do that because he would get in trouble. My uncle explained about my other cousin, and the owner knows both by name, so he knew who my uncle was talking about. He still wouldn't sell.

Now I know both of those incidents involved buying more than one issue, and I understand some stores have limits, etc. That's the reason I still purchase my comics from him even though it irked me.

I went in today to buy a couple of comics and decided to pick up a copy of Batman Inc. #8 to see how Damien dies. There were two copies left, so I got one. I walk to the counter to purchase, and he flips through the comics as he is ringing them up. When he gets to the Batman Inc. issue, he asks, "Do you normally purchase this title?" I told him no. Then he asked, "Then why are you purchasing it?" I didn't expect him to ask that, but I told him how I read DotF and wanted to see how Damien died since a lot of people thought it would happen in the DotF arc. He then said, "This is the kind of purchase that skews all the orders up. Buying because of hype." I kinda laughed it off, paid for the items and left.

I'm not the kind of reader that spends $70+ a week, but I do go there every week to buy Superior, Nightwing, Venom, Morbius, Walking Dead, Revival, Bedlam, and he is supposed to start ordering Nowhere Men for me (he doesn't currently order it because nobody asked for it before I did). I'm not a subscriber because he has to "ask" you to become one. Plus, it's $5 per year for a 5% discount, which is hardly worth it. On top of that, he doesn't release new issues until Thursdays. The closest comic shop other than his is about an hour away, so I don't really have much of a choice.

He is sorta friendly in an odd way. We usually converse for about 15-20 minutes each visit because I'm usually the only one in there. It's an extremely small shop. But the encounter today has me dreading to return next week to pick up new issues. What would you guys do?

well, I am in Texas and glad I have my boots on. Gonna call BS on this. If you need details why feel free to ask.

well since you ask. he said he buys like 6 titles every week. decent customer there. now i dont keep up with moderns but nothing men is a selling title...i think. but the shop owner dont order it but will order it just for him. but, wont sell him 2 copies of the same book.... :facepalm: just sayn'

well since you ask. he said he buys like 6 titles every week. decent customer there. now i dont keep up with moderns but nothing men is a selling title...i think. but the shop owner dont order it but will order it just for him. but, wont sell him 2 copies of the same book.... :facepalm: just sayn'

What about that strikes you as BS? Sounds entirely plausible.

It is plausible because that's the truth. When I went to pick up Revival one week, I noticed he didn't have any Nowhere Men. I asked if he orders them, and he said no, but that he would look into it for me. The next week, he said he had ordered me a copy of the next couple of issues. He said that he never knows what people will buy, so with smaller publishers like Image, he doesn't order everything that comes out.

Since I asked him about Nowhere Men, he knows I'm going to buy it every month, so he is going to start ordering it for me.

It is plausible because that's the truth. When I went to pick up Revival one week, I noticed he didn't have any Nowhere Men. I asked if he orders them, and he said no, but that he would look into it for me. The next week, he said he had ordered me a copy of the next couple of issues. He said that he never knows what people will buy, so with smaller publishers like Image, he doesn't order everything that comes out.

Since I asked him about Nowhere Men, he knows I'm going to buy it every month, so he is going to start ordering it for me.

I believe you. Just trying to figure out how many drinks ImageMask has had tonight.

I believe you. Just trying to figure out how many drinks ImageMask has had tonight.

But my collection rocks and yours sucks. No drinks here. Have another hit..................

I remember a decade or so ago, a new comics dealer I bought from regularly at a comic mart had a bit of a screaming meltdown with me. Something along the lines of 'I'm sick of people just coming to use me for a hot comic and for nothing else!' Strange thing to say to me, because I had a lot of standing orders, with the vast majority of them stone-cold if anything, I would say. Several other angry remarks were thrown at me during the rest of the event so, over that weekend, I decided to email him about it. It went something along the lines of 'it might be true that you have a lot of attendees doing that to you opportunistically, but you won't have any more opportunities to take out those frustrations on me personally because I'm cancelling all of my standing orders with immediate effect.'

So, kick me around, see what happens. I'm not quite that much in thrall to newsprint.

Haha yeah, I know you believed me. I was trying to clear up the part about Nowhere Men.