• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My LCS Rant (Long Read)...

111 posts in this topic

What would you guys do?

Move to Houston.

The LCS owner's attitude seems reminiscent of the way many were behaving from 1991-1994 before the crash. Entitled, arrogant, with an approach that they were doing YOU the customer a favor by being open and selling you stuff.

Asking you why you were buying something? Seriously? Ditch the store and go elsewhere.

I completely agree with the bit about LCS owners starting to act entitled and arrogant. I hate how comic shops treat you when you buy a book that gets hype. I was far from my usual store where I have my subscription list so I stopped by one in the neighborhood I was in to get my hands on Batman Inc #8 as soon as possible.

I asked the owner if he had any left. He said no. Since it was just a little after opening, I asked what happened (expecting him to say he under-ordered or something along those lines). He replied "we're all sold out because it's in the news." He then added, "that's why YOU know about it and that's why YOU are here, isn't it?"

The whole scenario really irked me. First, I'm a huge Batman fan and probably have more Batman comic books and related memorabilia than he had in his entire store. Second, if comic shops start to question why people are buying comic books like in my case or in the original post, it's going to ruin the whole comic book store experience for a lot of people and that'd be a shame.

Yeah, our situations sound pretty similar. At least yours wasn't your regular store, though. Haha

I don't see a problem with a shop setting limits but it seems out of line when they question why you're buying a comic. "Because I want it" would have been my reply. If it's a hot comic he should have known to order extra. After he's pulled his subs and he has a one per customer limit, there should be no more interrogations.

What would you guys do?

Move to Houston.

The LCS owner's attitude seems reminiscent of the way many were behaving from 1991-1994 before the crash. Entitled, arrogant, with an approach that they were doing YOU the customer a favor by being open and selling you stuff.

Asking you why you were buying something? Seriously? Ditch the store and go elsewhere.

I completely agree with the bit about LCS owners starting to act entitled and arrogant. I hate how comic shops treat you when you buy a book that gets hype. I was far from my usual store where I have my subscription list so I stopped by one in the neighborhood I was in to get my hands on Batman Inc #8 as soon as possible.

I asked the owner if he had any left. He said no. Since it was just a little after opening, I asked what happened (expecting him to say he under-ordered or something along those lines). He replied "we're all sold out because it's in the news." He then added, "that's why YOU know about it and that's why YOU are here, isn't it?"

The whole scenario really irked me. First, I'm a huge Batman fan and probably have more Batman comic books and related memorabilia than he had in his entire store. Second, if comic shops start to question why people are buying comic books like in my case or in the original post, it's going to ruin the whole comic book store experience for a lot of people and that'd be a shame.

Yeah, our situations sound pretty similar. At least yours wasn't your regular store, though. Haha

Yeah. I would have been heated if it was my regular store.

Go elsewhere. In the many, many years of buying from comic shops, no owner has ever questioned what I buy, and frankly no owner should ever do that.

I wish there was somewhere else I could go. I can always order online, but waiting an extra week for shipping doesn't excite me.

I don't see a problem with a shop setting limits but it seems out of line when they question why you're buying a comic. "Because I want it" would have been my reply. If it's a hot comic he should have known to order extra. After he's pulled his subs and he has a one per customer limit, there should be no more interrogations.

Same as when Batman 428 was distributed to the UK - a two copy per person limit from the shops I went to in London, but no interrogation, analysis or paranoia like this.

Giving that reason to a retailer for buying a hot book smells of ebay flippancy. So it might put him on guard that you are gaming him to get extra copies to profit off of when he's trying to get them into the hands of people who don't already have a copy. He's probably wondering why you can't share.

Even this I don't like. If you put ten copies of "Peter Pounderfist the Superior Spider-Man Inc" on your shelf for a price (cover or otherwise), they should be up for grabs. If you're concerned about someone buying too many, keep 5 behind the counter, or up the price. But to give someone attitude or flat out refuse to sell items that the customer has already decided to buy - because they were there, and the customer assumed he was in a RETAIL STORE - is just douchebaggotry.

The first brand new comic I bought off the stands was the death of Robin. The LCS owner actually called me over to it, because I usually raided the quarter bin. He was like "Hey, Robin dies in this one, you have to get it!" So I begged my mom for it and got it. :)

I made anyone who bought a BI #8 hop around on one foot and quack like a gay duck.

Was that wrong?

Irrelevant to me, personally. I only buy trade paperbacks. Thankfully.

douchebaggotry.

:cloud9:

Makes putting those extra little details in posts worthwhile.

I made anyone who bought a BI #8 hop around on one foot and quack like a gay duck.

Was that wrong?

Irrelevant to me, personally. I only buy trade paperbacks. Thankfully.

You should see what TPB customers have to do.

Not. Pretty.

Imagine taking a jumbo pack of toilet paper to the register at Walmart and getting quizzed by the cashier about how many times you need to mess a day?

Imagine taking a jumbo pack of toilet paper to the register at Walmart and getting quizzed by the cashier about how many times you need to mess a day?

Haha "Why are you purchasing this? Do you use this regularly?"

Haha "Why are you purchasing this? Do you use this regularly?"

lol that's basically what happened to you.

This thread unlike OMGWTFBBQSCUMBAG guy's thread actually managed to give us enough info to make an informed statement.

Interesting how that happens.

Also, douchebaggotry.

This thread unlike OMGWTFBBQSCUMBAG guy's thread actually managed to give us enough info to make an informed statement.

Interesting how that happens.

Also, douchebaggotry.

Scummmbag