• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading recommendations for a comics newb!

57 posts in this topic

Howdy Modern forums. The Mighty Tupenny von Conan has arrived in your part of the Boards for the weekend. Tremble in fear!

A friend of mine is a very talented illustrator interested in the comics profession. She has never read comics before & feels a little overwhelmed in her local comic shop. She'd like to spend a few months reading what's out there to get a sense of sequential art storytelling & the various popular art styles.

I promised her a list of 6 - 12 titles to peruse by Monday or so. Of course, I think it best she read trades rather than monthlies as she's not interested in collecting.

So let's hear it Modern nerds, what do you suggest?

:popcorn:

all of the above

add :

Hawkeye

The Mighty Thor

Daredevil

Batman

(all four are the most recent)

edit: I picked these marvel/dc for their quality and variety in art and writing styles.

Recent titles within the last year or so that have wonderful art throughout?

Small list of popular titles.. mostly indie

Saga

Revival

Manhattan Projects

Nowhere Men

Hawkeye - All the issues with David Aja are amazing and incredibly modern - Highly recommended in the art department

The walking dead

The massive - #3-current

Invincible - Ryan Ottley is great at illustrating people getting punched and cities being destroyed

There are many more titles but I feel as though the art in those comics are very enjoyable.

To give her a good place to start in terms of sequential story telling and different (and successful) art types I'd recommend (since you asked for trades):

Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman: Hush

Daredevil: Guardian Devil

Walking Dead Vol. 1

Chew Vol 1

Then if you want to give her an idea from non-modern I'd also recommend

Spider-Man: Torment

Wolverine (Miller Mini)

X-Men: Days of Futures Past

That should give her a good idea how comics can be told sequentially and through various artists with different approaches to presentation. Plus, you can give her Tim Sale, Jim Lee, Joe Quesada, Tony Moore, and Todd McFarlane. A pretty good list of successful artists.

Mouse Guard

Cursed Pirate Girl

Saga

Revival

Walking Dead (if just for reading and studying - get compendiums from Amazon - absolute cheapest LEGAL method of getting majority of the story)

Batman (Killing Joke, Long Halloween, Court of the Owls)

Fear Agent

Amazing Spiderman (3 trade paperbacks that cover the McFarlane era, better printing and presentation for those story arcs)

Also, since you're trying to give her a foundation of artistic approaches that are well received, I'd recommend something by J. Scott Campbell (Danger Girl, I guess?) and Joe Madureira (Uncanny X-Men or Battle Chasers) as it's hard to deny their impact on the hobby.

Also, since you're trying to give her a foundation of artistic approaches that are well received, I'd recommend something by J. Scott Campbell (Danger Girl, I guess?) and Joe Madureira (Uncanny X-Men or Battle Chasers) as it's hard to deny their impact on the hobby.

^^

Both Danger Girl and Battle Chasers will be ideal for sequential storytelling from a graphical design background

The newest IDW reprint of the Danger Girl TPB is phenomenal and 100x better print quality than the original Image TPB.

Current Moderns that artists should be checking out.

Saga - Fiona Staples is all digital art, has an illustrative & painterly feel

Mighty Thor - Ribic's art style is painterly and epic feeling - befitting a god

Chew - Guillory has a cartoony style that fits the humor/dark humor of the story

Walking Dead - Adlard is very good at composition

Bedlam - good story but disturbing, but Rosimo is a good example of a modern experimental artist

Reaching back a few years, Frank Miller has a lot of great work that she should become familiar with: 300, Sin City, Ronin for non-superhero stories and DKR, early 80's Daredevil, and the 1st Wolverine mini for hero stories.

I love me some Joe Mad.