• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theagenes' Exotic Emporium of Esoterica Extraordinaire!

78 posts in this topic

Conan the Conqueror by Robert E. Howard (Gnome Press 1950) - First Edition. The first Conan book in amazingly high grade! This book is gorgeous with a FLAWLESS original dust jacket. Often the orange cover fades badly with this book especially the spine, but not this one. A deep, rich orange without even a hint of fading. You will not find a better dj. Any discoloration or white spots you see are glare and reflections on the mylar dj protector.

The book itself is also in excellent condition with just a hint of rubbing at the spine tips and small "5." written in the upper right corner of the first end paper (would love to have been the guy who bought this for five bucks back in the day). A superb near fine book in an as new jacket. $500

CtCFine0001_zps42a51a16.jpg

CtCFine0002_zps158255fa.jpg

CtCFine0003_zps17a8ca78.jpg

CtCFine0004_zps2474120e.jpg

P1050174_zpse8b71575.jpg

:takeit:

Conan the Conqueror by Robert E. Howard (Gnome Press 1950) - First Edition. The first Conan book in amazingly high grade! This book is gorgeous with a FLAWLESS original dust jacket. Often the orange cover fades badly with this book especially the spine, but not this one. A deep, rich orange without even a hint of fading. You will not find a better dj. Any discoloration or white spots you see are glare and reflections on the mylar dj protector.

The book itself is also in excellent condition with just a hint of rubbing at the spine tips and small "5." written in the upper right corner of the first end paper (would love to have been the guy who bought this for five bucks back in the day). A superb near fine book in an as new jacket. $500

P1050174_zpse8b71575.jpg

Great pickup

P1050174_zpse8b71575.jpg

Great pickup

Indeed, during the time I was focused on collecting 1st edition books, I don't think I saw a copy as nice as this.

Great story too. It's like Lord of the Rings minus all the interminable walking and talking, striped down to raw action.

Great pickup

Indeed, during the time I was focused on collecting 1st edition books, I don't think I saw a copy as nice as this.

Great story too. It's like Lord of the Rings minus all the interminable walking and talking, striped down to raw action.

Number 6, here's one you'll appreciate. (This one NOT for sale :) )

skullfacehighgrade.jpg

skullface03.jpg

skullface04.jpg

Great pickup

Number 6, here's one you'll appreciate. (This one NOT for sale :) )

skullfacehighgrade.jpg

skullface03.jpg

skullface04.jpg

OH HOLY !!!! :o THAT is an AMAZING copy!

I believe that has Pigeons From Hell, probably one of THE most freakiest stories I've ever read, made into a decent (but not great) episode of Thriller.

A keeper indeed! Thanks for sharing! :applause:

Here's something rare and cool. For more infon check out the handful listed on ABE, especially Lloyd Curry's descriptions:

Mysterious Island 1st US Combined Edition

The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (Scribner, Armstrong & Co. 1876) GD+. First US Combined Edition. One of the scarcest of the early Verne US editions. Blue boards with gilt. Hinges partially cracked, rubbing and shelf wear. $2500

scan0015_zps02e8f765.jpg

P1050175_zpse0968741.jpg

P1050176_zpsc2a5f091.jpg

From a monetary standpoint, would it make sense at all to have this professionally repaired?

From a monetary standpoint, would it make sense at all to have this professionally repaired?

Mark, its appearance could certainly be improved and reinforcing the hinges would definitely help it structurally, but I doubt it would improve its value monetarily. While book collectors aren't as obsessively negative towards restoration as comic collectors, it does still affect the value quite a bit. This one is still in pretty good shape overall and most of the damage is cosmetic so it's not at the level where restoration would increase its value. Maybe if both hinges were fully cracked.

Alright, let's wake this thread up with a little nudity.

Conan 24 NUDE Variant CGC 9.8 White (Dark Horse) - Featuring an amazing well-trimmed Hyborian lass. Tupenny heads not included. $100 $95 Reduced!

Conan24Variant_zps7eb101b4.jpg

Woaw, let's don't get carried away!

And I agree you should have that Verne profesionnally repaired before selling it.

If I spent the money to have it repaired I think I'd have to keep it. hm

Actually, it's so cool I'm perfectly happy to keep it anyway.

Alright, let's wake this thread up with a little nudity.

Conan 24 NUDE Variant CGC 9.8 White (Dark Horse) - Featuring an amazing well-trimmed Hyborian lass. Tupenny heads not included. $100

Conan24Variant_zps7eb101b4.jpg

:banana:

Conan 24 NUDE Variant CGC 9.8 White (Dark Horse) - Featuring an amazing well-trimmed Hyborian lass.

Trimming lessens the value. This should have full overhang, with minor slits allowed.

lol