• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obscure Superman

9 posts in this topic

These comics are not golden age but I thought they might be of interests to superman collectors. These books are from 1980 and 1982 from the Health Education Council and they were given away in England. They are quite rare. These are the only ones I have seen for sale. They are quite ahead of their time. These books are about the dangers of cigarette smoke and in 1980 cigarettes were not looked down upon like it is now. The story has Superman up against the dreaded villain, Nick O' Teen. The only mention of these books is The International book of comics by Dennis Giffords which has a picture of the first one and has a small paragraph about it. If you are a die hard Superman fan or collect DC's, this is a must for you.

British1001_zpsd9b83f85.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for posting it.

To nitpick: The anti-smoking crusade actually goes back much further than 1980. In the U.S., it dates back to at least the Surgeon General's report of 1964. Warning labels on cigarette packs were required beginning in 1965 and TV and radio advertising was banned beginning in 1971. I'm old enough to remember this stuff! :preach:

Back in 1970, tobacco advertising dominated the airwaves. There were discussions on if the three networks could survive if they lost such a major part of their budgets. Funny that I don't recall anyone asking if tobacco could survive losing it ability to advertise.

Kool comics. I'd like to see more of Nick O'teen.

That second picture of Superman looks somewhat similar to the one in Superman vs Muhammad Ali Treasury book where big blue takes out the entire Scrubb space ship fleet by crashing through their space ships...