• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any tips for buying HG Coppers?

28 posts in this topic

I've been buying Copper comics for years, but I still haven't found that great way to buy HG copies. I don't go to conventions, and my local comic shops don't have the best selection.

There are tons of copies of these books out there, but it's a crapshoot when buying copies on eBay, online shops, or even here on the boards. For every copy I get that meets my standards, there are 10 that don't. So what I'm left with is "worthless" copies.

The other option is to buy graded copies. But I still have a hard time justifying paying $50 for a common, non-key book that can be found in dollar bins around the country.

I suppose another option is to press something that's not quite HG, but that just adds more cost to the issue.

With that in mind, what works best for you when buying HG Coppers?

My best source for HG Copper over the last two years have been 1). Dollar bins at Cons and 2). Collections picked up via ebay or Craigslist.

I've turned many a book I paid 10-20 cents for in a collection into a $100-$200+ book after certification. In my opinion, there are still enough old school collectors out there who think that CA is garbage that you can still find nice collections/accumulations of the stuff at a good price.

Stop looking for HG copper age. A quarter bin common copper book is still a quarter bin copper book, even with a 9.8 in the upper left corner. IMO.

Opinions like these (on behalf of dealers and other sellers) are why I can fund most of my SS collection by hand picking 9.8 Copper and Moderns, getting them graded and selling them to the label chasers. :banana:

Stop looking for HG copper age. A quarter bin common copper book is still a quarter bin copper book, even with a 9.8 in the upper left corner. IMO.

Opinions like these (on behalf of dealers and other sellers) are why I can fund most of my SS collection by hand picking 9.8 Copper and Moderns, getting them graded and selling them to the label chasers. :banana:

New suckers are arriving into the hobby everyday.

Not sure if I'd call 'em suckers. I mean, some people might want a full run of 9.8 in a certain title. Does that make them a sucker? Sounds like someone buying what he wants as part of his collection.

Darn right. As I always like to tell young Flippers who complain that a show is picked through: "it's nice to hit home runs, but everyone, including your competition, is swingin' for the fences. Not everyone is willing to pour through boxes of stuff to do the work, but you can hit 10-20 singles every Con if you try."

I think people are forgetting that as common as a lot of Copper is, many books don't have great representation in 9.8...yet. Take a look at GPA for Classic X-Men # 1 in 9.8. If anyone here predicted a common reprint book from 1986 would command $150 in 9.8, well, then you are well ahead of the curve.

Darn right. As I always like to tell young Flippers who complain that a show is picked through: "it's nice to hit home runs, but everyone, including your competition, is swingin' for the fences. Not everyone is willing to pour through boxes of stuff to do the work, but you can hit 10-20 singles every Con if you try."

Not only that, but you don't have to risk a bunch of capital. I see these guys spending 5k on a book hoping for a CPR and a $1500 profit. I made close to $1500 off of books that I bought at Gem City last year and didn't pay more than $50 for a single book, and the biggest home run was a 9.8 Batman 492 Platinum that I paid $5 for.

I like being Ichiro - lots of singles and doubles and almost never striking out.

Not only that, but you don't have to risk a bunch of capital. I see these guys spending 5k on a book hoping for a CPR and a $1500 profit. I made close to $1500 off of books that I bought at Gem City last year and didn't pay more than $50 for a single book, and the biggest home run was a 9.8 Batman 492 Platinum that I paid $5 for.

I like being Ichiro - lots of singles and doubles and almost never striking out.

See, I knew there was a reason I liked you....though I knew it had nothing to do with your wit or personality. :baiting:

I made 10 grand in 3 months selling graded copper books. I didn't pay a whole lot for most of them, either. You have to know what to buy, and have the great eye for grading. Copper is a gold mine. They can be found everywhere, and most ignore them. But, there's a lot of collectors willing to pay big bucks for 9.8's. I welcome them with open arms. :cloud9:

Shhhhh :sumo:

Nothing to see here. Move along.

obiwan-arentthedroids.jpg

Translation: What you collect sucks.

Translation: What you collect sucks.

lol Preach on, brother!

Shhhhh :sumo:

Nothing to see here. Move along.

obiwan-arentthedroids.jpg

:roflmao: Ancient Chinese secret...