• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TV host refuses to auction Captain America #1

38 posts in this topic

That was filmed last September. It was all done on spec as they weren't sure that anything would get aired. I didn't even know the show got scheduled. Sunday I started getting calls. I'm having to fight off the paparazzi now.

Before you know it Taylor Swift will be calling you for a date.

It was very heavily edited. Basically they knew what the comic was, but not much else as far as the background or the collecting market. So we taped a ton of conversation with me telling him about the history of comics, of Cap 1 in particular, who The CGC was (I think it's funny that he called them Comics Grading Company!), and what the value was. Later they taped those off screen shots where he would say all that stuff from an "expert" point of view. As far as the auction...it was an actual live event and the sales were binding. But they couldn't really give me any info as to how they were promoting it, who the bidders would be or if there was going to be an online component. So I didn't feel comfortable with auctioning it through them. I made that clear to them ahead of time. We had a long discussion about how to keep the segment, and to their credit they came up with the whole idea of a mutual decision not to auction the comic where neither party looked like a bad guy. They were very excited to have a piece of memorabilia, and especially a comic book, that was war related and that wasn't a weapon as part of the show. Four or five members of the crew were actually pretty knowledgable comics fans. They filmed for about a week and a couple of them came by the shop on new comic day to get their fix. It was really pretty cool to be a part of.
The actual episode will air on the 20th, correct?

I think it ran last Sunday night. I got a couple of calls Monday from people who saw it. The producers were supposed to let the participants know when the show would air but I never got a call or e-mail. So I had no idea if the show had even been picked up by Nat Geo.

That was filmed last September. It was all done on spec as they weren't sure that anything would get aired. I didn't even know the show got scheduled. Sunday I started getting calls. I'm having to fight off the paparazzi now.

That would be great, but I'm a little over 18. She wouldn't be interested.

lol

[font:Times New Roman]No joke, I'd say you're pushing 20 horse-hands![/font]

Congratulations Richard! You looked and sounded great.

He did indeed. Very handsome and the camera made him look taller

The other guy was standing on a box.

You should've brought this to the auction. I bet it would've sold :P

255170.jpg

Yep that book would've sold in a heartbeat no doubt! Still waiting for CGC to note it as a classic cover lol

[font:Times New Roman]But I thought the version on this tee was the variant everyone was seeking... [/font] (shrug)

23514125-3aea-44b1-9e31-a6f76eb5ef1d_zps1b52fac2.jpg

I think that book would be great value for $85K today with only a cover clean. I just checked GPA and I didn't realize that there is a SP 9.2 and the Church SP 9.0! :o Anyone have pics of the Church copy?

Anyone have pix of the Allentown copy? :cloud9: I heard that book is perfect in every way