• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TV host refuses to auction Captain America #1

38 posts in this topic

That was filmed last September. It was all done on spec as they weren't sure that anything would get aired. I didn't even know the show got scheduled. Sunday I started getting calls. I'm having to fight off the paparazzi now.

That was filmed last September. It was all done on spec as they weren't sure that anything would get aired. I didn't even know the show got scheduled. Sunday I started getting calls. I'm having to fight off the paparazzi now.
:cloud9:

What's really funny is that the host is "portrayed" as being more knowledgeable than R.E.

Yes, that was kind of annoying.

I think it showed a lack of fortitude to not auction the comic. Don't know about the show or the host's auctions, but who knows, a non-comics crowd may actually have bid more than a "comics" crowd for the comic.

Interesting, though. Thanks to original poster for sharing!

What's really funny is that the host is "portrayed" as being more knowledgeable than R.E.

Agreed! That guy had lots of goobery commentary. ("The best thing about this comic is that it's graded." lol ) Kudos to Bedrock for not giving him a knowledgeable smack-down.

It was very heavily edited. Basically they knew what the comic was, but not much else as far as the background or the collecting market. So we taped a ton of conversation with me telling him about the history of comics, of Cap 1 in particular, who The CGC was (I think it's funny that he called them Comics Grading Company!), and what the value was. Later they taped those off screen shots where he would say all that stuff from an "expert" point of view. As far as the auction...it was an actual live event and the sales were binding. But they couldn't really give me any info as to how they were promoting it, who the bidders would be or if there was going to be an online component. So I didn't feel comfortable with auctioning it through them. I made that clear to them ahead of time. We had a long discussion about how to keep the segment, and to their credit they came up with the whole idea of a mutual decision not to auction the comic where neither party looked like a bad guy. They were very excited to have a piece of memorabilia, and especially a comic book, that was war related and that wasn't a weapon as part of the show. Four or five members of the crew were actually pretty knowledgable comics fans. They filmed for about a week and a couple of them came by the shop on new comic day to get their fix. It was really pretty cool to be a part of.

[font:Times New Roman]That's a great story, Richard, and a wonderful opportunity. :applause:

Alas, most reality television does little to educate the public about the actual history or real-world marketplace of collectibles (Antiques Roadshow being the one possible exception and only through brief information exchanges). On the flip side, any publicity that ratchets up interest in the hobby or business side of comic collecting is a BIG plus in my book.

Personally, I'd much rather see someone of your gravitas interviewed than those who typically represent the public's preconceived notion of collectors. We're all geeks at heart, but network programmers, like the news media, are only interested in searching for stereotypical extremes to reinforce their hoped-for audience's perception of normalcy or rather, how abnormal everybody else is.

IMO, you acquitted yourself as very knowledgeable and presented the most positive face possible for the hobby, no one could ask for more.[/font] (thumbs u

It was very heavily edited. Basically they knew what the comic was, but not much else as far as the background or the collecting market. So we taped a ton of conversation with me telling him about the history of comics, of Cap 1 in particular, who The CGC was (I think it's funny that he called them Comics Grading Company!), and what the value was. Later they taped those off screen shots where he would say all that stuff from an "expert" point of view. As far as the auction...it was an actual live event and the sales were binding. But they couldn't really give me any info as to how they were promoting it, who the bidders would be or if there was going to be an online component. So I didn't feel comfortable with auctioning it through them. I made that clear to them ahead of time. We had a long discussion about how to keep the segment, and to their credit they came up with the whole idea of a mutual decision not to auction the comic where neither party looked like a bad guy. They were very excited to have a piece of memorabilia, and especially a comic book, that was war related and that wasn't a weapon as part of the show. Four or five members of the crew were actually pretty knowledgable comics fans. They filmed for about a week and a couple of them came by the shop on new comic day to get their fix. It was really pretty cool to be a part of.
The actual episode will air on the 20th, correct?

[font:Times New Roman]That's a great story, Richard, and a wonderful opportunity. :applause:

Alas, most reality television does little to educate the public about the actual history or real-world marketplace of collectibles (Antiques Roadshow being the one possible exception and only through brief information exchanges). On the flip side, any publicity that ratchets up interest in the hobby or business side of comic collecting is a BIG plus in my book.

Personally, I'd much rather see someone of your gravitas interviewed than those who typically represent the public's preconceived notion of collectors. We're all geeks at heart, but network programmers, like the news media, are only interested in searching for stereotypical extremes to reinforce their hoped-for audience's perception of normalcy or rather, how abnormal everybody else is.

IMO, you acquitted yourself as very knowledgeable and presented the most positive face possible for the hobby, no one could ask for more.[/font] (thumbs u

No doubt. Hard to imagine a better ambassador for the hobby. (thumbs u