• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some information on Marvel's new titles

21 posts in this topic

The April solicitation information for the titles (released under the banner name, "Tsunami") reads:

HIS POWER IS UNFATHOMABLE

NAMOR #1

Cover by Mizuki Sakakibara

Bill Jemas & Andi Watson (w), Mizuki (cover to X-Men Unlimited #44) Sakakibara (a)

THE PRINCE OF ATLANTIS IS BACK!

Beneath the waves, well out of sight from human land dwellers, lies the undersea empire of Atlantis, and its heir is a young hero who yearns for the world above water even as he struggles to maintain his undersea birthright. Japanese manga sensation Mizuki Sakakibara brings the exotic undersea world of young Prince Namor to life in all of its lush and delicate splendor, and writers Bill Jemas (ORIGIN, ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN) and Andi Watson (BREAKFAST AFTER NOON) weave a romantic tale of a young hero who finds love above the waves while gradually coming to terms with who he is.

NAMOR #2

Cover by Mizuki Sakakibara

Bill Jemas & Andi Watson (w), Mizuki Sakakibara (a)

Namor #1 is just 25 cents! Be sure to stock-up on issue #2!

Things get complicated for young Prince Namor when he meets a beautiful land dwelling girl!

32 PGS. WITH ADS/FC/ALL AGES...$2.25

GUESS WHO'S BACK

VENOM #1

Cover by Sam Kieth

Daniel Way (w)/Francisco Herrera (p)

Venom's back and has popped up near the Arctic Circle, leaving a trail of dead bodies in his wake. Now able to jump from host-to-host with the greatest of ease, Venom is on the run from mysterious forces, each with their own agenda for the elusive alien. But is this the same Venom that we've come to know and fear? How does Eddie Brock figure in this?

A big budget, sci-fi/horror, rollercoaster ride that reintroduces one of Spider-Man's most deadly foes into the Marvel Universe.

32 PGS. WITH ADS/FC/MARVEL PG...$2.25

MARVEL'S NEWEST HERO

SENTINEL #1

Cover by UDON

Sean McKeever (w)/UDON (p)

"SALVAGE" Part 1

Juston Seyfert is about to make a discovery that will change his life: the ravaged remains of a giant robot buried in his family's salvage yard! But what could a downtrodden, disillusioned high school sophomore possibly do with a 30-foot tall engine of destruction? Anything he wants!

"SENTINEL is a teen sci-fi drama about finding your voice, learning to stand up for yourself without being irresponsible, and discovering what it means to be a hero in the 21st century," says writer Sean McKeever. "Oh yeah, it's also about a boy and his giant robot."

32 PGS. WITH ADS/FC/MARVEL PG...$2.99

4...3...2...1...IGNTITION

HUMAN TORCH #1

Cover by Skottie Young

Karl Kesel (w)l/Skottie Young (p)

"BURN" Part 1

Deep inside, Johnny Storm has a burning desire for … something … and not just when he bursts into flame as the Human Torch. Though rich, famous & privy to sights and experiences most people can't imagine, something's missing - A direction. A purpose. A spark…

Writer Karl Kesel and future superstar artist Skottie Young reignite that spark and redefine the FF's youngest, most impetuous member. Now more fire-like than ever, Johnny is capable of great warmth, and even greater fury. Is he always on the edge of exploding into a raging inferno, or just having so much fun he wants everyone to think so?!

32 PGS. WITH ADS/FC/MARVEL PG...$2.50

CHANGE IS GOOD

MYSTIQUE #1

Cover by Joseph Michael Linsner

Brian K. Vaughan (w)/Jorge Lucas (p)

"DEAD DROP GORGEOUS" Part 1

Mystique can be anything you want her to be… In a world of intrigue and seduction, where mutants are feared and hated and the X-MEN are not enough to protect them, Mystique uses her shape-shifting abilities to further her own mutant rights agenda. And to get want she wants, she's not afraid to do WHATEVER's necessary.

Mystique's true motives are put to the test in this brand new beginning for the mutant chameleon.

32 PGS. WITH ADS/FC/MARVEL PG...$2.99

WHO ARE THE RUNAWAYS

RUNAWAYS #1

Cover by Jo Chen

Brian K. Vaughan (w)/Adrian Alphona (p)

At some point in their lives, all young people believe that they have something to runaway from home for? But what if it they REALLY do? When six young friends discover that their parents all share a deep, dark secret, the shocked teens find strength in one another and together run away from their homes and straight into the adventure of their lives.

Smallville meets Harry Potter in this all-ages action/adventure series.

32 PGS. WITH ADS/FC/MARVEL PG...$2.5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More information to come later today

Gus Beezer will be three one-shots rush-solicited for April release

Namor sounds awful. Is this supposed to be Ultimate Namor?

What I will check out is Mystique (written by Y the Last Man's Brian K. Vaughan) and Venom (because of the Spider-Man connection).

The others either don't sound interesting or have creative teams that I am not interested in.

Kev

NAMOR #1 - HIS POWER IS UNFATHOMABLE

What is unfathomable is Namor's character design (check it out at www.comicon.com/pulse)! This series is going to be like The Little Mermaid fused with Fathom with a heaping of Ultimatization thrown in. And who let Jemas write another book??? Oh wait, he's the boss. Anyway, this series is a sorry excuse to get Marvel prepped to cash in on the Namor movie (I think it's out next year).

VENOM #1

Oh GOD no. As I've said in the past, I'd rather see Rocket Racer or Brother Voodoo get their own series than ever see Venom again. At least he's on his own and not infecting the regular Spidey books (other than the Ultimate revamp and before the inevitable cross-overs). And what about the plot for the first storyline - it's just like the movie The Thing (which I'd rather go rent than read this book).

SENTINEL #1

At $2.99 a pop, I predict this will be the first of the new titles to get the AXE.

HUMAN TORCH #1

I would almost rather be set on fire than read this book. The art preview looks atrocious.

MYSTIQUE #1

Well, I will pick up the first issue just because of the creative team...if it's good, I'll stick around for the first storyarc. Still, here is another Marvel book that won't make it to issue #50.

RUNAWAYS #1

I'm glad to see Marvel targeting the kids with this book, with a good writer at the helm. I wish them well, but how can you sell to kids if the kids aren't going to the shops??? I'll probably pick up the first issue and watch as it becomes as unloved as Power Pack #1 in a few years.

Gene

I was actually looking forward to seeing the new Namor series. But reading about this manga style version leaves me cold. What is it with Marvels push towards manga style books? They should be leaving that to the Japanese and sticking to what they do best.

IMHO Manga style art just does not suit American super-hero books. frown.gif

Purely business motivated, as they see an itch that they must scratch... they are looking for the MMM - "mad manga money". From Newsarama's coverage of the press conference:

"Let me start out on this Tsunami publishing wave," said Jemas "The scene for the next few months is that we're going to constantly reach out to new creators and provide a pulpit and soapbox for them. This is part of that same initiative. It's no accident that between these two is our X-Men announcement, we're not going to stop telling great super hero stories. We have an editor CB Cebulski who understands the art of Japanese storytelling.

"Three of the great sensations have been Power Rangers, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh all came form Japan. We're gonna be in the middle of that, the Marvel way.

"You'll see all of these books hit in April May and June. The launch will be spearheaded by this 25 cent Namor book, which we think is a first class book. Andi Watson has done some good work on a -script. Namor's a character that's ready to go Hollywood. "Extending our reach to new creators to bring in new audiences. Part of the new audience we're trying to reach are teenage girls and boys. Manga really has established a hold with teenage girls."

"Mainstream readers are buying them in bookstores and Manga tpbs," Doran said. "If you look at Bookscan, 42 of the top 50 were manga trade paperbacks. They're out there, we just have to find them."

http://www.newsarama.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000120

Kev

Hey Kev, just wanted to say I caught your last round of ASM auctions..pretty good BINs (with the exception of ASM 137, not sure why everyone thinks that book is so valuable). Anyways, I almost hit a couple of the BIN's but luckily I read the description..here's guessing that Hulk 120 and the 126 go pretty quick..oh and btw, the 126..not highest grade anymore..I have a 9.8 wink.gif

Brian

Thanks Murph...

The guy who I often sell for has some strange ideas about pricing (hence that stuff about Paypal - ugh - he now refuses to pay for Paypal fees and my percentage is too low for me to just write off). Sometimes he prices to sell, other times he doesn't.... crazy.gif

So he basically hands me the listing description, pricing and the book, so I made the mistake of assuming that he was correct about the 126 being the highest graded. Has the census been updated to include your 9.8? (Congratulations BTW).

I agree about the 137, maybe because it's a Goblin cover? As for the price, not necessarily my idea either, but he has the formula, I just list them. We've dropped considerably on the 120 which was up for quite a bit more last fall.

Kev

But reading about this manga style version leaves me cold. What is it with Marvels push towards manga style books?

I didn't realize until reading the latest issue of Wizard that ALL of the aforementioned titles are going to be in Manga format, not just Namor.

You can now mark me down as planning to buy exactly ZERO of these new titles.

Gene

I didn't really have anything to add to this discussion...

I just felt like dredging up a year-old-thread... and this one was the big winner...

I'm still reeling from Marvel's announcement this week that the TROUBLE TPB has been cancelled... mad.gifmad.gif

I just felt like dredging up a year-old-thread... and this one was the big winner...

I'm still reeling from Marvel's announcement this week that the TROUBLE TPB has been cancelled... mad.gifmad.gif

I've been meaning to ask, 'House... what's the likelihood of an Exiles HC coming before the end of the next millenium? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I've been meaning to ask, 'House... what's the likelihood of an Exiles HC coming before the end of the next millenium? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Better than you might think... Marvel is rapidly tearing through the catalog of old material printing new trades and hardcovers. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Exiles HC appear in the next few months...

But then, I also wouldn't be surprised to see JC bidding on a 9.9 copy of Origin 1... smile.gif

Better than you might think... Marvel is rapidly tearing through the catalog of old material printing new trades and hardcovers. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Exiles HC appear in the next few months...

But then, I also wouldn't be surprised to see JC bidding on a 9.9 copy of Origin 1... smile.gif

Well, they've got FIVE volumes (at least) of the Exiles books out in PAPER TPBs... why can't they give me a HC?!?!?!?!??! WHY, MARVEL?!?!? WHY??????

Actually, what's frightening is that they cancelled the TROUBLE TP because they want to put out....

...drum roll please...

The TROUBLE HC!

A reliable source sent me this list:

Marvel has released some information about upcoming HC books in 2004. Here's the shortlist:

Best of Spider-Man Vol. 3: Amazing Spider-Man #46-58, 500

Daredevil Vol. 4: Daredevil #16-19, 51-55

Incredible Hulk Vol. 3: Incredible Hulk #55-64

Punisher Vol. 4: Punisher #28-37

Supreme Power: Supreme Power #1-12

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 4: Ultimate Spider-Man #40-45, 47-53

Ultimates: Ultimates #1-13

Trouble HC

Hulk: Gray HC

Marvel Encyclopedia Vol.5: Marvel Knights. (March)

Exact release dates are unknown except for the last item.

Kev.

Actually, what's frightening is that they cancelled the TROUBLE TP because they want to put out....

...drum roll please...

The TROUBLE HC!

A reliable source sent me this list:

Marvel has released some information about upcoming HC books in 2004. Here's the shortlist:

Best of Spider-Man Vol. 3: Amazing Spider-Man #46-58, 500

Daredevil Vol. 4: Daredevil #16-19, 51-55

Incredible Hulk Vol. 3: Incredible Hulk #55-64

Punisher Vol. 4: Punisher #28-37

Supreme Power: Supreme Power #1-12

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 4: Ultimate Spider-Man #40-45, 47-53

Ultimates: Ultimates #1-13

Trouble HC

Hulk: Gray HC

Marvel Encyclopedia Vol.5: Marvel Knights. (March)

Exact release dates are unknown except for the last item.

Kev.

893frustrated.gif

The Trouble HC makes sense - it is a better medium to immortalize the true Origin of Peter Parker

It's things like this that give Modern comics a bad name. 893naughty-thumb.gif

P.S. since there is no way in heck this is the origin of Spider-man, didn't you mention they may try and work it in as the Ultimate Spidey Origin"?