• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flash: Blitz TPB reprinting issues 192-200

6 posts in this topic

Picked up the new Flash TPB Blitz today. Started reading it and couldn't put it down. Loved the art and the writing. The Zoom story arc is the best I have read in a long time. It was very dark, sad, and tragic. Yet it was put together in such a way that was a little hopeful and moving. The multiple Flash characters or others with super speed is a little much, but Geoff Johns makes the best use of them. I might be catching a severe case of the DC bug. I love Marvel, but sometimes I have to go elsewhere to find the good reads.

He's also one heck of a nice guy. Very patient and he knows his stuff. He's the DC version of Bendis in that he can write a lot of books and all of them will be readable.

However he seems to respect DC's history and understands that one can tell good stories using classic characters without defficating all over them for the sake of "stirring things up".

Johns is like a plumber or an electrician. He fixes stuff that's been badly mucked up by amateurs and gives them an upgrade and a polish on top of that. If only he had been able to stay on Avengers instead of going exclusive with DC... then we wouldn't have "New" or "Young" Avengers.

However he seems to respect DC's history and understands that one can tell good stories using classic characters without defficating all over them for the sake of "stirring things up".

That's actually the sign of a "true writer" as it's extremely difficult to write great stories within the confines of history, than it is to be a complete hack and just [!@#%^&^] all over prior comics and characters.