• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's here! It's here!

10 posts in this topic

Latest addition...

I wrote a journal a couple weeks ago about how I had just spent more than I ever have before on a comic book. Well, that book has arrived and is now framed and hanging on my wall. Most of you have probably already scrolled down to take a look at the picture so I will just come out with it...the book is Amazing Adventures 11 CGC 9.6 with white pages! Tnerb was closest to guessing the issue with his suggestion that it was an Xmen appearance from the time between teams (Xmen 66-94). Its just such a historic time for the characters, I love it.

This is the most expensive Xmen appearance during that period and honestly I never expected to own a copy in this grade. With the black cover and the significance of the issue...first appearance of Beast with fur...this is a rare book to find in such great condition (thus the hefty price tag). My initial intent was to buy the best looking copy I could find raw and have it graded, which I did. The book I sent in came out a 9.0 which I was happy with. Now I had my sights set on a 9.6 copy which my wife couldnt understand but she supported nonetheless.

So what changed? A couple of things...one, the other rare (in high grade) Xmen appearances I have displayed are all in CGC 9.6 condition with white pages so if I wanted to display this issue it had to fit the same criteria. Two, after creating the Xmen The Missing Years set I was quickly booted from the top spot by someone who had also obtained a copy of this issue in this grade...and I aim to reclaim the number one ranking. Not being petty, just competitive, and having fun!

As an added bonus, I was able to sell my 9.0 copy, at a profit no less, and will be using the money to buy another issue. I will let you know how that turns out in another journal. Right now, I am going to reread Amazing Adventures 11 and admire the high grade copy I have displayed!

Til next time...

13205.jpg

See more journals by surfer99

Congratulations, that's one impressive key you have there! Nice job on the profit from the 9.0 as well, hope that leads to another sweet book. I was looking at your sets the other day, nice job on assembling and sharing the X-Men appearances between teams, I never knew there were so many of them.

Congrats Surfer! She is a beauty. You may know I'm a big fan of Gil Kane (Eli Katz) which I see he's done another "Amazing" cover (pun intended)! But I also see credit to Bill Everett (co-creator of Simon Garth: The Zombie)... another favorite of mine.

I always loved the Beast... but I got to know him more as a member of the Avengers than the X-Men and I always appreciated his friendship with fellow Avengers Wonder Man (Simon Williams). One of my favorite issues is a warped and sad little story appearing in Avengers Volume 1, No. 203 where its just Beast and Wonder Man battlin' these little subturreanen creatures called "Crawlers" and it was illustrated by the legend: Carmine Infantino.

Here's a synopsis directly copied from Marvel Database on Wiki:

"Lost at night in a strange neighborhood, Wonder Man and the Beast enter the city sewers to search for a missing child supposedly menaced by strange creatures called Crawlers. When they find young Hugo Lopez, he proves to have befriended the Crawlers, who were accidentally created from the illegally dumped wastes of anaerobic mutation research. Despite the interference of a group of street toughs, the heroes return the boy home, but he again runs away from his abusive mother and rejoins the sewer creatures. The misguided locals return, armed with explosives, and a fight breaks out. The Crawlers are being burned alive by incendiary chemicals when an explosion destroys the sewer wall, sucking water, Crawlers, and Hugo Lopez out into the river. Exiting the sewer, Wonder Man and the Beast turn to find that everyone else has vanished, and when they try to report the incident, there is no evidence that anything has happened."

Anyway... congrats on the upgrade to your collection... or as the Beast would say, "Oh My Stars and Garters!"

Just out of curiousity... I looked up the meaning and origin of Hank McCoy's favorite phrase...

"This expression dates back to the beginning of the 19th century and refers to the medals and awards presented by the British Empire. (Order of the Garter, et al) The use of "stars and garters" is considerably older. It shows up in Bleak House by Dickens. (1853) and is the name of many British Pubs. Credited to X-Men's Beast, Dr. Hank McCoy."

SW3D

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

SW3D, I'm working on an Avengers #1-300 set of reading copies. I really enjoy these stories. I bought a mini-run awhile back at my LCS of like #180-220. The last issue I read was #196 with the defeat of the Taskmaster so I'll soon get to the issue you talked about. Thanks for the "Stars and Garters" reference as well. I suddenly have the urge for some pub style fish and chips. Mmmm...

sig.jpg

And this gives me even more reason to continue to read each and every entry. Not only are my eyes enlightened by an "Amazing" cover but SW3D's reference to Beast's favorite saying is icing on the cake. It truly is awesome to see finds and pick-up's like these.

Congratulations, Surf! That is a gorgeous book and a killer bronze key! A lot of collectors don't even know that the Beast didn't always have fur! lol. What makes this iconic issue so cool is the dark tone this entire book conveyed. The only thing that would have made it darker was if it was totally printed in black and white. Watching Hank deal with his self-inflicted mutation was a psychotic adventure into his own paranoia and fear at what he had done. He even took on a bestial nature for a few issues there until he figured out how to maintain his identity as well as his very sanity. Great stuff! I see you are now all of 363 points away from taking my #1 spot in our X-Men between team appearances. I have no doubt you'll be grabbing that spot soon while I concentrate on building my high grade Daredevil and X-Men series. You've got an awesome set there, pal! Congrats on the killer book once again! That is a gorgeous copy!

Congratulations, Surf! That is a gorgeous book and a killer bronze key! A lot of collectors don't even know that the Beast didn't always have fur! lol. What makes this iconic issue so cool is the dark tone this entire book conveyed. The only thing that would have made it darker was if it was totally printed in black and white. Watching Hank deal with his self-inflicted mutation was a psychotic adventure into his own paranoia and fear at what he had done. He even took on a bestial nature for a few issues there until he figured out how to maintain his identity as well as his very sanity. Great stuff! I see you are now all of 363 points away from taking my #1 spot in our X-Men between team appearances. I have no doubt you'll be grabbing that spot soon while I concentrate on building my high grade Daredevil and X-Men series. You've got an awesome set there, pal! Congrats on the killer book once again! That is a gorgeous copy!

High praise coming from you Xfiles, thanks! Totally agree on the darker tone of this series and you make some keen observations there. Good luck on expanding your other sets and um...pay no attention to that X-men the Missing Years set behind the curtain. :whatev:

sig.jpg