• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll, how should CGC grade tape on a comic?

How should tape be classified by CGC?  

591 members have voted

1. 1. How should tape be classified by CGC?

106 posts in this topic

It's not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy that I can slap some scotch tape on a book and it would result in a blue Label, but if I use archival tape it gets a PLOD?

Honestly, does anyone think this is a good idea and should be rewarded such?

I don't think tape of any kind should be regarded as "restoration". You don't "restore" anything with tape. At best, it's preventative. Preventative of more tearing, preventative of losing the cover, preventative of falling apart. It's not restoration.

So do you think that the grade should ignore the tape or do you think it should be a higher grade because it has "repaired" the tear?

I think it should be downgraded because of the tape. And I also don't think a tear is repaired with tape, it's being prevented from getting worse. I don't like the word "repair" in comic book grading. You either keep something from getting worse, or you restore it back to it's original form. "Repair" implies some sort of gray area between restored and un-restored.

The book I subbed looks like a 2.5-3.0 - however, I am assuming that I'd be very lucky to get back a 1.8 (which I'd be happy with) after adding the tape.

I recently bought a detached cover book, got some non-archival 3M transparent tape, did a few practice runs on a different book, then taped the detached cover to the back of the book and sent it in for a sub. I'd much rather see "three pieces of tape on spine" than "COVER DETACHED" on my blue label. (shrug)

Wow, I'd never purposely damage a book like that. :cry:

Wait, is this a joke? hm

It's not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy that I can slap some scotch tape on a book and it would result in a blue Label, but if I use archival tape it gets a PLOD?

I don't think tape of any kind should be regarded as "restoration". You don't "restore" anything with tape. At best, it's preventative. Preventative of more tearing, preventative of losing the cover, preventative of falling apart. It's not restoration.

So do you think that the grade should ignore the tape or do you think it should be a higher grade because it has "repaired" the tear?

I think it should be downgraded because of the tape. And I also don't think a tear is repaired with tape, it's being prevented from getting worse. I don't like the word "repair" in comic book grading. You either keep something from getting worse, or you restore it back to it's original form. "Repair" implies some sort of gray area between restored and un-restored.

I agree, that's why I said "repair" instead of repair. I couldn't think of the proper expression for it.

I don't care if its scotch tape, archival tale, duct tape, electric tape, cassette tape, whatever... It should get PLOD.

I was pissed when a comic I submitted came back PLOD with the notation - tear sealed with Bon Jovi :P tape. I felt sick. Can't imagine how I missed that. I could have lived with it had it been Iron Maiden tape. :(

While I would never own Bon Jovi tape I must say this:

I had a bunch of free Bon Jovi tickets fall into my lap back in 2008. I went expecting nothing and was pleasently surprised. The studio versions are meh, the live tracks are pretty good and the guy knows how to pace a show.

Unfortunately for the Jovi, the best they will ever be known as is the third best musical act to come out of Jersey. (Behind Sinatra and Springsteen)

I recently bought a detached cover book, got some non-archival 3M transparent tape, did a few practice runs on a different book, then taped the detached cover to the back of the book and sent it in for a sub. I'd much rather see "three pieces of tape on spine" than "COVER DETACHED" on my blue label. (shrug)

I'd never purposely damage a historical document like that, but a comic book - yes. I would tape the entire front cover if it gave me a better label. In a cold minute.

I'd never purposely damage a historical document like that, but a comic book - yes. I would tape the entire front cover if it gave me a better label. In a cold minute.

Didn't you just say that CGC should downgrade for tape?

I agree, that's why I said "repair" instead of repair. I couldn't think of the proper expression for it.

I think CGC might use that word to navigate some blurry areas for it's grading. I think because the hobby covers so many different attitudes towards what is and isn't acceptable - we will always have to have some gray area in the grading.

Yes, but some people prefer tape notations to their books than 'cover detached' notations. I'm a low-grade book buyer, and for me, I prefer tape than detachment, the book I just recently taped went for almost $100 more with a taped cover than the detached cover I bought (that's why I bought it). Other people have different views on the value of a taped book vs. a detached cover book, of course - that's just my thinking.

I understand why they allow tape on some books to recveive a blue label while downgrading the book. However, there should be some distinction I guess, if possible, for a difference in consideration between new tape v old tape.

I am going to take this a step further. I believe that a book that has archival tape or that has a cover reinforced should receive a green label. The book has been conserved, not restored.

Yes, but some people prefer tape notations to their books than 'cover detached' notations. I'm a low-grade book buyer, and for me, I prefer tape than detachment, the book I just recently taped went for almost $100 more with a taped cover than the detached cover I bought (that's why I bought it). Other people have different views on the value of a taped book vs. a detached cover book, of course - that's just my thinking.

It went for $100 more, but did the CGC grade go up after adding the tape?

Both books were raw (FR/GD). I'm pretty sure my grade won't go up at all - I just wanted a tape notation on the label, not cover detached.

Both books were raw (FR/GD). I'm pretty sure my grade won't go up at all - I just wanted a tape notation on the label, not cover detached.

Is your intention to keep or flip the book?

Just curious

Just curious

It's a keeper for the time being, however - I may upgrade someday. I definitely didn't buy it to flip - and in all honesty, it's a really nice looking FR/GD, so presentation-wise, I may not feel the need to upgrade once it's slabbed.

I've taped books on occasion. I wouldn't do it to a nice VGish book, but if the book is a Fair reader copy with the cover split in pieces at the spine, I'd much rather have the spine feel solid and survive a few reads as opposed to crumbling apart. I'd venture a guess that in the larger pool of collectors/readers... at least those that regularly buy low-grade GA books... that wouldn't be too radical a proposition.

(And obviously, some books will just never make financial sense to professionally restore the right way.)

That said, I definitely agree that CGC's current policy should change -- a book should not be going UP in grade if the whole spine is taped up.

Just curious

It's a keeper for the time being, however - I may upgrade someday. I definitely didn't buy it to flip - and in all honesty, it's a really nice looking FR/GD, so presentation-wise, I may not feel the need to upgrade once it's slabbed.

Personally, I would rather a detached cover than adding tape - especially if I was slabbing the book.