• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll, how should CGC grade tape on a comic?

How should tape be classified by CGC?  

591 members have voted

1. 1. How should tape be classified by CGC?

106 posts in this topic

Tape should be treated as a defect and downgraded for it .

^^

downgraded from the version of the book with no tape?

So if its a 2.5 with a detached cover, it would be what when the cover is reattached with tape? below 2.5?

Tape should be treated as a defect and downgraded for it .

^^

downgraded from the version of the book with no tape?

So if its a 2.5 with a detached cover, it would be what when the cover is reattached with tape? below 2.5?

I certainly wouldn't grade it higher than a 2.5 just because someone stuck it back together with tape that's going to turn everything it touches poo stained brown in a few years.

I am picking this up tomorrow on the way home from work.

It has tape... should it be lower because of the tape or higher if it did not have the tape? Basically, based on cover alone, did CGC downgrade due to the tape? Or, based on teh cover, if it did not have tape on it would it have been higher?

image.jpg

It has tape... should it be lower because of the tape or higher if it did not have the tape? Basically, based on cover alone, did CGC downgrade due to the tape? Or, based on teh cover, if it did not have tape on it would it have been higher?

image.jpg

They do downgrade for tape, but they downgrade more for a detached cover. So, a book that's cover is attached with tape grades higher than the same book with no tape and a detached cover.

Haven't read all of the responses so it has probably been said, but a book should be down graded factoring in all defects which would include tape and the defect the tape is repairing as if the tape were not there.

image.jpg

They do downgrade for tape, but they downgrade more for a detached cover. So, a book that's cover is attached with tape grades higher than the same book with no tape and a detached cover.

Tape downgrade + GA bump = a wash...

At the very least CGC should indicate on the label whether the interior tape is at the staple - frequently an indicator that it has been used to reattach the cover, or at least reinforce a weak connection.

If comic book was taped by somebody during the 40s,50s,60,and 70s it is acceptable,but if somebody takes a comic book from the 40s,50s,60,and 70s and decides to tape it now,then that`s unacceptable as they are trying to game the system.

So inconclusion if a comic book was taped way back in the day it is acceptable,but if that same comic book gets taped now,then it`s unacceptable.

:)

Non-archival tape is not conservation because it is the addition of an element that causes MORE destruction to the artifact (paper) over time than the artifact would experience had the element not been added at all.

Personally, I think the current tape policy is one of the most egregious inconsistencies in grading.

Non-archival tape should not be treated any better than archival tape or any other additive treatment for that matter. Thus, it should get an amateur PLOD and always be noted on the label, since the grade will deteriorate along with the paper under the tape..

I posted this in the other thread, but it belongs here as well...

Here's my simple solution to the problem. CGC initiates a new policy stating the following: Comic book covers are attached with staples. In the grading process, CGC will treat comics with covers "attached" by any other material, tape, glue, etc., as detached. The book will be downgraded for a detached cover, and further downgraded for the foreign material present.

The only real problem with this scenario is that there are many books out there that have been upgraded because of covers attached with tape. But, that's a problem the hobby will just have to face if CGC is going to make a substantive change to its policy.

The only real problem with this scenario is that there are many books out there that have been upgraded because of covers attached with tape. But, that's a problem the hobby will just have to face if CGC is going to make a substantive change to its policy.

And it will be VERY interesting to see if they are willing to make such a substantive change.

If comic book was taped by somebody during the 40s,50s,60,and 70s it is acceptable,but if somebody takes a comic book from the 40s,50s,60,and 70s and decides to tape it now,then that`s unacceptable as they are trying to game the system.

So inconclusion if a comic book was taped way back in the day it is acceptable,but if that same comic book gets taped now,then it`s unacceptable.

:)

I think many agree with your position, but is CGC positioned to determine the age of the tape?

And is it different when a kid in the 70s tapes his OO book vs a dealer in the 70s tried to fix a book? And how is CGC supposed to tell the difference?

I posted this in the other thread, but it belongs here as well...

Here's my simple solution to the problem. CGC initiates a new policy stating the following: Comic book covers are attached with staples. In the grading process, CGC will treat comics with covers "attached" by any other material, tape, glue, etc., as detached. The book will be downgraded for a detached cover, and further downgraded for the foreign material present.

I agree with this 100%, change is not easy, but this change will prevent further desecration of our hobby's treasures. (thumbs u

Tape should be treated as a defect and the book downgraded if applicable.

For example, tape on the spine of book that is a 3.0 might not have any effect on the grade. While a piece of tape on a book that is otherwise a 9.0 should make it grade several grades lower. This would similar to the policy for writing in pencil on the cover, at a certain grade point the pencil writing no longer matters in factoring the grade as the book is brought down lower because of other issues.

The thing that is clear (as archival tape) is, tape should never increase a grade.