• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dale Roberts Comics @ MEGACON! 3 NEW COLLECTIONS

38 posts in this topic

Hey guys, been busting my butt turning up collections and trying to get everything ready for Megacon. I have picked up a ton of stuff this winter, from high grade Silver Age to boxes and boxes of Golden Age, and even some original art.

As a few of you know, I bought the collection of Denver Sherry, an old time collector/dealer from the Nashville area. He passed away a couple of years ago, and the family called me to see if I was interested. There were roughly 30 boxes, about 60% Golden Age, 30% Silver Age, and 10% Bronze. I have gone through everything and whittled the best stuff down to about 10 boxes, which I will be bringing to the show. Lots of Pre-code horror, ECs (including a Crime Suspenstories #20, 22), Disneys, Super-Hero, quite a bit of Eisner, Kurtzman, LB Cole, and some Frazetta, Baker, Fine, etc mixed in. Some really rare stuff too, including many Gerber 7s and 8s.

There were also somewhere around 200/250 Spirit Sections, including the first 30 or so complete.

I also have picked up lots of really nice Silver Age. I will be debuting the rest of the Night Owl collection, some of which were offered and sold here on the boards in my holiday sales thread. The best stuff I saved for the show inventory. Most of these books have super eye appeal and nice color and gloss.

About a month ago, I picked up about 12 boxes of primarily DC comics. The focus of this collection was Horror/Mystery and War (House of Secrets, House of Mystery, Ghosts, Unexpected, Witching Hour, Weird War, Our Army At War, GI Combat, Star Spangled War, Unknown Soldier, etc) , but there were also many DC super-hero comics, as well as some solid Kirby 4th world stuff. The grades were all over the place, but lots of cool books. I will have a couple of boxes of higher grade DC Horror/Mystery/War books at the show, as well as over a thousand deeply discounted mid/low grade Silver and Bronze books. These will be priced at $2 and $3, and many have values up to $20 and a little higher. Should go pretty fast. I also will have 1 long box of higher grades (up to 9.0) mostly Bronze and Copper issues of the same runs. These will be priced at $5.00, and most of these books also are valued in the $12 - 20.00 range.

Along with all of this, I have the other stuff I have been picking up all winter. This stuff includes lots of Spider-mans, X-Men, Neal Adams Batmans, Detectives, and other stuff, lots of keys and 1st appearances. Just off the top of my head, some of the highlights include....

Amazing Spider-man #15, 18, 101, 102, 39, 40, 101, 102, 129

Atom #35 - Oakland copy

Avengers #4, 62 (Northland), #125 (thanos)

Batman #181, 197 (2), 200, 234, 235, 238, 243, 245

Captain Marvel starlin issues

Conan #1

Daredevil #4,5,16, 81

FF #15, 49

Green Lantern #16(2)

Iron Fist #14 (2)

Iron Man #1 (2), #55

Justice League #21, 22

Marvel Premiere #15

Silver Surfer #3

and this doesn't even begin to tell everything, lots and lots more good stuff, probably better than some of the stuff I have listed here.

There were also 100 pages or so of original art in the collection, which I will probably have at the show.

Not sure of my booth number, but stop by and say hello and check out all the new stuff.

Lots of other stuff came to mind last night.

A full run of the Spirit (Quality and Fiction House, except for the #20).

A big run of the Funnies, many with Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter stories, as well as many Captain Midnight issues.

Multiple copies of Werewolf By Night #32 and Tomb of Dracula #10.

As a few of you know, I bought the collection of Denver Sherry, an old time collector/dealer from the Nashville area. He passed away a couple of years ago, and the family called me to see if I was interested. There were roughly 30 boxes, about 60% Golden Age, 30% Silver Age, and 10% Bronze. I have gone through everything and whittled the best stuff down to about 10 boxes, which I will be bringing to the show. Lots of Pre-code horror, ECs (including a Crime Suspenstories #20, 22), Disneys, Super-Hero, quite a bit of Eisner, Kurtzman, LB Cole, and some Frazetta, Baker, Fine, etc mixed in. Some really rare stuff too, including many Gerber 7s and 8s.

There were also somewhere around 200/250 Spirit Sections, including the first 30 or so complete.

Denver was another of those old time dealers that set up in shows around this area. Always seemed to have a decent selection of GA. Not a mega key kind of dealer, but a nice mix of stuff. Kind of a gruff old guy, but certainly missed. If I recall correctly, he was killed by a drunk driver.

Denver was another of those old time dealers that set up in shows around this area. Always seemed to have a decent selection of GA. Not a mega key kind of dealer, but a nice mix of stuff. Kind of a gruff old guy, but certainly missed. If I recall correctly, he was killed by a drunk driver.

Yes, thats exactly right.

BTW, hi Walter. Didn't realize that was you... doh!

I'll be easily distinguished from the other Boardies; as usual I'll be the one spending money.

We support Dale in other ways; some of us buy him a burger (me), some of us give him a back rub (Jim), some of us give him a back rub with oil, while partially undressed (Greggy).......

It's all good. :eek: