• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Comics 3 -- cover artist inquiry.

65 posts in this topic

You pose an interesting question, BBGun, with regards to Palais. I'm going to go back to the book and look at some examples of Palais and Sultan artwork.

It doesn't prove that he did the cover but the style is similar and he is the only one that worked on Futuro.

So BB, you are questioning whether the inside artwork is from Sultan as well?

I am not excessively familiar with Palais, but from what I have seen, the page layout in the Futuro story has a dynamism that is more close to Sultan’s style. Could it have been a collaboration between the two?

I seem to recall Palais worked on Four Favorites, is that right?

@jbcomicbox: Thanks for reposting the original art for that page. ;)

It doesn't prove that he did the cover but the style is similar and he is the only one that worked on Futuro.

So BB, you are questioning whether the inside artwork is from Sultan as well?

I am not excessively familiar with Palais, but from what I have seen, the page layout in the Futuro story has a dynamism that is more close to Sultan’s style. Could it have been a collaboration between the two?

I seem to recall Palais worked on Four Favorites, is that right?

@jbcomicbox: Thanks for reposting the original art for that page. ;)

I am pretty sure that the interior art is by Palais. Definitely not by Sultan. Cover could be done with a different inker but still probably Palais.

Story is all Rudy. There should be no doubt. Check Jerry Bails' Who's Who.

8556518514_dd0545794d_o.jpg

3080366815_0373b7da39_b.jpg

I am pretty sure that the interior art is by Palais. Definitely not by Sultan. Cover could be done with a different inker but still probably Palais.
Long ago I was told Sultan for both cover and interior but it's easy to ID Palais as the interior artist if you've seen enough of his work.

The cover design is more restrained and polished than the interior and I need to pull some books so that I have a decent sample for comparison and so that I can see the art more clearly.

Long ago I was told Sultan for both cover and interior but it's easy to ID Palais as the interior artist if you've seen enough of his work.

The cover design is more restrained and polished than the interior and I need to pull some books so that I have a decent sample for comparison and so that I can see the art more clearly.

Here is a terrific Palais cover I am reposting.......jb

135596.jpg.0e878fc1cf1d9b5a4e251de4ac25b6d6.jpg

Both Sultan and Kirby copied Fine as they were learning, so although I really like Sultan’s work, taken as a whole it can’t be compared to Fine’s.

The artwork for the Futuro story anyway, it’s very good, and if he did the story it surely did the cover: they are in the same style.

On some book (don’t recall which, it is a Yankee Doodle Jones story) Sultan did a splash page copying this beautiful Fine Doll Man splash page:

FECO3701_zps9ea9362b.jpg

In what issue did this splash appear?

Beautiful art! :cloud9:

That is the energetic cover I would have expected from Rudy and I would think that Palais drew the cover to Choice 3 (which contains part 2 of a story started in Great 3).

http://www.comics.org/issue/2148/cover/4/

But I can't quite get comfortable that the hand responsible for these drew the cover to Great 3.

I like that cover too, jb.

2075178252_a01af7ba84_b.jpg

Both Sultan and Kirby copied Fine as they were learning, so although I really like Sultan’s work, taken as a whole it can’t be compared to Fine’s.

The artwork for the Futuro story anyway, it’s very good, and if he did the story it surely did the cover: they are in the same style.

On some book (don’t recall which, it is a Yankee Doodle Jones story) Sultan did a splash page copying this beautiful Fine Doll Man splash page:

FECO3701_zps9ea9362b.jpg

In what issue did this splash appear?

Feature Comics #37, it should be the first page (I have just a low resolution JPG eBook, not the actual comic). :)

But I have some Magno & Davey and they look pretty different.

Why on the GCD they would credit this to Sultan, then?

BTW, BB, did you get my PM? ;)

GCD does not mention the artist who drew the cover for Great 3. :makepoint:

You are right! hm

Then, where did I read the cover and story were credited to Sultan? May be Jim Vadeboncoeur from the DCM forums, which often tried to credit many artists for GA books?

I don't think Jim would make that kind of mistake. He is much better than I am at spotting the artist's style. hm

Se do you think he agrees in crediting this to Palais?

Palais, from what I see, is quite different, not much in page layout, which is lively, I am thinking more of the poses. The cover has a "Fine-esque" thing to it, and also the drapes and posture of many figures on the insides.

Maybe it’s just that I have not enough familiarity with Palais? :tonofbricks: