• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Comics 3 -- cover artist inquiry.

65 posts in this topic

The artist is believed to be Charles Sultan, an imitator of Lou Fine who worked for the Iger shop that was responsible for the contents of Great.

Greetings venerable GA forums!

Could anyone help identify the artist here? google isn't helping me & I'm dumb. Thanks!

I tried to find the anwser for you Tupenny but, come up empty handed. I guess i'm dumb too. :insane:

The artist is believed to be Charles Sultan, an imitator of Lou Fine who worked for the Iger shop that was responsible for the contents of Great.

My guess was Lou Fine but I was in doubt as it is close but really isn't his style.

No offense to the Lou Fine fans but I think this is superior to him.

:sorry:

My guess was Lou Fine but I was in doubt as it is close but really isn't his style.

No offense to the Lou Fine fans but I think this is superior to him.

:sorry:

Lou Fine is an incredible artist but he did have one weakness in that his overall design of the image was not always of the highest quality. My favorite covers of his are generally those that were designed by Eisner and then pencilled/inked by Fine.

Charles Sultan is not a better artist but often produced high quality designs like this cover.

Before looking it up on GCD (no info on cover artist), I hadn't realized that this comic lasted only three issues. The three covers are really strikingly different. Number 3 is by far the best -- but you knew that! :D

I think Fine is a great artist, too. Very unique & unconventional. Like Kirby in that sense.

Thanks for the help, GA forums. I knew you would make this easy for me. A friend is going through BZ's thread this month, they sent the scan to me, & I was in awe.

Thanks again.

Both Sultan and Kirby copied Fine as they were learning, so although I really like Sultan’s work, taken as a whole it can’t be compared to Fine’s.

The artwork for the Futuro story anyway, it’s very good, and if he did the story it surely did the cover: they are in the same style.

On some book (don’t recall which, it is a Yankee Doodle Jones story) Sultan did a splash page copying this beautiful Fine Doll Man splash page:

FECO3701_zps9ea9362b.jpg

I think Fine is a great artist, too. Very unique & unconventional. Like Kirby in that sense.

Thanks for the help, GA forums. I knew you would make this easy for me. A friend is going through BZ's thread this month, they sent the scan to me, & I was in awe.

Thanks again.

Is that BZ's copy in the scan? One of the nicest copies I've seen.

Both Sultan and Kirby copied Fine as they were learning, so although I really like Sultan’s work, taken as a whole it can’t be compared to Fine’s.

The artwork for the Futuro story anyway, it’s very good, and if he did the story it surely did the cover: they are in the same style.

On some book (don’t recall which, it is a Yankee Doodle Jones story) Sultan did a splash page copying this beautiful Fine Doll Man splash page:

FECO3701_zps9ea9362b.jpg

Both pieces were posted on the boards before as a comparison. I believe a boardie has the OA for one of the splash pages as well.

Before looking it up on GCD (no info on cover artist), I hadn't realized that this comic lasted only three issues. The three covers are really strikingly different. Number 3 is by far the best -- but you knew that! :D

The back cover of #3 is better than the covers of #1 and 2...

great3bc.jpg

The back cover of #3 is better than the covers of #1 and 2...

great3bc.jpg

Nothing quite like '40s movie serials! lol

Could anyone help identify the artist here? google isn't helping me & I'm dumb. Thanks!

GreatComics3GA.jpg

I noticed that Palais also worked on that series. Could be one of his covers. Early splash pages by Rudi were pretty good.

FECO3701_zps9ea9362b.jpg

This splash is from Dynamic 8 with slight changes from the original version that appeared in Yankee Comics #1

135543.jpg.6bd1f9bdf9abe71b2cebf3e2fa0f653d.jpg

GreatComics3GA.jpg

I noticed that Palais also worked on that series. Could be one of his covers. Early splash pages by Rudy were pretty good.

8552565099_f905a50930_b.jpg

8553668130_6bf2a2d304_c.jpg

The sweat panel at the top proves that it is by Palais. He also has credit in the Who's Who.

Another splash by Rudy from Great.

8552564989_d90ed81cac_c.jpg

It doesn't prove that he did the cover but the style is similar and he is the only one that worked on Futuro.

Anybody know of a low-grade copy for sale? I used to have one with a missing centerfold (Hitler story was complete). I sold it some years ago, one of my biggest collecting regrets...