• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do underground comics still exist ?

22 posts in this topic

I mean, back in the 60's and 70's ....if you wanted to cuss, use drugs or show boobies (or more) your comics were classified as "underground".... I guess cuz of the comics code. Also the art was different, and usually was not super hero related.

Now days, there are so many "independent" publishers, I think undergrounds are, by that name anyways, a thing of the past. So much ground is covered by such a large group of publishers these days where all the above mentioned no-no's are depicted quite regularly..... and especially violence. I think Image and Dark Horse are the undergrounds of today. Anybody ?

My memory is terrible, and so will be my spelling, but that's mainstream carp compared to:

Fantagraphics in general

Hate

Ivan Brunetti

Dame Darcy

person_without_enough_empathyy person_without_enough_empathy :headbang:

Arsenic Lullaby

Charles Burns

Peep Show

Minimum Wage

Eightball

Anything by Harvey Pekar

If I wasn't so much under the influence of birthday, I'd bury you under pages of examples...,

I think Image and Dark Horse are the undergrounds of today.

No, I wouldn't say that. Self publishing still exists. Even home printing and snail mail distribution. Johnny Ryan was doing it up until just a few years ago. I was lucky enough to get back into comics in time to buy his last self published and self printed series mailed to me by him. Pretty neat, let me dig up a pic

Can't find my pic, but if you look up New Character Parade, Klassic Komix Klub, and Comic Book Holocaust in Google Image you'll see his home published versions with silkscreened covers.

Also, comic pros whose work used to be considered underground and are still doing the same work today, I'd say it's still underground no matter who is publishing it.

And publishers whose work was strictly underground at one time are still in business. Last Gasp and Kitchen Sink, I'd say they still put out underground work.

They barely exist as one traditionally thinks of them, with off-beat independents, self-published comics and trade and hardbound collections by the original underground creators keeping the spirit alive. but it's been many a year since there was a steady flow of comic and magazine format publications coming out that could generally be described as "underground".

I would agree that Image and DH, while publishing some interesting material, aren't putting out anything I'd call "underground". the last publisher that with any regularity produced undergrounds would be Fantagraphics, and they're more of a book publisher these days.

Oh, looks like #1 is going out of print this month by the way. Pretty awesome gore and obscenity comic, if you're interested I'd suggest buying #1 before it's gone. They're digest sized, on old school pulp paper, in full color. Forgot the page count but it's about what a typical comic has. Maybe a bit thinner. Also, like a Johnny Ryan comic this is intended to offend, so fair warning if that's not your thing.

I read a really great one just the other day...,... hm Spike Mulligan something or other,it was pretty damn good.

lol:foryou:

I think Image and Dark Horse are the undergrounds of today.

No, I wouldn't say that. Self publishing still exists. Even home printing and snail mail distribution. Johnny Ryan was doing it up until just a few years ago. I was lucky enough to get back into comics in time to buy his last self published and self printed series mailed to me by him. Pretty neat, let me dig up a pic

I remember Zap, the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros and all Robert Crumb stuff being examples of underground. I should have went to wikipedia earlier.... buy hey, this is my go to group for comics info :)

wiki underground comics article

Further to the Wiki, you'll find a good yardstick measurement (1963-1975) and read on the Undergrounds Era by Patrick Rosenkranz.

Pre-UG's, influences and early roots was covered by Justin Farrell (oldmilwaukee6er) in this oldy but goodie GPA newsletter.

thanks for the links cw