• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey DC thanks for damaging my Hawkman and H-E-R-O.

9 posts in this topic

I picked up a bunch of books with the CD in it. My first reaction to seeing the sealed bag was, "How am I going to read them?" Sadly, the answer is cut the bag open. Good thing I'm a collector and not a speculator.

That said, I did notice that the placement of the books in the bags was, let's say, less than gentle. My Hawkman had two small tears on the back cover and other issues had what looked like stress lines in the middle of the book, like someone ran a dry pen over the pages.

sign-rantpost.gif

I'm not happy about the sealed bags. Why not just ship a bazillion of the CDs to comic shops and let the stores give them out as freebies? Or maybe just give one to every person who buys DC comics. I don't need 10 or 12 of the stupid things.

This doesn't really help with the condition of the books but DC has listened to retailer complaints about paying additional freight costs due to increased weight from the polybags and the DVDs, and yesterday announced it will offer a $0.02 rebate per shipped copy of all the books shipped for initial orders only that came polybagged with the Sky Captain DVD promo.

"In the future, DC will offer a freight credit on all comics that include unbound promotional materials not connected to DC Comics' properties or that of Warner Bros. and other Time Warner affiliates."

Translation: If Paramount wants to do it again, retailers will get a freight credit, but if Warner Brothers wants to do it with Batman Begins, start saving pennies now for shipping.

Titles eligible for the shipping credit include:

In stores 8/11:

BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #182 (JUN040189)

NIGHTWING #96 (JUN040190)

In stores 8/18:

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #631 (JUN040315)

BATGIRL #55 (JUN040193)

BIRDS OF PREY #72 (JUN040200)

THE BOOKS OF MAGICK: LIFE DURING WARTIME #2 (JUN040945)

FALLEN ANGEL #14 (JUN040391)

HAWKMAN #31 (JUN040401)

H-E-R-O #19 (JUN040403)

LUCIFER #53 (JUN040950)

In stores 8/25:

THE LOSERS #15 (JUN040948)

What if some of the buyers, that aren't as picky about condition as some here, liked the CD? And what if, maybe, more DCs were sold because of the CD? Is it a bad idea then?

The only people that have a legitimate gripe about this is retailers and DC has already addressed the problem with them.

Jim

The only people that have a legitimate gripe about this is retailers and DC has already addressed the problem with them.

If the cd damages the book I paid for (and you can't see the damage cause the plastic bag seals the book), it would seem that I have a legitimate gripe, but that's probably just me. wink.gif

If the cd damages the book I paid for (and you can't see the damage cause the plastic bag seals the book), it would seem that I have a legitimate gripe, but that's probably just me. wink.gif

Are comics the only monthly periodical whose readers are that absorbed on the condition of the product even a few creases causes an outcry?

I can go to any magazine rack or book store and would be hard pressed to find a mag without a crease or a corner crunched and despite that, some sell very very well.

Get a minor crease on a comic and there's hell to pay. There's something not right there.....

Jim

There's something not right there.....

Yeah, it's the prices for new comics.

Nah, I will say this for the opposite side of the spectrum. I probably have the most appreciation for my old Archie digests and Marvels that I originally bought in the late 70s and early eighties. 893applaud-thumb.gif I'm sure I didn't care back then whether I had one crease in a new book or as in the case of both my Hawkman and H-E-R-O issues 2 inch rips in the paper. 893whatthe.gif

I try to keep a balance between the two. devil.gifangel.gif If I swing to far to the anal retentive side devil.gif893naughty-thumb.gif then I count on posters such as yourself to slap me back to the other side. makepoint.gifangel.gif

First and foremost I enjoy the story, thumbsup2.gif and then I try to keep the book in good condition so I can enjoy reading it again, again, and again. Shocking isn't it? shocked.gif I do reread my books. Maybe that makes the prices for new comics a little more reasonable. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Send the CDs back to DC. If 1/10th of the people that bought the books sealed with the CDs send them back it would be REALLY annoying to deal with.

Heck no,...I'm selling them on E-bay in sets of six as "Limited Collectors Edition Sky Captain Coasters"....