• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I did think that it was highly unlikely that a young kid in the 80's would be listening to 10cc - 10cc for God's sake!

Kevin Feige was born in 1973, James Gunn in 1970. This music is in the movie because it's the music of THEIR childhood, not because of Peter Quill's mom. Then someone said "How do we explain that he's only 34 but listens to 70s music? Let's say his mom gave it to him." Problem solved.

MINOR point I'm raising but anachronisms bug me. (X-Men First Class was full of them.) And if he spends the whole movie listening to Awesome Mix Vol. 1, then why is it so special that we find out his mom

gave him Awesome Mix 2 when she died? You mean she made him 2 mixes, or was he already a fan of 70s music? Why is Vol 2 so special if he already had volume 1

Mix tapes are a thing of the 80s, Quill is a child of the 80s, just make it 80s music.

:thumbsup: to another music fan

I agree - they could have removed all of that music from the movie for me

Replace it with The Smiths - New Order - Echo & the Bunnymen - The Fall & the Cocteau Twins :insane:

There's '70s music and then there's '70s music. Give me '70s artists like Big Star, the Ramones, Slade, Joy Division, Sweet, The Jam, Elvis Costello, Television, Roxy Music, T. Rex, Todd Rundgren, Shoes, The New York Dolls, Tom Robinson, The Clash, Pere Ubu, etc. any day.

Clearly the producer's choices were based on '70s retro pop/kitsch value and the built-in instant song recognition (except for maybe the Runaways and Bowie tunes) which is the cultural legacy of 30 years or more of "classic rock" radio. Critical and "music people" faves? Not so much...

Saw it last night. I really enjoyed it and I have no reference to the comic material. It was a bit hokey at times but that was part of the fun. Loved the end credit scene, but if you pay attention he actually appears in the main part of the movie for a second.

:ohnoez: If I miss it the first time, I'm staying for the second showing.

If you're going to see him, he'll be in the Collector's place. I missed him in the film, but will keep my eyes open when I go see it again next week.

I did think that it was highly unlikely that a young kid in the 80's would be listening to 10cc - 10cc for God's sake!

Kevin Feige was born in 1973, James Gunn in 1970. This music is in the movie because it's the music of THEIR childhood, not because of Peter Quill's mom. Then someone said "How do we explain that he's only 34 but listens to 70s music? Let's say his mom gave it to him." Problem solved.

MINOR point I'm raising but anachronisms bug me. (X-Men First Class was full of them.) And if he spends the whole movie listening to Awesome Mix Vol. 1, then why is it so special that we find out his mom

gave him Awesome Mix 2 when she died? You mean she made him 2 mixes, or was he already a fan of 70s music? Why is Vol 2 so special if he already had volume 1

Mix tapes are a thing of the 80s, Quill is a child of the 80s, just make it 80s music.

:thumbsup: to another music fan

I agree - they could have removed all of that music from the movie for me

Replace it with The Smiths - New Order - Echo & the Bunnymen - The Fall & the Cocteau Twins :insane:

There's '70s music and then there's '70s music. Give me '70s artists like Big Star, the Ramones, Slade, Joy Division, Sweet, The Jam, Elvis Costello, Television, Roxy Music, T. Rex, Todd Rundgren, Shoes, The New York Dolls, Tom Robinson, The Clash, Pere Ubu, etc. any day.

Clearly the producer's choices were based on '70s retro pop/kitsch value and the built-in instant song recognition (except for maybe the Runaways and Bowie tunes) which is the cultural legacy of 30 years or more of "classic rock" radio. Critical and "music people" faves? Not so much...

Superb - my thoughts exactly (thumbs u

Box office numbers are off to a strong start: early counts have Guardians coming in at $11.2 million for the early open on Thursday/midnight showings. :o

For a comparison, that's a higher total that DOFP or Cap 2 did earlier this summer, $3.5 million higher than ASM 2 did as well.

Unless the film is ridiculously heavily front-loaded -- which won't be the case, IMO, based on the huge marketing Disney's put into it, as well as the outstanding reviews and WOM it's already getting -- an $80 million opening weekend almost looks assured. Maybe more. :o This might be the summer blockbuster that everyone was waiting for, and it looks like another huge win for Marvel at the box office. :banana:

I think it's going to be big, even with people off on vacation...I tried to get tickets for a 7:30 and then a 4:30 show at one local theatre...the 7:30 was sold out and the other (which had a weird 'seat selection' process) I couldn't find three seats together!

I predict 90+ mil for the weekend. Probably optimistic, but hey.

Dan

Box office numbers are off to a strong start: early counts have Guardians coming in at $11.2 million for the early open on Thursday/midnight showings. :o

For a comparison, that's a higher total that DOFP or Cap 2 did earlier this summer, $3.5 million higher than ASM 2 did as well.

Unless the film is ridiculously heavily front-loaded -- which won't be the case, IMO, based on the huge marketing Disney's put into it, as well as the outstanding reviews and WOM it's already getting -- an $80 million opening weekend almost looks assured. Maybe more. :o This might be the summer blockbuster that everyone was waiting for, and it looks like another huge win for Marvel at the box office. :banana:

With all these people that pre-ordered tickets (the biggest ever in history for an August movie) coming back for a second round of tickets, box office numbers on this should be huge.

:wishluck:

Box Office Mojo's forecast for this weekend based on Thursday's results.

'Guardians' To Take Off With August Record

Forecast (Aug. 1-3)

1. Guardians of the Galaxy - $82 million

2. Lucy - $18.9 million (-57%)

3. Get on Up - $15.5 million

4. Hercules - $14 million (-53%)

5. Dawn/Apes - $9.6 million (-43%)

My wife sent me this article:

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/chris-pratt-fatherhood-jack-premature-165859658.html

Was this discussed? Incredible story. Anyone that has had a kid in the NICU knows how powerful and life affirming the experience can be. Chris Pratt is a pretty awesome guy and now I want to support the film for that reason alone.

From the article:

"I stole the jacket and some of the wardrobe so that, if this movie comes out and does what everyone hopes it can, I can follow the example of someone — say, like, a Russell Wilson, you know — and go visit kids," he told Panzer TV. (Russell Wilson is the Seattle Seahawks quarterback who is known for visiting children's hospitals every week. Johnny Depp and Andrew Garfield are among other celebrities known for visiting sick children in character.)

I went to a first showing last night in Chicago and the Marvel Geeks were out in full force wearing T shirts etc Lines for both the 7 pm and 830 showing. Packed houses ready to go in after I left. A lot of female fans, Good, fun film Marvel knows how to keep them coming

Box Office Mojo's forecast for this weekend based on Thursday's results.

'Guardians' To Take Off With August Record

Forecast (Aug. 1-3)

1. Guardians of the Galaxy - $82 million

2. Lucy - $18.9 million (-57%)

3. Get on Up - $15.5 million

4. Hercules - $14 million (-53%)

5. Dawn/Apes - $9.6 million (-43%)

Holy cow. Just checked Rotten Tomatoes and it's showing 92%/96%. :o

GotG may slide into 'phenomenon' territory if that holds with ticket sales to match.

I think it will look better on film hm

Most of the pics I've seen seem distorted in a cropped/squished sort of way hm

I really can't see any of Brolin's facial features there though... :(

I think it will look better on film hm

Most of the pics I've seen seem distorted in a cropped/squished sort of way hm

I really can't see any of Brolin's facial features there though... :(

I saw the film last night. :baiting: This is what he looks like, no distortion in the photo.

I don't think it is horrible. And the CGI looks better than I expected.

His head seemed a bit too small for me, the proportions seemed a little off. Not horrible, but just not quite right.

That I do agree with. One moment when I look, I'm excited to see him live. But then I look closer and I am wondering what is going on with that head.

lol

0.jpg

Dang space witch doctors.

There are different angles in the scene (like from above) where you can clearly see Brolin in the design. I've been saying it for days, there is no question is is a quick render and not intended for final design. I would not be shocked if on DVD its changed. I will repeat what I said yesterday, this scene DID NOT exist in the film 2 months ago. So it was shot and rendered in less than 2 months (including the time to finalize the film and ship it out)