• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Domestic total through Thursday = $134,390,839

Predictions for this weekend have it anywhere from $41 to $46 million, depending on the Turtles.

It should pass $200 million before next weekend. :)

Peace,

Chip

crushed by the Turtles, still has a shot at passing Cap for highest domestic BO this year tho.

Predictions for this weekend have it anywhere from $41 to $46 million, depending on the Turtles.

Peace,

Chip

crushed by the Turtles, still has a shot at passing Cap for highest domestic BO this year tho.

If it is crushed by the Turtles, I'm going to be interested to see next weekend. I can't imagine the Turtles does well in the second week because I've heard horrible things...

Peace,

Chip

If it is crushed by the Turtles, I'm going to be interested to see next weekend. I can't imagine the Turtles does well in the second week because I've heard horrible things...

no, 'if' - Turtles close to $60mm this weekend, GOTG low $40's.

Peace,

Chip

no, 'if' - Turtles close to $60mm this weekend, GOTG low $40's.

I think a lot of people underestimated how popular TMNT really is.

The Nickelodeon TMNT animated series does huge ratings. I am betting a lot of those fans wanted to see TMNT the movie.

I think a lot of people underestimated how popular TMNT really is.

The Nickelodeon TMNT animated series does huge ratings. I am betting a lot of those fans wanted to see TMNT the movie.

When Nickelodeon bought the global rights to TMNT, they did it knowing this was going to be a long-term wise financial move.

2009: Nickelodeon Acquires Global Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Rights

They know between the TV shows and movies they will make their money back, and then some.

Weekend Predictions: Can any of the New Releases Overtake Guardians?

-----------------------

Guardians of the Galaxy opened last weekend with $94.32 million. Given its reviews and the lack of A-list competition, one would think it would have a good hold this weekend. However, it is a Fanboy film and these films tend to drop-off a cliff the second weekend. The average decline is more than 60% for these films this summer. Fortunately the lack of stiff competition and the stellar reviews should prevent that from happening. It will be close and on the low end Guardians of the Galaxy will add $39 million over the weekend. This would still put it ahead of The Incredible Hulk on the list of The Avengers films. On the high end, it could earn $43 million, which would put it within striking distance of Captain America: The First Avenger's total after just ten days of release.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the latest in a very long line of TMNT movies and cartoons all based on the original comics from the 1980s. There has been a lot of bad buzz surrounding this film for a very long time. Unfortunately, it turns out the naysayers have been right, as the critics have been equally brutal. Having a Tomatometer score of under 20% positive is terrible, regardless of the situation. Additionally, with direct competition that is earning much better word-of-mouth, it might struggle just to get to $30 million. I think it will get there, but $35 million is probably the highest it will go. I'm predicting $34 million.

-----------------------

This was posted on Thursday. Yet the movie is already doing okay at the box office. And since these are all the folks that originally predicted Guardians would do $60-$65 MM, it will be interesting to see how on-point or off the mark they are. The updated prediction from Box Office Mojo is:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy - $43.4 million (-54%)

2. Ninja Turtles - $42 million

3. Into the Storm - $14 million

4. Step Up All In - $10.1 million

5. Lucy - $10 million (-45%)

6. Hundred-Foot Journey - $9.5 million

:popcorn:

Weekend Predictions: Can any of the New Releases Overtake Guardians?

-----------------------

Guardians of the Galaxy opened last weekend with $94.32 million. Given its reviews and the lack of A-list competition, one would think it would have a good hold this weekend. However, it is a Fanboy film and these films tend to drop-off a cliff the second weekend. The average decline is more than 60% for these films this summer. Fortunately the lack of stiff competition and the stellar reviews should prevent that from happening. It will be close and on the low end Guardians of the Galaxy will add $39 million over the weekend. This would still put it ahead of The Incredible Hulk on the list of The Avengers films. On the high end, it could earn $43 million, which would put it within striking distance of Captain America: The First Avenger's total after just ten days of release.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the latest in a very long line of TMNT movies and cartoons all based on the original comics from the 1980s. There has been a lot of bad buzz surrounding this film for a very long time. Unfortunately, it turns out the naysayers have been right, as the critics have been equally brutal. Having a Tomatometer score of under 20% positive is terrible, regardless of the situation. Additionally, with direct competition that is earning much better word-of-mouth, it might struggle just to get to $30 million. I think it will get there, but $35 million is probably the highest it will go. I'm predicting $34 million.

-----------------------

This was posted on Thursday. Yet the movie is already doing okay at the box office. And since these are all the folks that originally predicted Guardians would do $60-$65 MM, it will be interesting to see how on-point or off the mark they are. The updated prediction from Box Office Mojo is:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy - $43.4 million (-54%)

2. Ninja Turtles - $42 million

3. Into the Storm - $14 million

4. Step Up All In - $10.1 million

5. Lucy - $10 million (-45%)

6. Hundred-Foot Journey - $9.5 million

:popcorn:

he needs to polish his crystal ball. they are now saying $65mm.

he needs to polish his crystal ball. they are now saying $65mm.

Totally agree!

It's like this box office analytics sites can't figure out how to forecast some of these latest comic book productions. And that's okay. We're unique!

:whee:

SATURDAY UPDATE: Box Office Shell-Shock: ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ With $65M Grabs Gauntlet Away From ‘Guardians’

-----------------------

Meanwhile, Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy — as reported last night — will bring in around $42M+ over its three-day dropping about 55% in its second weekend out but it’s still finding its audience. Of the new offerings, Warner Bros. Into the Storm will swim in with an estimated $17.8M to $18.1M, so it did a little better than its original tracking numbers. It took the No. 3 spot.

-----------------------

Guess the voicework was with the hope of the bigger role Vin Diesel hinted at.

VIN DIESEL drops HINT on his FUTURE ROLE in the MCU

---------------------------

In a Facebook post from GROOT himself, Vin Diesel hinted that his future role in Marvel may indeed be INHUMAN. It is no question that many rumors suggests that he is the one playing Black Bolt in a future Inhuman movie/franchise in addition to those "merging of the brands" statement from him during interviews.

"Vin and Marvel, you all made it happen! I get a strange feeling that Marvel thinks I'm Inhuman! haha!"

---------------------------

:o

Turtles are going to shave it down awfully quick. No matter the good reviews (see Cap and X-Men) these movies do not have the widespread appeal that Turtles will have (see Transformers)

Bad timing for what clearly looks to be a great movie.

^^

No one should be surprised about a long running kids franchise, getting 65m on opening weekend.

Hell, that POS Transformers movie made a billion dollars, people will go see anything. (especially with neat esplosions)

True, true...

more entertaining than the Avengers. the fact that these characters have no ponderous history allowed Gunn free reign to make a very good movie. i, for one, cannot remember reading a single issue of GOTG. my concern for the Star-Lord character based on the initial trailer was misguided. his back story drove the narrative. with Gunn at the helm, i have much more interest in seeing the sequel than the next Avengers movie.

You know things are going well when Kevin Bacon sees your film, and likes it.

What Did Kevin Bacon Think?

Kevin and his brother (and band) were in Greeneville on Aug 8th playing a concert at the NPAC center here.

Should of went and tried to ask him about this tweet hm

Then had him sign my Tremors poster :headbang: