• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Saturday night's updated forecast.

THIRD UPDATE: 'Turtles' Power to Huge $62M Debut; 'Guardians' Holds Its Own at $40M; 'Into the Storm' Eyes $17.5M; 'Hundred-Foot Journey' Healthy at $11M; 'Step Up All In' Sets Franchise Low with $6.75M

---------------------

Paramount reports that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grabbed an estimated $25.6 million on Friday, including Thursday's $4.6 million preview grosses. Topping G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra's $22.2 million opening day, this is an impressive start for the franchise's live action reboot--particularly when considering the tough competition from Guardians of the Galaxy. Based on Friday's performance and the likelihood of Turtles playing fairly well during Saturday matinees, BoxOffice projects a $62 million opening weekend.

---------------------

Boxoffice.com updated its weekend projections for this movie.

SUNDAY UPDATED STUDIO ESTIMATES: 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Breaks Out with $65.0M; 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Holds up Well with $41.5M; 'Into the Storm' Takes Third with $18.0M

------------------------

Disney's Guardians of the Galaxy placed in a strong second with an estimated $41.53 million. The blockbuster sci-fi superhero adaptation was down 56 percent from last weekend's break-out debut. That represented a very solid second weekend hold for a film of this size, especially given the stronger than expected launch of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Guardians of the Galaxy has grossed an exceptional $175.82 million through ten days of release. That places the film an impressive 11 percent ahead of the $158.88 million ten-day take of Captain America: The Winter Soldier earlier this year (which fell 57 percent to gross $41.27 million during its second weekend of release). With its current percentage lead over Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the aid of strong word of mouth, Guardians of the Galaxy has a very strong chance at this point of eventually out-grossing The Winter Soldier to become the highest grossing release of 2014 thus far domestically.

------------------------

:applause:

:whee:

August 8, 2014: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

August 15, 2014: The Expendables 3

August 22, 2014: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

September 26, 2014: The Boxtrolls

October 19, 2014: The Judge (Robert Downey JR movie)

October 17, 2014: Dracula Untold

October 17, 2014: Kingsman: The Secret Service movied to 2015

November 7, 2014: Big Hero 6

November 15, 2014: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

December 12, 2014: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Guardians made it through the first challenger and held up very strong (not the 65%-67% dropoff that was expected).

Now on to the next challengers.

:popcorn:

Saw it today. Loved it. Drax was my favorite, good deadpan humor lines. My wife, of course, loved Groot.

We both enjoyed the integration of the Earth music into the film. Particularly because the overall feel is so galactic this element brought it closer to home.

My only critique is there was just a tad too much humor.

Nice adaptation of the 2008 team. I am looking forward to the future of this franchise.

more entertaining than the Avengers. the fact that these characters have no ponderous history allowed Gunn free reign to make a very good movie. i, for one, cannot remember reading a single issue of GOTG. my concern for the Star-Lord character based on the initial trailer was misguided. his back story drove the narrative. with Gunn at the helm, i have much more interest in seeing the sequel than the next Avengers movie.

I own the 2008 GOTG Series and don't remember it being anywhere near as fun as the movie. Just watched movie in IMAX for the 3rd time yesterday. Finally paid attention enough to see Howard the Duck in glass cage. Can't wait for sequel and extended version on blueray.

We watched it this weekend and my brother and kids loved it. I though Pratt was excellent and Rocket was hilarious. The rest of the team was meh for me, Drax was funnier than expected.

I don't think that's Warlock in the red cape (collectors scene) and the soundtrack was great, especially the opening scene with Star-lord on the planet.

8 out of 10 for me

We watched it this weekend and my brother and kids loved it. I though Pratt was excellent and Rocket was hilarious. The rest of the team was meh for me, Drax was funnier than expected.

I don't think that's Warlock in the red cape (collectors scene) and the soundtrack was great, especially the opening scene with Star-lord on the planet.

8 out of 10 for me

Warlock in the red cape? Where is that supposed to be?

Saw it again today with my girlfriend.

Still don't see how anyone says they saw Beta Ray Bill or Warlock in that one tank. That was a guy wearing a red jumpsuit. You can clearly see him wearing red pants that match his shirt (that people are saying is a cape).

I only went by the pictures posted since I have not seen this movie yet. But I can see what you are talking about with the red jumpsuit look.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY – Is this Beta Ray Bill?

beta-ray-bill.jpg

Dark Elf

vlcsnap-2014-08-04-22h08m11s9_thumb.png

Cosmo

vlcsnap-2014-08-04-22h11m54s203_thumb.png

Adam Warlock's cocoon

vlcsnap-2014-08-04-22h12m47s187_thumb1.png

:bump:

Guardians is coming up as second place, but with a strong second weekend result of $41.5 MM.

BOXOFFICEMOJO: 'Turtles' Power!

-----------------------

In second place, Guardians of the Galaxy fell 56 percent to $41.5 million, which is the biggest second weekend of the Summer. That drop is essentially on par with Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Thor: The Dark World. To date, Guardians has earned $175.9 million—the best 10-day total of the year—and remains on track to be the top movie of the Summer with over $260 million.

-----------------------

:applause:

cagcTIc.png

gpOq7gB.png

cyb84ol.png

I finally saw GOTG and the word EPIC comes to mind. It's easy to say the most recent film you've seen is the best one but this definitely would rank somewhere among the top 3 Marvel films for me with IM 1 and Cap 2 being the other two. I've enjoyed everything Josh Brolin has done but I was still skeptical when he was cast as Thanos but after seeing him in action (albeit limited) I'm completely sold. The smirk, demeanor and confidence is all right from the pages, I can't wait to see where this character goes. Rocket was probably the heart of this film and I went from never having heard of him prior to this film to him becoming one of my favorite characters. The biggest surprise for me had to be Bautista and the best part about the film was the writing, hands down. I don't think this film comes together the way it did if James Gunn wasn't involved. I do have a question though for those who are familiar with the GOTG lore:

1. I was under the impression that Drax was created for the sole purpose of killing Thanos. If this is true then how come he was so easily manhandled by Ronan? If Drax is no match for Ronan how could he possibly have any chance against Thanos? I'm not saying that he should be able to slap these guys around but I was expecting him to be somewhat of an equal or at least a match for Ronan.

P.S. I can't post a comment about this film without mentioning Michael Rooker who was a complete badass in this film, lol, I hope him and sharp whistle-stick are back for the sequel.

Saw it today with the fiancee. We both really enjoyed it can't say anything really bad about it at all. I was really surprised when my fiancee turned to me and said "hey isn't that the collector from the other movie" and she was so proud she remembered that before the audience was made aware thats who it was. She's not into comics at all but really enjoys all the movies! Nice to see a little bit more of Thanos as well.

8 out of 10 for me

Saw it again today with my girlfriend.

Still don't see how anyone says they saw Beta Ray Bill or Warlock in that one tank. That was a guy wearing a red jumpsuit. You can clearly see him wearing red pants that match his shirt (that people are saying is a cape).

I only went by the pictures posted since I have not seen this movie yet. But I can see what you are talking about with the red jumpsuit look.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY – Is this Beta Ray Bill?

beta-ray-bill.jpg

Dark Elf

vlcsnap-2014-08-04-22h08m11s9_thumb.png

Cosmo

vlcsnap-2014-08-04-22h11m54s203_thumb.png

Adam Warlock's cocoon

vlcsnap-2014-08-04-22h12m47s187_thumb1.png

I saw the movie a second time this weekend, and paid particular attention to this character. To me, it definitely looked like an orange humanoid in a red jumpsuit/red shirt and pants. Kind like the pic below of Beta Ray Bill. hm

thor-mighty-simonson-1-form.jpg

more entertaining than the Avengers. the fact that these characters have no ponderous history allowed Gunn free reign to make a very good movie. i, for one, cannot remember reading a single issue of GOTG. my concern for the Star-Lord character based on the initial trailer was misguided. his back story drove the narrative. with Gunn at the helm, i have much more interest in seeing the sequel than the next Avengers movie.

I own the 2008 GOTG Series and don't remember it being anywhere near as fun as the movie. Just watched movie in IMAX for the 3rd time yesterday. Finally paid attention enough to see Howard the Duck in glass cage. Can't wait for sequel and extended version on blueray.

I'm re-reading it this week, and I wouldn't say it's as fun - but it's clearly the inspiration. The building of the team, the comradarie, etc - the vibe of that series is very much the tone of the film (the series has more characters in it, however).

I'm re-reading it this week, and I wouldn't say it's as fun - but it's clearly the inspiration. The building of the team, the comradarie, etc - the vibe of that series is very much the tone of the film (the series has more characters in it, however).

Was reading the later issues again over the weekend, 5th or 6th time, I just love the Adam Warlock / Magus storyline. They would need an entire movie of its own to tell the Warlock story properly, I wish!

Was reading the later issues again over the weekend, 5th or 6th time, I just love the Adam Warlock / Magus storyline. They would need an entire movie of its own to tell the Warlock story properly, I wish!

Yeah, me, too - I'm real happy that they did such a great job with Warlock in that title. The whole Universal Church of Truth/Magus stuff is great material in the hands of the right writers.

Yeah, me, too - I'm real happy that they did such a great job with Warlock in that title. The whole Universal Church of Truth/Magus stuff is great material in the hands of the right writers.

+1