• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Wow that is great!

So the title is worth picking up? Could I jump in right now and figure it out?

didn't this series end 4 years ago?

There is a Marvel NOW series currently on issue 17 I believe.

written by Bendis, :sick:. thanks, thought they were referring to the Abnett/Lanning series.

Wow that is great!

So the title is worth picking up? Could I jump in right now and figure it out?

didn't this series end 4 years ago?

There is a Marvel NOW series currently on issue 17 I believe.

written by Bendis, :sick:. thanks, thought they were referring to the Abnett/Lanning series.

I think they were and I got confused…

The Bendis series isn't good?

I looked in to picking up the 2008 series but from my understanding the trade is out of print and the singles have gotten really expensive.

Now that is quite impressive.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Is The Highest Rated 2014 Movie on IMDB

---------------------

On the IMDB Top 250, Guardians of the Galaxy is currently the highest rated 2014 by IMDB users. In fact, Guardians of the Galaxy is not only the highest rated 2014 movie on IMDB, it’s the only 2014 movie rated in the top 100 films on IMDB.

Guardians of the Galaxy is ranked 37th out of all movies on IMDB, and the film has a 8.5 rating. The next highest 2014 movie is X-Men: Days of Future Past, which has a 8.3 rating and is ranked 111th.

---------------------

:applause:

This is where it`s at if anybody wants to know more about the movie version of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

---------------------

On the IMDB Top 250, Guardians of the Galaxy is currently the highest rated 2014 by IMDB users. In fact, Guardians of the Galaxy is not only the highest rated 2014 movie on IMDB, it’s the only 2014 movie rated in the top 100 films on IMDB.

Guardians of the Galaxy is ranked 37th out of all movies on IMDB, and the film has a 8.5 rating. The next highest 2014 movie is X-Men: Days of Future Past, which has a 8.3 rating and is ranked 111th.

---------------------

It connected to a wide audience because it was fun. It had humor and an exciting adventure. Guardians of the Galaxy is how it`s done.

Hopefully, this movie influences the comic book industry like Alan Moore and Frank Miller did 30 years ago, and we can move away from deconstructing and dark n' gritty heroes stories that seem to have overrun the mainstream comic books. Time for the mainstream comic books to be fun and exciting again like their comic book movie counterparts. I think Guardians of the Galaxy will get this message across to the comic book editors on to what an audience is looking for when they go to buy a comic book. Great story, and not gimmick variant cover.

It connected to a wide audience because it was fun. It had humor and an exciting adventure. Guardians of the Galaxy is how it`s done.

Hopefully, this movie influences the comic book industry like Alan Moore and Frank Miller did 30 years ago, and we can move away from deconstructing and dark n' gritty heroes stories that seem to have overrun the mainstream comic books. Time for the mainstream comic books to be fun and exciting again like their comic book movie counterparts. I think Guardians of the Galaxy will get this message across to the comic book editors on to what an audience is looking for when they go to buy a comic book. Great story, and not gimmick variant cover.

Absolutely agree. Lee/Kirby/Ditko pulled off what they did in the early 60s because they appealed to juvenile readers and young adults. Somewhere in the shuffle of the last 25 years, kid/teen readers of comics have largely been erased from the reading audience. As I posted earlier, I saw GOTG 4 times. At each viewing, adults and kids were laughing and applauding. (Same thing with Avengers.) This is how comic book movies should be done. The Christopher Nolan "why so serious" Batman (and now Superman) is cool, but DC/Warner Bros need to keep in mind that they want to appeal to as many viewers as possible -- not just the comic con crowd.

---------------------

---------------------

We need some perspective here though. If GOTG finished at $250 million domestically, it would have been placed 9th last year. If it finishes at $260 million (this is the current projects I've read on Box Office Mojo) it would have placed 8th. $270 million would have gotten it a 7th place finish. Respectable, but not enough to cause publishers to change course. Unless the movie ends up doing $1 billion internationally which doesn't look like it will be the case.

Yes, this was a terrific introduction to the franchise, but it hasn't exactly caught the world on fire like many here seem to be implying. Also, you have to consider that the Marvel brand is selling tickets. So, this movie can't be considered an unknown like say a movie like Gravity. It is easier to convince people to go see a movie that is related to Iron Man and Avengers.

I'm not sure what went wrong domestically at the box office this year, but I suspect the diminished return for many of the franchise movies might be something studios need to consider going forward. Foreign grosses need to keep rising (ala Transformers 4 over $1 billion.) Maleficent has surprised me. It is sitting on $736 million international, just $5 million behind X-Men: Days of the Future Past which was another surprise internationally. Transformers 4 is so far ahead of the pack right now, it isn't even funny. Last year, we had multiple movies that passed $1 billion and several that were very close. This year so far, not so much.

Many of this summers movies have come up way short on the Box Office Mojo predictions. Only time will tell what that means to how it impacts the studios plans.

Just got back from the 3:30 pm Tuesday matinee of the GOTG... my second viewing :D

This time... I went 2D and I think I enjoyed it more.

We are about two and a half weeks in on this film and the theater was full of parents and kids... and the kids loved it.

This film has some staying power... not sure how long... but its got some.

xxx ooo

Rupp

2nd time viewer here. I liked the 3D IMAX experience better. Maybe my ears are going, but the sound was very low on the 2D (Krikorian) showing, outside of the mix tape songs.

Speculation should be ok now. I am still wondering about that race that held on to the gems and couldn't handle it. I thought it was Watchers, but now, I'm thinking, just no-one in the universe (a filler species?).

Saw it again tonight - just as great the second time round.

Took the wife this time and she asks me as we are waiting to go in "Is it like Alvin and the Chipmunks in space?" - all based on the trailers she saw. lol

Yea I'm curious to see Turtle week 2 numbers vs GOTG week 3 numbers. I wouldn't be surprised to see GOTG back on top.

I might go see it again just to help it out a little.

expendables 3 would have to fall on its face and TMNT would have to fall off a cliff for that to happen; possible but unlikely.

Speculation should be ok now. I am still wondering about that race that held on to the gems and couldn't handle it. I thought it was Watchers, but now, I'm thinking, just no-one in the universe (a filler species?).

My reaction was that the group of dudes in a circle holding the Infinity gems was the race of the Watcher, but it was too short to say one way or the other.

Took my three sons to see it today in glorious 2D.

Overall I liked the movie, it was fun. The character I thought was the most interesting was Gamora. I liked all the unexpected, little oddball touches that kept the movie from taking itself too seriously. There were some great lines, especially the one about Star Lord's "pelvic sorcery..."

The soundtrack was a juicy bone for a Gen X parent like myself, although it may have worn out its welcome by the end.

Also, as a parent, I was bummed out about the cursing, although the violence was not as extreme as X-Men Days of Future Past, and I was thankful for that.

Ronan was a bit dull, he reminded me a lot of the evil space elf in Thor 2, just another guy destroying the world, yadda yadda. Thanos was strangely flat for me, although I got out of reading Marvel comics for awhile around when he got super popular in the 80s and never really followed the character, so I wasn't really sure what to expect.

The opening kind of freaked my kids out (with the mom in the hospital), but overall they enjoyed the movie, especially my oldest. The other two struggled a bit to keep up, but were reduced to giggles by the Dancing Groot at the end.

I asked them who their favorite characters were and Groot won by a mile. Then Star Lord, Gamora, Drax and bringing up the rear Rocket. I think perhaps he was almost too abrasive and edgy for kids to identify with, but that's just me.

The Howard cameo at the end was a neat, little one-off, and I pity the poor fool who paid over $500 for a VF copy of Fear 19 last week.

Saw it for the second time yesterday.

You can clearly see Howard in the containers the first time we go into the Collector's place. He turns his head to the screen. So does the guy who may be Warlock but you can't see his face enough.

I didn't think that race were the Watcher's, are they not tied in with the FF movie rights?

It's a superb film. Marvel have had an amazing year with this and TWS

Saw it for the second time yesterday.

You can clearly see Howard in the containers the first time we go into the Collector's place. He turns his head to the screen. So does the guy who may be Warlock but you can't see his face enough.

I didn't think that race were the Watcher's, are they not tied in with the FF movie rights?

It's a superb film. Marvel have had an amazing year with this and TWS

+1