• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Dammit. :ohnoez: Now I'm trying to fill the earthman-among-aliens movie sub-genre. But I can count 'em all on one hand...

1. GOTG

2. The Fifth Element

3. John Carter

4. Heavy Metal (1st one, but only parts)

I'll give 'Planet Hulk' an honorable mention, him being an earthman. But he never reverts to Banner, so yeah, not the same.

A century of cinema, there's got to be more, right? (shrug) Then again, CG has only gotten good enough recently to do them any justice. So maybe "That's All, Folks"? :(

Little bit of a stretch but Planet of the Apes is almost there

The Last Starfighter

Enemy Mine

Explorers

'The Last Starfighter' has been mentioned twice. Good one. (thumbs u So is Enemy Mine. :)

'Apes' I'll have to think about. Great movie, but there were others with him and it's all "on earth". Battle Beyond the Stars I'll have to imdb.

Keep 'em coming. :wishluck:

I know I'm late to the game but I just watched the movie. I thought it was fantastic and Chris Pratt played the role that Ryan Reynolds tried and failed at in Green Lantern. It hit all the right marks and I already want to see it again.

I haven't enjoyed a Marvel movie as much since the first Iron Man.

I like both of those

It's with shame in voice i say i have yet to see this movie :(

My dilemma is this: The 2D version only shows on the smaller screens, and by small i mean really small..

I'm not really sold on 3D and especially not when the movie is not shot in 3D (which seems to be the case with this one) and i own a 3D tv...

So, do i go see this on a tiny ( 100 person theater) before it's too late or do i see it in 3D with the annoyance of having to wear an extra peir of glasses and the extra added darkness/loss of detail..OR do i wait for the BD and go all apocalypse now when it releases and take the 27 noise complaints i'll get from the neighbors ?

'The Last Starfighter' has been mentioned twice. Good one. (thumbs u So is Enemy Mine. :)

'Apes' I'll have to think about. Great movie, but there were others with him and it's all "on earth". Battle Beyond the Stars I'll have to imdb.

Keep 'em coming. :wishluck:

First Men In The Moon.

I like both of those

It's with shame in voice i say i have yet to see this movie :(

My dilemma is this: The 2D version only shows on the smaller screens, and by small i mean really small..

I'm not really sold on 3D and especially not when the movie is not shot in 3D (which seems to be the case with this one) and i own a 3D tv...

So, do i go see this on a tiny ( 100 person theater) before it's too late or do i see it in 3D with the annoyance of having to wear an extra peir of glasses and the extra added darkness/loss of detail..OR do i wait for the BD and go all apocalypse now when it releases and take the 27 noise complaints i'll get from the neighbors ?

I went to see this for the second time Tuesday night. Even better the second time, you get to enjoy the small stuff more.

First time was IMAX, second time was AVX.

One of the very few movies I am glad to have seen the 3D, especially the second time. The space sequences are fantastic.

:applause: Make mine Marvel.

Cheers,

Cole

Well, now it's official.

Guardians of the Galaxy Is The Best Marvel Movie Ever Says Robert Downey Jr.

rdj-iron-man.jpeg

Need he say more?

He had to be positive with it to get his new future movie job.

That's a good explanation, though. Without the success of IM, Cap, Thor, etc - Marvel might not have been able to do as well with Guardians rolling out to an audience who wasn't pre-qualified to the product.

SciFi is a tough sell on it's own. Really great original-type SciFi movies (that aren't relying on sequel or franchise buildup) sometimes don't get justice in the theaters. I'm glad that GotG has done so well, and I hope it inspires other SciFi films to take a chance because audiences might be receptive.

Is it the highest grossing yet of the year?

yes

The better answer would be 'it depends'. If we are talking about:

1) Highest 2014 domestic box office comic book movie: Yes.

2) Highest 2014 worldwide box office comic book movie: Not yet.

3) Highest 2014 worldwide movie: Not yet.

Actually, the biggest Revenue Ratio winner this year wasn't Transformers 4, X-Men: DoFP, or even Cap 2. And even GotG may have a difficult time hitting this number.

1GeENjZ.png

LaLbbIS.png

The Lego Movie

So far, due to the low production cost and strong box office response, this movie has had the highest Revenue Ratio yet out of all the movies so far.