• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

The Collector was a let down - in Thor 2 he was depicted as a powerful guy then in GOTG just a goofy loser mocked by Howard the Duck....

The Collector was a let down - in Thor 2 he was depicted as a powerful guy then in GOTG just a goofy loser mocked by Howard the Duck....

:D

My impression was the opposite. After the Thor 2 preview of the Collector, I was extremely worried about how the character was going to be depicted. I thought they did a good job with the character in GOTG.

I agree and had the same thoughts. He was a relatively big cosmic guy in the comics as I remember. It's okay if they're going that direction, or he's playing a dupe and will make a play for the gems once he was allowed to collect all the gems for Thanos...

Apparently all bad guys do all day is sit in a big chair gloating about how EVIL they are...

Although he's my all-time favourite super-villain, I didn't like Thanos' scene in the GOTG film at all. Certainly they got the arrogant posture and detachment of a egomaniac or psychopath spot on, and also how he was sizing up the usefulness of Ronan, but this meant that I found the Mad Titan to be quite disturbing. The reason is that in real life I tend to distance myself as much as possible from individuals with this type of demeanour. It's easy for me to avoid disconnecting if I'm looking at panels in a comic book, not so much in a live-action / CGI film.

Apparently all bad guys do all day is sit in a big chair gloating about how EVIL they are...

Although he's my all-time favourite super-villain, I didn't like Thanos' scene in the GOTG film at all. Certainly they got the arrogant posture and detachment of a egomaniac or psychopath spot on, and also how he was sizing up the usefulness of Ronan, but this meant that I found the Mad Titan to be quite disturbing. The reason is that in real life I tend to distance myself as much as possible from individuals with this type of demeanour. It's easy for me to avoid disconnecting if I'm looking at panels in a comic book, not so much in a live-action / CGI film.

And this is the fatal mistake of 99% of Hollywood bad guys-they are EXACTLY the same. Two dimensional, motivated by simply the urge to do EVIL. That just doesn't cut it. Hannibal Lecter wasn't motivated to 'do evil' he was much more complex than that. Hollywood really gives the short shrift to villains. The heroes are often complex but not the villain-they're just something to fight against. So much more can be done with a villain. Give them a PERSONALITY. The best villains are ones the audience finds themselves liking-like Lecter. Give them some admirable quality, like intelligence. And no, Lex Luthor has never been depicted as particularly smart. His main trick is pulling kryptonite out of his pocket, banking on Superman's stupidity.

Loki in the Thor movies and the Avengers is a great villain. Certainly complex.

It will be interesting to see what happens now that he's taken over Asgard disguised as Odin.

Loki was/is great. He's my favorite thing about the Marvel movies.

Mr. Glass was a pretty cool bad guy in Unbreakable.

Loki in the Thor movies and the Avengers is a great villain. Certainly complex.

It will be interesting to see what happens now that he's taken over Asgard disguised as Odin.

Loki was/is great. He's my favorite thing about the Marvel movies.

Mr. Glass was a pretty cool bad guy in Unbreakable.

Yep those are 2 examples of well done villains

Thanos-not so much

Goblin was good too

Joker is the worst-his sole motivation is HE'S 'CRAZY'

I've seen crazy people

They cant plan much