• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I just can't get over it. My synop exactly describes the avengers movie too. But that movie was great and Guardians for me was just blah.

I've got a great idea for a movie-bunch of heroes are forced together to prevent the bad guy from getting the thing that will destroy the Universe. At first they bicker and fight, then they pull together. At the end only by working together and holding hands do they defeat the bad guy. One guy can be the joking guy, then there's the super serious chick and the comedy relief mascot guy. Also there's a big guy who's really strong and doesn't say much. There can be a scene where one of the heroes seems to be dead but they get revived.

THERE'S NEVER BEEN A MOVIE LIKE THIS!!!!!

Pretty much sounds like the recipe for Star Wars also.

I'm not a writer but I heard that when you break it down, there's really only a handful of stories to tell (Star Wars being the Hero's Journey IIRC). It doesn't come down to the originality of the story itself- rather the originality of how it is presented.

It might be time to stop crying about this movie Kav.

Anyone who takes a course in screenwriting will eventually find there are even terms for these plot devices...MacGuffin for instance, is the 'thing that will destroy the Universe.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

I've got a great idea for a movie-bunch of heroes are forced together to prevent the bad guy from getting the thing that will destroy the Universe. At first they bicker and fight, then they pull together. At the end only by working together and holding hands do they defeat the bad guy. One guy can be the joking guy, then there's the super serious chick and the comedy relief mascot guy. Also there's a big guy who's really strong and doesn't say much. There can be a scene where one of the heroes seems to be dead but they get revived.

It is a concept that has been done many times. The thing is, that GotG did it with charisma. You do not like the movie. That is great. The thing is that many people did and many people who do not get involved in following movies like this also found its charisma appealing.

Sometimes, finding the right cast chemistry is all it takes.

I'm not a writer but I heard that when you break it down, there's really only a handful of stories to tell (Star Wars being the Hero's Journey IIRC). It doesn't come down to the originality of the story itself- rather the originality of how it is presented.

Anyone who takes a course in screenwriting will eventually find there are even terms for these plot devices...MacGuffin for instance, is the 'thing that will destroy the Universe.'

The Joseph Campbell monomyth structure..

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

Most aspiring screenwriters end up becoming familiar with Campbell's work (e.g. 'Hero has a thousand faces,', 'Hero's journey',...). Powerful stuff there. I used to break down blockbuster films like Harry Potter and Matrix.... etc.. to get a better intuitive feel of the underlying relationship(s).

I mentioned earlier that there were a lot of archetypal similarities between GOTG and Star Wars.

IMO, that's the monomyth structure at work and it paid off here.

I'd say 96-98% of action/adventure movies follow a very similar formula. The good guys always win, but have to overcome a lot adversity (often times involves infighting). The bad guy has to appear to be a real threat or it's not interesting.

So let's apply this to another MCU file....basic outline isn't very far off from Thor 2 either (Loki was more of a hero than a villain in this film). Well get used to it, with 3 more infinity stones to go and the final showdown, this basic premise will play out 4 more times.

yep there are screenwriting formulas-avengers an guardians are the same formula but one i liked one i didn't.

Well, I really disliked IM3... but then again, considering the box office performance numbers, I'm willing to concede that there were some really good aspects about the overall movie, that I just didn't get.

I also didn't like CA 1 too much, but I seem to be outside the norm here; and I respect other collector's opinions. For me, I'm just glad CA 2 came along. Now that-- I really liked a lot.

Most aspiring screenwriters end up becoming familiar with Campbell's work (e.g. 'Hero has a thousand faces,', 'Hero's journey',...). Powerful stuff there.

I really have to take the time to sit down and read these, instead of just listening to the PBS interviews.

Most aspiring screenwriters end up becoming familiar with Campbell's work (e.g. 'Hero has a thousand faces,', 'Hero's journey',...). Powerful stuff there.

I really have to take the time to sit down and read these, instead of just listening to the PBS interviews.

Campbell's work is pretty dry and more related to pervasive archetypes across different cultures (and a lot of C Jung's ideas). If you are interested in the relationship to successful modern films, I'd highly suggest the following books...

http://www.amazon.com/Writers-Journey-Mythic-Structure-3rd/dp/193290736X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414366525&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Myth-Movies-Discovering-Structure-Unforgettable/dp/0941188663/ref=sr_1_23?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414366404&sr=1-23&keywords=hero%27s+journey+films

Campbell's work is pretty dry and more related to pervasive archetypes across different cultures (and a lot of C Jung's ideas). If you are interested in the relationship to successful modern films, I'd highly suggest the following books...

Not really interested in modern filmmakers use of Campbell for screenplays. However, this: "pervasive archetypes across different cultures" fascinates me.

and, yes, I am the life of the party. :banana:

What's the going rate on GOTG related books now? I was on a hiatus when the books peaked in price I think. I may try and pick up a few of them now that everyone and their mother is distracted with DC and Ms Marvel/Panther/Strange for the time being.

Did GOTG #1 2008 ever hit $150 raw?

James Gunn Confirms Adam Warlock's Cocoon For Guardians of the Galaxy & Thor 2

------------------

"Many people may look up to the right of The Collector. As we first see The Collector, we push in on him and you will see a certain duck named Howard that turns to look at the group. That's one of my favorite little things. The background there is the Slither creatures from my movie Slither behind The Collector; those guys are pretty obvious. You have Adam Warlock's cocoon. You have also sorts of characters from other Marvel movies. The Dark Elf back there, who is played by Doug Jones, who is one of our stunt guys that had the Dark Elf make-up on. So you had a lot of different guys in the background."

Gunn also adds that The Collector has more than one "museum," with the one shown in Guardians of the Galaxy being the Knowhere "wing."

------------------

:whee:

:whistle:August 2014

James Gunn Confirms Adam Warlock's Cocoon For Guardians of the Galaxy & Thor 2

------------------

"Many people may look up to the right of The Collector. As we first see The Collector, we push in on him and you will see a certain duck named Howard that turns to look at the group. That's one of my favorite little things. The background there is the Slither creatures from my movie Slither behind The Collector; those guys are pretty obvious. You have Adam Warlock's cocoon. You have also sorts of characters from other Marvel movies. The Dark Elf back there, who is played by Doug Jones, who is one of our stunt guys that had the Dark Elf make-up on. So you had a lot of different guys in the background."

Gunn also adds that The Collector has more than one "museum," with the one shown in Guardians of the Galaxy being the Knowhere "wing."

------------------

:whee:

:whistle:August 2014

Thanks.