• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I miss the laser disc days. Those were jam-packed with extra stuff. You could literally spend days going over all the material.

On many of the releases, especially the Criterion ones, you could turn on a special audio channel and watch the entire movie with the director and a small group of cast and crew commenting on the movie. Each scene would trigger new discussions about how the shot was made, problems, etc. I loved that.

I miss the laser disc days. Those were jam-packed with extra stuff. You could literally spend days going over all the material.

On many of the releases, especially the Criterion ones, you could turn on a special audio channel and watch the entire movie with the director and a small group of cast and crew commenting on the movie. Each scene would trigger new discussions about how the shot was made, problems, etc. I loved that.

??? Cast & crew commentary hardly died with the laserdisc.

For the entire movie, as it plays in real time?

hm Maybe the new Blu-rays have it now. I haven't purchased one in a while.

There are plenty of DVDs as well as Blu Rays that have that feature. Some have the option to turn the commentary on in the language selection and others have it in the special features selection where it will be marked 'commentary'. The Godfather movies were particularly interesting with Coppala talking about everything from his interjections of family history into the movie to movies like Citizen Kane (which I do not believe was a Criteriorn disc) in which Ebert takes you through the movie to explain the significance of each scene. I also remember some amusing commentary in all of the Kevin Smith films which with the exception of "Chasing Amy" were most certainly not Criterion films.

Holy!

And we thought any of us had seen drama on here.

James Gunn Responds To Controversy Around His Recent DC Movie Slate Comments

I'm not even going to directly post what this fellow sent to James Gunn due to his DC/Warner roadmap comments.

:ohnoez:

But I do think Gunn's response was handled well.

-----------------------

You're welcome.

Also, while we're at it, I don't have any problems with DC characters or DC movies. I grew up reading them and loving them just like I did Marvel characters. What seems to have outraged a small section of DC acolytes is, when asked what I thought of the DC slate, I said I didn't really have an opinion, because at this point it's a list of titles I don't know much about. I went on to explain that with Marvel we've seen most of the onscreen portrayals of the characters in upcoming films, as well as the actors who play them, and we know many of the writers and directors making these films. You kind of know whether you like Marvel movies or not. But what we know about the DC projects in comparison is small. I'm excited and hopeful that these movies are good. But I'm waiting to see just like the rest of you.

PRETTY OUTRAGEOUS, HUH?!

I'd like to say I'm dumbfounded as to how this line of thinking has caused controversy, but I'm not. If there's one thing I've learned in my years on the Internet is that people LOVE to be outraged and look for any chance they can to be so.

Love you all. Even the outraged ones. Bat-Mite for life. xo James

-----------------------

I had read his original interview on the subject, and took it the way he explains. DC/Warner has announced a bunch of movies that may or may not be hits. But as far as how they all tell a story, he wasn't sure what that was yet where Marvel had each of the movies playing off of each other.

There are plenty of DVDs as well as Blu Rays that have that feature. Some have the option to turn the commentary on in the language selection and others have it in the special features selection where it will be marked 'commentary'. The Godfather movies were particularly interesting with Coppala talking about everything from his interjections of family history into the movie to movies like Citizen Kane (which I do not believe was a Criteriorn disc) in which Ebert takes you through the movie to explain the significance of each scene. I also remember some amusing commentary in all of the Kevin Smith films which with the exception of "Chasing Amy" were most certainly not Criterion films.

Cool. I'm glad to see that feature being utilized. None of the DVDs or Blu-rays I've rented or purchased have had it for some reason.

Yep, running commentary over the entire film. Usually it's neat for a few minutes then gets dull/repetitive. If you're at all into the Coen Brothers, check out the commentary for Blood Simple. It's a very serious early neo-noir film from them with hilarious commentary by fake restoration expert Kenneth Loring. Here's a faux interview with him: http://www.dvdtalk.com/interviews/kenneth_loring.html.

Yep, running commentary over the entire film. Usually it's neat for a few minutes then gets dull/repetitive. If you're at all into the Coen Brothers, check out the commentary for Blood Simple. It's a very serious early neo-noir film from them with hilarious commentary by fake restoration expert Kenneth Loring. Here's a faux interview with him: http://www.dvdtalk.com/interviews/kenneth_loring.html.

Thanks.

I love the Coen Brothers. :cloud9:

O Brother, Where Art Thou? is, bar none, one of my favorite movies of all time. In fact, Down from the Mountain re-energized my love of bluegrass and got me into Alison Krauss.

Cool. I'm glad to see that feature being utilized. None of the DVDs or Blu-rays I've rented or purchased have had it for some reason.

Most of the time, rentals are just the movie. Some of them even have a special features button, that when you click says buy the movie to get the special features.

Most of the time, rentals are just the movie. Some of them even have a special features button, that when you click says buy the movie to get the special features.

Most of my Blu-rays have special features, but they've usually been limited to deleted scenes, interviews, etc. You're right about the rentals, and it makes sense that they would use it as a vehicle to entice a purchase.

I am really leaning toward this being the first Marvel Blu Ray I ever pick up.

:o You've never picked up a Marvel Blu Ray? I think I've got all of them. That is crazy.

Nope... How many uses am I really going to get out of it. I learned that lesson the hard way with DVDs. There are very few Discs I actually buy these days and most them have to be on some kind of bargain sale or a used copy to justify the purchase.

I do have a few of the Pixar and Disney films, Godfather Trilogy, Man With No Name Trilogy, Star Wars Saga, Nolan Batmans, Indiana Jones 4 Discs and extended the Rings Trilogy. After that I have a couple of assorted films like Casablanca and Gump.

But I can see the Marvel movies at any point and I have netflix so I am very reluctant to buy films.

But I can see the Marvel movies at any point and I have netflix so I am very reluctant to buy films.
But wait. You won't be able to see all the Marvel One-Shots that are featured on Blu-Ray only.

(5) 2014 - Marvel One-Shot - ALL HAIL THE KING... by aquiestajesus

Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter (2013) by limukohou

marvel.one.shot.item.47 by matia210OOPS. Never mind. :sorry:

Walmart exclusice Soundtrack Zinepack:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/40636820

The Guardians Of The Galaxy Awesome Mix Vol. 1 ZinePak features the the Billboard 200 Chart Topping soundtrack with music from the motion picture. It also includes a 64-page magazine with cast and crew interviews, exclusive behind-the-scenes photos and trivia PLUS a mix tape laptop decal and much more. This limited-edition collectible is available only at Walmart and Walmart.com while supplies last.

I would bet on this being the exclusive gift that comes with the Walmart edition of the movie since the release date is 12/09 as well.