• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The time has come...

143 posts in this topic

I always liked your line "I only sell the cleanest copies" or something to that effect. You stopped using that line. (shrug)

Yeah, I think people know that by now, but maybe I should start including that bit of business again.

In ending - you will always get a great copy from me. Some people don't care about their reputation. I do.

:golfclap:

I appreciate sellers like you. I'm personally learning how to grade more accurately and I will always undergrade something that has any noticeable defect if I'm selling it raw. But I think it's bull when a seller refuses to assign a grade. Oftentimes scans will not pick up on defects you'd otherwise see in person. And if a scan doesn't pick up a defect, it must be described. There's no excuse for that.

This is a CGC chat boards, you should grade your book according to CGC standards. This means 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 for high grades. If your not capable of grading with the tightness of CGC standards. Your next option is to use a scanner. Than describe yourself as not a professional grader, please see front and back scans. Taking a photo with your phone and saying new condition, isn't a credible grade. I'll buy books through PM's if I like the grade, I won't waste my time with threads of ungraded books.

This is a CGC chat boards, you should grade your book according to CGC standards. This means 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 for high grades. If your not capable of grading with the tightness of CGC standards. Your next option is to use a scanner. Than describe yourself as not a professional grader, please see front and back scans. Taking a photo with your phone and saying new condition, isn't a credible grade. I'll buy books through PM's if I like the grade, I won't waste my time with threads of ungraded books.

Hi Tom

:hi:

Hi Tom

:hi:

Didn't make it to Orlando, hope you got all the good books :)

I am always skeptical of buying raws, especially here because why would anyone sell solid 9.8s here rather than have them graded and get 3x the money or more.

I assume all moderns being sold places like here and other boards are culls that people didn't think would make 9.8 and looking for a place to dump.

That being said I have sold a couple of 9.8 books raw on Ebay and honestly regret it now that I am getting stuff graded heavily (books I sold were Superior Spiderman Quesada covers, 6th Gun #2, and 3 #1 Nowhere men)

I've been here a little over a year. Never sold, because I know I can't grade that well yet..

I have bought from some of the new guys because I wanted the certain issues they have, I never expect much from them. A few have been good, some not so much. And packaging can be part of the problem also.

I have also bought from JJ and Dre and many other longer members here.. And I can say I would buy from JJ and Dre as well as a few others blindly because the books I get from them are always outstanding and packed well.

I don't like the way the modern selling section has become, because its takes more time to figure out what's what in there. Used to be one or two I wasn't fimiliar with. Now it's one or two that I know.

My 2c

I'm not a long-term vet, but I do take grading seriously. Like others have said, I really don't like selling raws (hassle), but will if I have too many and are not going to slab'em. I know it's frustrating to the long-term members when bunches of noobs jump in without doing the research. I'd like to think I have and learned some hard-knocks through the PGM forum.

Mid-grades are very (very) subjective. I've seen some 5.0's slabbed that I thought were rough and vice-versa. It's a ongoing learning process for all (at least it should be) and you'll never hear me claiming to be an expert. Just a grading enthusiast.

I think (JJ) what the forums really need is a touch of humility from time to time. Less chaos and hype.

My 2c

I am always skeptical of buying raws, especially here because why would anyone sell solid 9.8s here rather than have them graded and get 3x the money or more.

I assume all moderns being sold places like here and other boards are culls that people didn't think would make 9.8 and looking for a place to dump.

That being said I have sold a couple of 9.8 books raw on Ebay and honestly regret it now that I am getting stuff graded heavily (books I sold were Superior Spiderman Quesada covers, 6th Gun #2, and 3 #1 Nowhere men)

Well if you look at my pricing of CGC over what the raw pricing it's usually the cost of the raw, plus the CGC Fast Track grading factoring in shipping and a little bit extra for my effort.

Some people don't want every book CGC, some people may want to hold onto to them for future SS ops that aren't readily available at the moment. Some people only like raw. Everybody has their own particular tastes when it comes to the titles they collect.

I'll chime in even though I'm new. I have very little experience with grading. I only have a few slabbed books, and the rest are raw. Whenever I sell something, I always had front and back scans. And, since I don't feel comfortable stating a numerical grade for comics, I list every flaw I see on the comic, even if it's extremely hard to see. When I have sold comics on ebay, I list extremely small flaws and have close-ups of them. I'd rather point out every flaw instead of having a buyer that's disappointed or feels cheated when they get the comic.

I'll chime in even though I'm new. I have very little experience with grading. I only have a few slabbed books, and the rest are raw. Whenever I sell something, I always had front and back scans. And, since I don't feel comfortable stating a numerical grade for comics, I list every flaw I see on the comic, even if it's extremely hard to see. When I have sold comics on ebay, I list extremely small flaws and have close-ups of them. I'd rather point out every flaw instead of having a buyer that's disappointed or feels cheated when they get the comic.

I agree - I list as much as possible and include scans, would rather my listing not sell than someone get the book and dispute my description.

...Maybe instead of jumping in and selling immediately to capture small earnings spend some time understanding the concept of grading...

...board guidelines...respect...community...following through with books purchased, etc. Though I see a lot of books listed in titles that I want, I skip sale threads just because of who's selling. Some people are just too lazy to read simple guidelines...or even get to know the community. Snake oil. 2c