• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bobpfef's Overly Long Chicago Con Report

22 posts in this topic

I know this is a little late, but I've been away from a computer for the most part until today, and I've always wanted to do one of these. So...

Warning - This contains con reports contains boring person stuff and feature third rate comics most of you are probably not interested in. You've been warned. grin.gif

I used to attend the Chicago Comic Con every year from the early 1980's (when it was in the Ramada O' Hare) to 1994 (by then moved to the Rosemont convention center and bought out by Wizard). I always went with my friend Randy, and it was the highlight of our summers. Before we could drive (I was 13 when I went to the first one) we would take a LONG bus ride from Duluth Minnesota. Once we could drive we could cut off quite a bit of time and we would usually leave at midnight Thursday so we could arrive early on Friday but not have to pay for a hotel room. Randy and I self-published comics then and we were on the guest list, and once or twice I appeared on a panel. It was a good time, we would met up with other publishing friends and have a blast. Usually I only slept about 2 or 3 hours all weekend.

1994 I went to my last Con with my girlfriend (now wife) and it had gotten so big and loud (and expensive) that decided it wasn't worth it anymore and would take a year or two off. Then grad school, kids, buying a house, jobs, real life happened and a year or two break turned into 10 years. I started to get the itch to go last year but couldn't make it happen. This year I convinced (tricked) my family into going on a family trip to Chicago the same weekend as the con. They could even go to the convention for a day. It would a fun family bonding thing smile.gif Well, they bought it and so wife and 3 kids (age 6, 3 and 1) were packed in the van Thursday and I was going to the con cool.gif My friend Randy had even decided to go and so I was going to met him at the con on Friday.

I had saved up about $750 of "my money" (as opposed to "family money" -- a concept the wife isn't quite sure she agrees with blush.gif ) and I had 3 comic buying goals with this convention.

1. Buy one "big book" - I was looking for a classic cover Golden Age, preferablely CGCed, in a nice looking mid-grade that I would be happy to own in the 300 - 500 range. I had never bought a book like that, but had ohhed and awed over them and I figured now was the time to finally get one. A couple of books I had targeted in the Hertiage auction were Plasticman #3 and World's Finest #7.

2. Work on my Little Lulu and John Stanley want list. I've been using ebay pretty much exclusively for this these past few years and was hoping to find some of the tougher books away from the dozen or so eyes of same people who outbid me auction after auction shocked.gif

3. Finish up my Gladstone Don Rosa collection.

Actual con report ---

Friday -

The first booth I went to had a nice selection of Gladstones and I started to dig through them. I noticed the guy next to me also going through the Gladstones was pulling out all the Rosa. I looked closer and saw he was wearing an Eega Beeva shirt which is what a ebay dealer who had recently sold an FC 74 (and I had been outbid on 893frustrated.gif ) told me he would be wearing at the con. Thinking that there couldn't be too many Eega Beeva shirts out there I asked if he was that ebay dealer. He said I was. I introduced myself and we chatted for a bit. He asked what I was looking for, I said Rosa books, and he said he left a few in there wink.gif He finished with about 50 books from that dealer, I had about 20. He got a HUGE discount, I assume he was friends with that guy, and when I gave the dealer my books he told the dealer to give his friend (me) that same discount, so I got nearly 40% off a nice stack. Cool. Nice start to the con. I ran into him later and we chatted for about 30 minutes. He was trying to take me into being a full-time ebay dealer 27_laughing.gif. Nice guy with some interesting ideas about selling on ebay which I'll probably discuss in another post.

Started looking through various dealers for Lulu and Stanley and taking down a few wall books here or there. Most of the wall books seemed to be over priced, even the mid-grades. It was a bit odd because the mid-grades usually go under guide on ebay but everything with a nice cover was guide or higher. Superworld had a nice 4.5 Superman #23 that I was thinking about but for about $100 over guide. I thought I could do better. I saw tons for really cool Batman's and Detectives and World's Finest (some really great covers on that book) but nothing that thought was a good deal. I was getting frustrated because it seemed that the wall books were just there to get me to stop but no one really had them priced to sell. Maybe THAT was why I never bought one all those year ago when I went to the con? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I did have better luck with my Stanley's. I found some nice New Funnies that he had work in, and some Nancy's (though those Nancy's are hard, those Nancy collectors scoop them up pretty quickly), and some of his later stuff like Melvin the Monster and O.G. Whiz. I was really happy to find these two Oswald Four Colors. Both feature book long Stanley stories which are pretty rare. He mainly did 8 - 14 page stories. Oswald #143 is Stanley's version of a Carl Barks-style adventure story, with all the expected wild deviations from the norm. Not really all that valuable but I was really glad to find copies.

FC143.jpg

FC183.jpg

Most people who had Lulu's only had about issue 40 and up, which I can find pretty easily. What was different is that even those common issues were usually priced pretty high. Maybe someone told them Lulu was a hot book, but I was seeing many copies that I would only pay a few bucks for at 10 - 15. I doubt they sold many at those prices. And some had early Lulu's had just crazy prices on them. I saw a #9 in VF for $400. 893frustrated.gif

A few dealers mentioned they had sold most of their early Lulus on Thursday, so I figured they were in the hands of other dealers and I would either find them for crazy prices at the con or on ebay. I was getting a bit discouraged about finding anything reasonably priced with I asked a dealer to look at Lulu #1 in VG-ish condition for $200. A bit high, but guide on Lulu #1 is stupidly overpriced (dammit people, it is the NINTH issue of Lulu, the FCs before the #1 are MUCH harder to find, yet almost all the FCs are worth less then #1, sheesh, stupid Overstreet... sign-rantpost.gif ) He said he had more and pulled out a box in the back of his table. He had 4 of the Four Colors (included 3 I still needed) and a bunch of early issues including a 4 and 9, and a nice run in the 20s and 30s. His grading was pretty good and prices were just a bit over guide, but less then I would have to pay on ebay. I picked up the Four Colors I needed and he gave me a nice discount. I made a note to come back and see if I could get a deal one the rest of the stuff I needed on my list.

FC120.jpg

I found the dealer that was holding some Batman books Flying Dounut had brought for me to look at. I've gotten some nice G - VGish Batman books before from him so he thought of me when he picked up some new ones. I passed on two right away (one I didn't like the cover, the other was too beat up, even for MY meager collection wink.gif ) but he had a NICE Batman #43 with a great Penguin cover I was coveting. I said I would look around but to hold the Penguin book. He also gave me some ideas for family fun things to do so I could attend the CGC dinner 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I went by the CGC booth a few times, but it was always so packed I never got to submit the books I had brought. I had never gotten a book slabbed before and had a few questions but those guys were just swamped. I went back a few times during the con but never got to talk to anyone and so I still have never gotten a book CGCed foreheadslap.gif

Friday night went to the Heritage auction with my friend Randy. I ended up getting the Plasticman #3 for a price I was happy with. It was fun to see a Heritage auction live. Some books just went for crazy money (I was SHOCKED at the American Splender #1) while other went pretty low (at least I thought so). Low and mid-grades were much cheaper at the auction then on the convention floor. I would have picked up the World's Finest #7 as well, as it sold for a price I would have paid but I didn't want to blow all my money on the first day. 812065007o.jpg

Saturday -

I spend a good part of my time looking for the dealer who had those Lulu's. I forgot to write down his name because I was sure I could find the booth again, but darnit, I couldn't seem to find it. Took me 3 or 4 passes before I finally located it. I looked through his whole Lulu stock. Seems as it was part of a brand new collection he had just got, and he said he had just finished pricing it and grading it that Friday. Most of the books were solid VG to nice Fine priced pretty much at guide. I decided that I would have to pay way more on ebay for those books and so I got a nice big pile of everything I needed plus some doubles on my list that were upgrades for me. Ended up with about $680 sticker total. I asked what was the best he could do (I had about half the books in the mind as "must-haves", and half as "willing-to-put-backs" - I wasn't going to take them all unless I got a hellva deal). He said $350. shocked.gif I took out my wallet. I would just call my Plasticman my big book I guess, I couldn't pass that up. That also meant passing on Donut's Batman #43 but dammit, these are LULU COMICS!

I met up with Steve (143ksk) and traded some Lulu readers for Pogo readers. He also gave me some cool old Archies and even an Archie book. acclaim.gif I wish I would have stopped and chatted more but things were getting a bit crazy.

I noticed that most dealers seemed really busy. Often times they would just hand me a wall book and then ignore me as they were swamped. More then once I heard a dealer in a booth yelling into a cell phone "Get over here NOW!" - I'm not sure what sales were like but there were plenty of people looking at books.

I also showed my wife and kids a cool piece of Lulu art Heritage had in there auction that night. I was shocked at how low the bid was so I put in a bid that I was sure would be outbid. I didn't even bother to check out the auction results Sunday because I knew I wouldn't get it, but when I finally go back to a computer a few days later I found I had won it! Now I have to figure out where to put it up in the front room.

812010023o.jpg

My wife and kids went to the con on Saturday so I hung out with them and my friend for most of that day. Went to see Josh Wheldon, who was very entertaining. My kids had a GREAT time at the con, and I must say Wizard has really improved the con from the last time I went making it fun and kid friendly for the younger set. My middle daughter loves everything related to the animated Justice League cartoon and she was in heaven looking at all that cool stuff. My boy played a ton of PS2 and many of the different games they would demo and play with you. He was mad that I hadn't taken him the day before he had so much fun. I was dog tired out by the end of the day, and they wanted to go get pizza and I decided to just do that rather then go to the CGC dinner. I wish I would have been able to make it to the dinner, but I must say I don't think I made the wrong decision spending a nice evening have great Chicago pizza with my family. Hopefully next year I can make it though.

Even though my wife and kids weren't originally supposed to go to the con on Sunday they all decided they wanted to go back. I spent most of that day with them. I picked up a few books but nothing major as I was pretty much tapped out.

I had a few sorta interesting dealer stories, but my hand is sore from all this typing. Maybe I will add them later. Sorry this is so long. sleeping.gif

Great report, Bob! Sorry we missed each other, though. frown.gif

I was dog tired out by the end of the day, and they wanted to go get pizza and I decided to just do that rather then go to the CGC dinner. I wish I would have been able to make it to the dinner, but I must say I don't think I made the wrong decision spending a nice evening have great Chicago pizza with my family.

Where'd you go for pizza?

Alan

Great report, Bob! Sorry we missed each other, though.

Yeah, I was really bummed I didn't get to met more CGC Forum people. Maybe I just wasn't social enough. I am pretty sure I saw a few as I was hanging around Metro or Gary C's booth but I never got the courage up to introduce myself. One booth I was standing next to a guy who looking through a Centaur book and asking the dealer if he had anymore. I am pretty sure I know who that was 27_laughing.gif

Where'd you go for pizza?

Giordano's. The wait was long but the pizza was excellent. Had both a stuffed and a thin crust and enjoyed them both! I really regret not being able to track down some of the shaved beef sandwiches. I thought I found a place near our hotel but they were closed for repairs. 893frustrated.gif We ended up eating McDonalds that day sorry.gif

I LOVE Giordano's

Man, is THAT the truth. EASILY the best pizza I have ever had. I want to try a shrimp one the next time I am there.

Great report! Love the original art!

As do I, but more important, so does the wife, which allowed me to go over budget to get it acclaim.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gif There is a bit of white out in the 3rd panel but it is framed and will look wonderful in the front room when I get it!

Eegabeeva used to be a regional comic retailer up here in Canada. I hear more about his exploits on these boards than at the local comicons, as he went underground about 8 yrs ago after his comic chain went bankrupt.

Eegabeeva used to be a regional comic retailer up here in Canada. I hear more about his exploits on these boards than at the local comicons, as he went underground about 8 yrs ago after his comic chain went bankrupt.

Very interesting guy. He had some interesting things to say about dealing comics, but I'll get into that some other time.

Glad to hear it Bob...and don't think I won't carry you not thanking me to my grave.

The last time I ever try to help Bob.

Oh, and thanks for letting me know about it! acclaim.gif

Actually I had eaten there before, during previous conventions. It was just as good as I remember, though a lot busier!

Bob

Great report Bob - good to meet you too.

Same here, sorry we didn't get to chat longer. There were about 2 dozen people all around the booth at the time and it was a bit crazy. My main regret is I didn't get to talk to too many fellow forum members. Oh well, I'll have to try really hard to swing the Forum diner next year.

BTW, still have that Batman 43...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

LOVE the Lulu artwork. You better watch out. The artwork bug is very contagious.

I love that piece, but almost didn't get it because I have NO idea how to price artwork. What is a fair price for something like that?? After showing it to the wife and getting thumbs up I put a bid on it but I have no idea if I got a deal or paid too much. I tend to think did okay as I ended up winning it for $92 with the BP, but I honestly don't have a clue.

The other problem with artwork is I'd have to figure out a better way to display it. Most of it is so large I'd really have a place on the wall to put it up.