• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best and Worst Events in Comic-dom

21 posts in this topic

Another thread got me to thinking about this so i figured I would throw it out here for discussion.

What do you feel has been the best, or at least the best handled, event in modern comic history?

Conversely, what do you feel has been the worst, or the worst missed opportunity?

Ill start this off:

Best in Marvel: Civil War

This was the series that got me reading comics again after about a 8 year hiatus and I think was expertly written....some of the art was amazing and could have really been a seminal event in Marvel continuity

Worst in Marvel: tie between Civil War and the whole Onslaught Thing (or if you want to go Ultimate universe, then by far Ultimatum)

I mention Civil War again, not because of the event itself, but the fallout was supremely mishandled. Look at the Marvel world today.....barely a scrap of change that occured out of Civil War still applies to the Marvel world.

The Onslaught fiasco was what turned me away from comics, before Civil War brought me back

The less said about Ultimatum the better. I can just picture the marvel war room on this one "Hey guys!....lets take a brand new universe that we have made extremely popular and completely destroy it and make it just like our main continuity. Whaddya say?"....and Joe Q approved it.......pass the pipe please, we are done here.

Best In DC: Sinestro Corps War/Blackest Night

This was the best thing to happen to DC in a LONG time and i think even beats out Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Geoff Johns will forever be known by what he did during this time and the art was superb as well.

This event revitalized one of their flagship heroes.

Worst in DC: Return of Bruce Wayne

really guys? You had the opportunity to "pass the torch" to a new batman and you tripped on the damn torch while walking down the hallway.

I think Grayson could have been a much more interesting character as the horned wonder, and when you add in trying to live up to Bruce Wayne it could have acted as a way of bridging the gap between the old characters and a newer generation.

instead lets dig up bruce and use the old "travelling through time" storyline to get him back!

Way to go guys......I am sure felt as violated as when Tarantula raped him

I grew up with Marvel and the same event that turned you away turned me away. I can't really speak to the best handled event, since I've pretty much stayed away and read the trades years after the events happened (house of M, civil war)

When I came back I was into a lot of the Vertigo and Image stuff like WD, but I think House of M was about to begin. Interesting idea for a thread and maybe i'll get some good reading recommendations hm

I also fondly remember the Infinity Gauntlet storyline.

It has been a really long time since I read it though, so I'm not sure it "holds up".

Mutant Massacre and Acts of Vengence are other older ones I enjoyed.

And Inferno...

It may have just been my age when I was reading these. I loved the X-Men growing up.

This is kind of a companion thread to one I made regarding continuity within the big two.

This all goes back to what i think they need......a continuity manager to go around and pre-approve storylines and if it doesnt fit into canon, then they get beat about the head and neck with a replica of Black Tom's shillelagh if it doesn't fit.

Kind of like how Michael Okuda did for so long with Star Trek series

I really liked the civil war story line, really was something that seemed based in our reality.

I hated the secret invasion event. "Wow, you mean he was a skrull?" Was something I never said. I just didn't care about it.

I would agree with the whole All New X-Men thing, but doesn't it kind of negate the last 50 years of X-Men continuity? So what happens if/when they go back?....does Professor X do the Vulcan mind wipe and make them forget about it?

I was a Marvel Zombie for most of my life. A few years ago One More Day really changed my taste. I slowly started venturing out and now my pull list is mostly dominated by Indie books and the like.

I'd say my favorite event was Secret Wars. I'm a bit young for it, but I remember picking it up years ago in back issues and reading it. It was a blast when I was a kid.

And I hate events now. I avoid them like the plague.

I would agree with the whole All New X-Men thing, but doesn't it kind of negate the last 50 years of X-Men continuity? So what happens if/when they go back?....does Professor X do the Vulcan mind wipe and make them forget about it?

I think the young x-men that were brought to present day are from a different timeline. I could be wrong though.

I can't believe nobody mentioned the KING of all turd sandwiches:SECRET WARS!

Worst Marvel: Secret Wars. period, no need to elaborate

Best Marvel: I'm going old school with the Kree Skrull War!

Worst DC: Death In The Family. Jim Aparo was really mailing it in art-wise. I can't stand his "Jay Leno Chin" Joker

Best DC: Crisis. Contrast it with Secret Wars which was at the same time and it's amazing what DC did

I can't believe nobody mentioned the KING of all turd sandwiches:SECRET WARS!

Worst Marvel: Secret Wars. period, no need to elaborate

Best Marvel: I'm going old school with the Kree Skrull War!

Worst DC: Death In The Family. Jim Aparo was really mailing it in art-wise. I can't stand his "Jay Leno Chin" Joker

Best DC: Crisis. Contrast it with Secret Wars which was at the same time and it's amazing what DC did

Someone did mention the Secret Wars and IMHO I liked it.

I loved the X-Men with the Brood and the StarJammers. Well pretty much Chris Claremont X-Men ruled back in the day.