• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

&%%#$$&(*)*&%%

160 posts in this topic

In 1947, Bradbury wrote a short story titled "Bright Phoenix" (later revised for publication in a 1963 issue of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction).[4] Bradbury expanded the basic premise of "Bright Phoenix" into The Fireman, a novella published in the February 1951 issue of Galaxy Science Fiction. First published in 1953 by Ballantine Books, Fahrenheit 451 is twice as long as "The Fireman". A few months later, the novel was serialized in the March, April, and May 1954 issues of Playboy.[5] Bradbury wrote the entire novel in the basement of UCLA's Powell Library on a pay typewriter that he rented for a fee of ten cents per half an hour.[6]

from wiki. so Playboy wasn't the first printing.

Don't know that I'd trust the wiki, but yea I found a similar article. Thanks for copy and paste!

And I believe Edgar Rice Burrows got his start in Playboy.

:o

:facepalm:

lol

smiley_nah.gif

Even Ray Bradbury initially wrote Fahrenheit 451 for Playboy.

smiley_nah.gif

That is true- look it up. Taught the book last year. It was written in vignettes and later collected.

Edit: Hmmm maybe he didn't "initially" write it for Playboy. I failed all those students... Looks like he edited it and serialized it. Then he edited the book again so there is a bunch of additions of the novel out there.

None the less, my initial point that Playboy does not have the same caliber of articles holds true.

again, agree on your last sentence. Playboy once housed cutting edge fiction.

In 1947, Bradbury wrote a short story titled "Bright Phoenix" (later revised for publication in a 1963 issue of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction).[4] Bradbury expanded the basic premise of "Bright Phoenix" into The Fireman, a novella published in the February 1951 issue of Galaxy Science Fiction. First published in 1953 by Ballantine Books, Fahrenheit 451 is twice as long as "The Fireman". A few months later, the novel was serialized in the March, April, and May 1954 issues of Playboy.[5] Bradbury wrote the entire novel in the basement of UCLA's Powell Library on a pay typewriter that he rented for a fee of ten cents per half an hour.[6]

from wiki. so Playboy wasn't the first printing.

Don't know that I'd trust the wiki, but yea I found a similar article. Thanks for copy and paste!

yeah wiki is iffy.

I read Playboy for the articles.

See back in the day they had some superb literature in Playboy. That hasn't been true for a long time though. Heck, Ian Flemming wrote some of his early James Bond stories for Playboy. And I believe Edgar Rice Burrows got his start in Playboy. Even Ray Bradbury initially wrote Fahrenheit 451 for Playboy.

I don't think we are seeing that level of literature in the magazine anymore. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong though.

Edgar Rice Burroughs died before the first issue of Playboy was published. I didn't think it was possible to type something that stupid, and yet, there it is.

He's talking about ER BURROWS :makepoint:

2 totally different guys! Instead of Tarzan, he wrote a lot of titty jokes (thumbs u

About Tarzan? :wishluck:

See back in the day they had some superb literature in Playboy. That hasn't been true for a long time though. Heck, Ian Flemming wrote some of his early James Bond stories for Playboy. And I believe Edgar Rice Burrows got his start in Playboy. Even Ray Bradbury initially wrote Fahrenheit 451 for Playboy.

I don't think we are seeing that level of literature in the magazine anymore. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong though.

Edgar Rice Burroughs died before the first issue of Playboy was published. I didn't think it was possible to type something that stupid, and yet, there it is.

2 totally different guys! Instead of Tarzan, he wrote a lot of titty jokes (thumbs u

No, it was Boy.

You got the misspelling AND the posthumous attribution at the same time! :o

The ginger blade is double edged!

Another interesting point, the original Tarzan movie was one of the first "big budget" films to have a topless woman.

I'm full of these interesting facts. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong though... :sorry:

Another interesting point, the original Tarzan movie was one of the first "big budget" films to have a topless woman.

I'm full of these interesting facts. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong though... :sorry:

Pics or id didn't happen.

No, it was Boy.

Cheetah? :wishluck::wishluck:

Once you spend 10 minutes on this board you know first hand that Id happens....Id is happening all over the damn place.

Once you spend 10 minutes on this board you know first hand that Id happens....Id is happening all over the damn place.

lol Cheetah?

Stephen King wrote a goodly number of stories for Playboy, amongst many other "fine art" publications.

And yes, I finally remembered my password! So long, slym2... we barely knew ye.

-slym

I'll be interested to see how we remember Stephen King in 50 years. Not sure you can breath his name in the same vein as Flemming and Bradbuy but maybe...

Stephen King wrote a goodly number of stories for Playboy, amongst many other "fine art" publications.

-slym

Aw, just when I was warmin up to slym2

-slym

I'll be interested to see how we remember Stephen King in 50 years. Not sure you can breath his name in the same vein as Flemming and Bradbuy but maybe...

IMHO, he is already up there with the other greats. But, since he is my favourite fiction author of all time, I may be a bit biased.

:grin:

-slym

-slym

Aw, just when I was warmin up to slym2

Get off of me, you perv.

:baiting:

-slym

-slym

IMHO, he is already up there with the other greats. But, since he is my favourite fiction author of all time, I may be a bit biased.

-slym

Was it common for all of these other guys to use dozens of different writers?

That seems to be an accusation against a few of the more prolific ones.

-slym

-slym

I think he's pretty much locked as one of the 20th century's most popular writers. And the movie connection will place him ahead of a lot of better writers in history's context.

And I believe Edgar Rice Burrows got his start in Playboy.

This ranks up there with the infamous water cooler remark years ago about how WWII started when the NAZI air force bombed Pearl Harbor.

:roflmao:

One of ERB's first big best sellers was A Princess of Mars (1912)

Playboy (1950s)

Maybe old ERB borrowed HG Well's Time Machine.

Some where in the time stream I can see ERB sitting on a stack on Actions 1s laughing at us all.