• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 101 CGC 9.8

23 posts in this topic

Already pushing $1,300, where do you think this will end up at?

Alot....someone dumb will pay 2,500..watch.. gossip.gif

With only 2 in the census and the other one locked up in a collection I think a little higher over 3 grand and probably leaning toward 3500 but who knows!Maybe it wont even hit reserve!

Davidking623

I don't think I've ever had a 7-11 book come back higher than an 8.5!!!

In the Northeast, new comics would come out on Wednesdays. If you got to the 7-11 after school on a Wednesday, you could grab new books before they got the spine creases from being picked over while still in the spinner rack. The other move was to go for copies in the backs of the stacks, since these were less likely to be handled than the ones in the front.

Those were the days...

Surf,

It's a great book with an awesome Phoenix cover. I was lucky to get the Golden State copy. I traded an ASM 51 9.6 & my X-Men 101 9.6 to get an ASM 51 9.4 & the 101 9.8.

I'd do it again in a second. This book will go over 2k, I would think.

Surf,

It's a great book with an awesome Phoenix cover. I was lucky to get the Golden State copy. I traded an ASM 51 9.6 & my X-Men 101 9.6 to get an ASM 51 9.4 & the 101 9.8.

I'd do it again in a second. This book will go over 2k, I would think.

With 6 days left it should hit that mark pretty easily. I tell you those first 50 new X-Men are about as good a run of comics as your going to see.

Already pushing $1,300, where do you think this will end up at?

Alot....someone dumb will pay 2,500..watch.. gossip.gif

I agree. Is it really stupid if X 3 has Phoenix?

I wouldnt pay that much for a book that I can get raw for less than $200....

I wouldnt pay that much for a book that I can get raw for less than $200....

But how could you be sure it was a 9.8? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifdevil.gif

Buy yourself a cheap CGC Modern and cut the 9.8 out and put it over the 9.0 label and you have yourself a nice looking 9.8 XMen 101 27_laughing.gif

Davidking623

"2 in the census, 1 locked away in a collection" ???

Are you kidding me? There will be TONS of these books in the census before you know it! When I was collecting in the 80s, these issues were collected heavily and were COMMON in NM, NM+ and higher. All my friends had a copy, and we all kept them in mylar.

Rule of thumb..... don't pay too much for books that were "collectable" the second they hit the stands! Especially not books from the late 70s through today! The collector market and mindset that started in the mid to late 70s makes all these books plentiful.

Many of us agree whole-Heartenedly.... The only caveat is that 9.8s, however they are different from 9.6s, will not turn up in massive amounts no matter how many were collected and speculated on cause 9.6s and 9.8s are virtually unread and untouched and undamaged by the printing and distribution processes....

But whether there are 10 or 110 9.8s out there eventually, I'm not going to be a buyer of them cause I dont se the value in the pricing spreads at that ephemeral and largely arbitrary HG level.

edit to add 'arbitrary'

The only caveat is that 9.8s, however they are different from 9.6s, will not turn up in massive amounts no matter how many were collected and speculated on cause 9.6s and 9.8s are virtually unread and untouched and undamaged by the printing and distribution processes....

But here you are talking about 9.8 as classified by CGC. This may not continue to be the hobby's high grade benchmark. Comic book certification is still far too young a market to be putting such long-term faith in these so called 'highest graded' collectables. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Comic book certification is still far too young a market to be putting such long-term faith in these so called 'highest graded' collectables. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Horse is kinda out of the barn on this already, don't you think?

Anyways, unless CGC goes and does something REALLY REALLY stupid, I see nothing that would cause them to lose their monoplistic franchise. Kind of like eBay--lots of pretenders have made runs at them, and they've certainly done stuff to tick off their customers, but at the end of the day it's the main game in town because buyers want to go where there are the most sellers and sellers want to go where there are the most buyers. As long as buyers want to buy books slabbed by CGC, then sellers are going to keep getting their books slabbed by CGC, and everything else will continue to be on the fringe.