• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 101 CGC 9.8

23 posts in this topic

In order for someone to become a sincere competitor to CGC, they'd need:

1) longterm experience and connections in the hobby

2) an impeccable knowledge of restoration techniques

3) a reputation as a tight grader

4) they'd also need to give up their comic dealing

I can think of only a very small handful of people who'd fit this bill, and most of them have been strong supporters of CGC. I can't see why any of them would want to create dissent and mess up their own dealer-profit margins in the process.

In order for someone to become a sincere competitor to CGC, they'd need:

1) longterm experience and connections in the hobby

2) an impeccable knowledge of restoration techniques

3) a reputation as a tight grader

4) they'd also need to give up their comic dealing

I can think of only a very small handful of people who'd fit this bill, and most of them have been strong supporters of CGC. I can't see why any of them would want to create dissent and mess up their own dealer-profit margins in the process.

Id say at this point, CGCs future looks pretty safe, but not unassailable. Other card grading companies can step in once they see it as profitable. But it just may be that there just isnt room for two... and CGC just might ride it out unchallenged. While many of us would like to see competition in grading, perhaps we should hope that it never comes because of the confusion it would bring to the graded books we already have. It would not be pretty if all our slabs were 'invalidated' someday due to an alternate and equally (or more highly) respected grading standard out there.