• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINALLY - A Current DC We Can ALL Enjoy

126 posts in this topic

Ian,

Any progress on that last comic?

Not yet.

New Adventure 26.

Ian - a brief aside, at the Chicago forum dinner, the board member who found the Buzzy 70 for you (I'm blanking on his name) received the largest ovation when he mentioned that in his introduction.

Ian - a brief aside, at the Chicago forum dinner, the board member who found the Buzzy 70 for you (I'm blanking on his name) received the largest ovation when he mentioned that in his introduction.

It was Archiefan (Scott). Well-deserved ovation even without the Ian assistance, he's a great guy, but it was the Buzzy 70 gift that definitely drew the applause.

You know....I just realized about that JLA cover.

Sorry to correct you, but it's the Justice Society, not the Justice League.

I stand corrected. Thanks. thumbsup2.gif

You know....I just realized about that JLA cover.......that's Starman in the foreground, and he's got quite a grip on the ol' Cosmic Rod. 893whatthe.gif

Let the Rod go, Red. tongue.gifstooges.gif

Ok. ok. sorry.gif

but I thought the rod was.....funny. confused-smiley-013.gif

hi.gifIan. I've been enjoying the hell out of Identity Crisis!!! I just picked up Strange Adventures yesterday"JSA" looking foward to reading this weekend,looks great so far!! thumbsup2.gif

The Sci Fi writer? You really do learn something new every day.

Yes. The advertising says he's a famous Sci-Fi writer. The cover looks like an amazing 1940s Science Fiction film poster. Breathtakingly eyecatching.

Yeah, the cover did look good, and I like Barry Kitson, but..... sign-rantpost.gif famous does not equal good. Anderson is a hack. He churns out bad licensed property sci fi (eg Star Wars) But, hey every dog has his day and maybe this miniseries is an exception to the rest of his writing. I hope so, comics could use some more good SF writing, but I refuse to waste another cent of my money on his writing..... sumo.gif

The thing I like about this is that with the JSA, you can tell these WWII stories that work both as a story within accepted-2004-DC continuity and as a missing issue of the Golden Age All-Star Comics. With the whole post-Crisis thing you cannot do that for an untold tale of the early Justice League, 'cause you have to have Black Canary there instead of Wonder Woman, and you can't have Superman & Batman, etc. So we wind up with something like New Frontier, or the Alex Ross JLA oversize one-shot, where it has to be an Elseworlds outside any recognized version of continuity.

Fortunately, with the JSA, Superman & Batman were mostly absent anyway in the original Golden Age series. And though lots of folks dislike Byrne's Wonder Woman run, I'll always be glad he "fixed" the Golden Age Wonder Woman-- she's now the current WW's mom, so can appear in WWII JSA stories (Amazons being immortal after all).

I'm not a continuity-obsessive type, but it is nice to be able to read a story that appeals on several levels: the story itself and simultaneously, a consistent extension of that rich back-story many of us have enjoyed for many years. thumbsup2.gif

After the last couple of JSA retro mini-series, like "JSA: All-Stars" I'm more than a little cautious about these spin-offs, and thought I would wait for the inevitable trade collecting all six issues. But on your recommendation I will go and take a look this weekend.

I really like the current JSA series though. I consider it one of the better series DC publishes because of it's strong sense of history (along with Flash, Teen Titans, Green Arrow, Hawkman and Identity Crisis).

like i said before, Johns is a great writer on Teen Titans and Flash.

Ian I just bought a bunch of Marvel moderns last night off of MH's site and I was looking for a DC comic or two to pick up (superhero kind) and I stumbled across the JSA. I almost bought it but it looked like they were just reprinted stories so I passed on it. 893frustrated.gif I have been waiting for the new Green Lantern series to roll out but are there any other superhero series I should focus on? I have been told to pick up Crisis and a few other things but I'm not looking at buying any trades or non-superhero stuff right now. confused-smiley-013.gif

I/Crisis is good, so is Flash and Teen Titans and Batman/Superman (or vice versa).

I'm not a big DC fan, but along the lines of this thread I would highly recommend DC's The New Frontier. It's a six issue series and issues six will be coming out soon, so the TPB would be your best bet. Simply one of the best written and nicely drawn comics to come out in a long time.

Being a big time fan of Hal Jordan, I've geeked out big time over that series.

What does it have to do with Hal?

Hey Ian,

I bought this just because of the Buzzy 70 thing!

Buzzy63FC.jpg

and it cost $1.67. thumbsup2.gif

This was the first issue of the utterly hysterical "Buzzy's Post-Puberty Adventures" run which features some really excellent Neal Adams covers and Alan Moore stories.

Strange Adventures was a good read... but it's no Identity Crisis. They're not even in the same league.

I have enjoyed "Identity Crisis" but it's a very modern comic - full of dark twists and turns that were unheard of pre 1976. The Doctor Light from Justice League of America 12, "Last Case Of The Justice League", would NEVER have raped anybody.

But the "JSA Strange Adventures" reads like classic Golden Age. I went back and read it a second time, and I realised how true to form it was compared to the classic run of All Star Comics. I have seen nothing else in the last two decades as true to my youth - uncomplicated by twenty first century dark-storytelling-styles.

I longed for the tales of my youth - "Slave Ship Of Space", "The Wheel Of Misfortune", "One Hour To Doomsday", "Crisis On Earth One", "Outcasts Of Infinity", "Card Crimes Of The Royal Flush Gang"....

And here it is for the first time in decades.

No rape, no decapitated dogs, no self deprecation, no lobotomies, just a wonderful science-fantasy fuelled superhero romp, not childish but still somehow innocent and wonderful and full of the promise of a sadly long-lost era.

Maybe indeed nowhere near as deep as "Identity Crisis", yet for me, far far more satisfying.

I wish for more

Strange Adventures was a good read... but it's no Identity Crisis. They're not even in the same league.

I have enjoyed "Identity Crisis" but it's a very modern comic - full of dark twists and turns that were unheard of pre 1976. The Doctor Light from Justice League of America 12, "Last Case Of The Justice League", would NEVER have raped anybody.

But the "JSA Strange Adventures" reads like classic Golden Age. I went back and read it a second time, and I realised how true to form it was compared to the classic run of All Star Comics. I have seen nothing else in the last two decades as true to my youth - uncomplicated by twenty first century dark-storytelling-styles.

I longed for the tales of my youth - "Slave Ship Of Space", "The Wheel Of Misfortune", "One Hour To Doomsday", "Crisis On Earth One", "Outcasts Of Infinity", "Card Crimes Of The Royal Flush Gang"....

And here it is for the first time in decades.

No rape, no decapitated dogs, no self deprecation, no lobotomies, just a wonderful science-fantasy fuelled superhero romp, not childish but still somehow innocent and wonderful and full of the promise of a sadly long-lost era.

Maybe indeed nowhere near as deep as "Identity Crisis", yet for me, far far more satisfying.

I wish for more

That's a review that will make me pick up a book.

That's a review that will make me pick up a book.

I hope you do.

As someone who owns every DC ever made apart from one, I rarely if ever recommend a modern book like this. Even if everyone else were to disagree with me, it actually reminded me of why I enjoyed comics in the first place, and therefore to me it became imbued with almost magical qualities.