• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINALLY - A Current DC We Can ALL Enjoy

126 posts in this topic

...So I guess all we have to do is buy up all the copies of comics that have really small print runs and in 20 years we will all be rich..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif....I guess it makes sense,....cause the hot books right now like Hulk #181, ASM #300 and X-men #94 had minuscule print runs and now they,...no wait,.... confused.gif...somethings not right here.......someone help me out here.....

...So I guess all we have to do is buy up all the copies of comics that have really small print runs and in 20 years we will all be rich..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif....I guess it makes sense,....cause the hot books right now like Hulk #181, ASM #300 and X-men #94 had minuscule print runs and now they,...no wait,.... confused.gif...somethings not right here.......someone help me out here.....

sign-funnypost.gif

I am right.

Modern comics like the Batman "Hush" series sold so well that in twenty years time, they won't be rare at all.

However, Flex Mentallo, Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children, and a few others will rise up and up in value because people discovered how good they were long long after their tiny print-runs had disappeared.

A comic as old-fashioned in timeless quality as JSA Strange Adventures is sadly not being stocked by comic shops. Therefore very few copies will be around. Therefore it will never be easily available (a bit like Hawkman 33), and therefore, once people realise how good it was, they'll have to pay through the nose for it.

Comics like this can only go up in value.

Comics like Batman 608 and Superman 204, after their initial burst, can only go down in value.

Ian, I appreciate your love for this book, but I think you are completely out of your mind when it comes to this specific book.

Limited print runs must be met with subsequent demand, and buyers are not clamoring for copies of JSA: Strange Adventures. But if they were, like ALL modern DCs, JSA: Strange Adventures will be reprinted as a tpb some time next summer (the involvement of novelist Kevin Anderson pretty much guarantees it).

Flex Mentallo is a book in demand because (a) it had a fairly limited print run and (b) it can't be reprinted as is because of the legal issues around the similarities between the character and the fellow that did those muscle ads on the back of old comic books. FM is in the same boat as Miracleman... it was written by a popular writer, and is not available in a reprint volume for reading purposes. If you want to read it you have to find it.

JSA: Strange Adventures may be good, but to most consumers it's just another mediocre JSA mini-series, the third such mini in as many years (after All-Stars and the Justice Society Returns). It has nearly no word of mouth (except from you on these boards) and the people who have read are not raving about it's greatness.

JSA: Strange Adventures may be good, but to most consumers it's just another mediocre JSA mini-series, the third such mini in as many years (after All-Stars and the Justice Society Returns). It has nearly no word of mouth (except from you on these boards) and the people who have read are not raving about its greatness.

The Justice Society Returns was 1999.

Ian,

I have to agree with Kev's assessment. The one thing being left out here is the number of reprints being done today at such a quick rate that I believe a lot of the next generation of collectors don't place an emphasis on owning the original. Plus, better materials for storage plus a greater awareness of the collectibles market adds up to moderns to having a more difficult time escalating significantly in value.

I doubt Strange Adventures, a good, but fairly insignificant book, will ever see a rise in value.

Ian,

I have to agree with Kev's assessment. The one thing being left out here is the number of reprints being done today at such a quick rate that I believe a lot of the next generation of collectors don't place an emphasis on owning the original. Plus, better materials for storage plus a greater awareness of the collectibles market adds up to moderns to having a more difficult time escalating significantly in value.

I doubt Strange Adventures, a good, but fairly insignificant book, will ever see a rise in value.

I think the only books that have real potential for being "in demand" as back issues are first appearances of popular characters... issues of long running titles featuring fan-favorite characters that people "collect" (and have not been reprinted)... and the works of popular creators that also have not been reprinted.

Personally I am waiting for the TPB, which I do for most comics these days. There really isn't point buying the actual comics when you know it is going to come out in TPB form. Modern comics that have been collected in TPBs seem to have a ceiling on their value, plus it is just much handier to have a TPB then a bunch of comics.

I do think this series looks interesting, and will get it because of Ian's recommendation, but I don't think there is any reason to think some day back issues are going to be worth tons. Even *if* this turns out to be a lost jem, people who want to read the series will have an easy to find TPB to find if they want to read it.

Well I accept defeat. But I still love its style. I long to read more like this. The comics of my youth were far more enjoyable and far less dark than todays comics, even though I buy every DC.

Would you begrudge me actually ENJOYING "JSA Strange Adventures" ????

Well I accept defeat. But I still love its style. I long to read more like this. The comics of my youth were far more enjoyable and far less dark than todays comics, even though I buy every DC.

Would you begrudge me actually ENJOYING "JSA Strange Adventures" ????

893applaud-thumb.gif Not at all. I also don't think it will ever be worth anything, but I'll definitely pick up a copy of the TPB when they release it.

Maybe because at that age (your "Golden Age") you were easier amused... confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe because at that age (your "Golden Age") you were easier amused...

That's simply not true.

I said earlier in this thread that I longed for the tales of my youth - "Slave Ship Of Space", "The Wheel Of Misfortune", "One Hour To Doomsday", "Crisis On Earth One", "Outcasts Of Infinity", "Card Crimes Of The Royal Flush Gang"....

And here it is for the first time in decades.

Well having re-read all of those recently, they're every bit as good as I remembered, and miles better than most new comics.

And having recently been re-charmed by the sheer wonder of All Star Comics 11, "Shanghied Into Space", which was printed long before I was born, it has nothing to do with memory nostalgia, just a style of a more innocent period.

Again harkening back to earlier in this thread, when someone commented that JSA Strange Adventures could be given to a kid to read, I remembered the early Justice League of America issues, and the Legion of Super Heroes in Adventure Comics, and the Metal Men, and all the early All Star Comics, and especially Tales of the Bizarro World, and all the Lois Lanes and Jimmy Olsens, not to mention the utterly wonderful Inferior Five, and Sugar And Spike.

THESE are the reasons I collected DC comics.

Is it SO terrible to have something that harkens back to those wonderful halcyon days ???

Is it SO terrible to have something that harkens back to those wonderful halcyon days ???

No, not at all....but you have to realise one of the main reasons you find these early Silver Age stories so tasty is mainly due to the nostalgia sauce...

These stories were simply never meant for you....sure for Ian Levine, boy-wonder, but not for Ian Levine, adult & owner of a coat of arms...

I'm pretty sure that every adult, having not read any of these types of books as a child, would prefer the modern way of storytelling and contemporary art to the Silver Age books.

And before you start zoning in on one particular segment of my post.....no I did not just call you a child or immature thumbsup2.gif

Again harkening back to earlier in this thread, when someone commented that JSA Strange Adventures could be given to a kid to read, I remembered the early Justice League of America issues, and the Legion of Super Heroes in Adventure Comics, and the Metal Men, and all the early All Star Comics, and especially Tales of the Bizarro World, and all the Lois Lanes and Jimmy Olsens, not to mention the utterly wonderful Inferior Five, and Sugar And Spike.

THESE are the reasons I collected DC comics.

Of course not. I enjoy all those books you mentioned too (well, except for perhaps the early All-Star, that comic was just too jingoistic for me to enjoy). I think they are a lot of fun, and I DO wish there were more comics like that these days. I enjoy the Batman Adventures book for much the same reason, they are fun stories, done in one issue and aren't all dark and serious as most comics these days. But I don't think for one second those comics are going to go up in value. I am just glad there are still a few comics like that and I am glad DC is putting them out. As I said earlier, I will buy the TPB of this when it comes out.

Ian Levine, adult & owner of a coat of arms...

A coat of arms is what nobility, dukes, viscounts, and the like, have family ownership of. Their own shield with a crest on it.

Maybe you mean the suit of armour in my dining room ????

Ian Levine, adult & owner of a coat of arms...

A coat of arms is what nobility, dukes, viscounts, and the like, have family ownership of. Their own shield with a crest on it.

Maybe you mean the suit of armour in my dining room ????

You have a suit of armour ?? Can I play with it ???893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Actually you are referred to as the King of Northern soul....so I though you'd have a few titles stashed away somewhere confused-smiley-013.gif

You're a strange one, I give you that....out of all the things I wrote, this is what you reply to.... insane.gif