• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINALLY - A Current DC We Can ALL Enjoy

126 posts in this topic

The new mini-series "JSA Strange Adventures" is the answer to my dreams. It's got all the REAL Justice Society in it, it's set during the Second World War, with the original Golden Age Sandman, Spectre, Starman, Doctor Fate, Green Lantern, Doctor MidNite, Mister Terrific, Johnny Thunder etc etc, not like the current JSA where the characters don't feel like the real originals - these DO.

And the plot and dialogue don't feel as if they're written for a fifteen year old kid on a skateboard.

WOW !!!!!!!!

Please please please can we have more like this.

Plus the best cover of the year.

Much as I have enjoyed "Identity Crisis", it pales into insignificance next to this piece of proper REAL DC Superhero classicness.

Why oh why oh why does it have to be only six issues long.

Do yourselves a favour and grab it now.

I have thirty one thousand DCs, and this has to be the best from the last twenty years EASILY.

Who wrote it? I don't think my LCS ordered any

Kevin J. Anderson

If your local didn't order it, that's just criminal. This is the sort of comic that comes along once every twenty years. The cover suggested it would be brilliant, but the interior is better than I dared hope for. It frustrates me that if a company like DC is able to turn out something this timeless, why they don't do so more often. Especially with their Seventieth birthday only six months away.

The new mini-series "JSA Strange Adventures" is the answer to my dreams. It's got all the REAL Justice Society in it, it's set during the Second World War, with the original Golden Age Sandman, Spectre, Starman, Doctor Fate, Green Lantern, Doctor MidNite, Mister Terrific, Johnny Thunder etc etc, not like the current JSA where the characters don't feel like the real originals - these DO.

And the plot and dialogue don't feel as if they're written for a fifteen year old kid on a skateboard.

WOW !!!!!!!!

Please please please can we have more like this.

Plus the best cover of the year.

Much as I have enjoyed "Identity Crisis", it pales into insignificance next to this piece of proper REAL DC Superhero classicness.

Why oh why oh why does it have to be only six issues long.

Do yourselves a favour and grab it now.

I have thirty one thousand DCs, and this has to be the best from the last twenty years EASILY.

that actually sounds pretty cool

Thanks for the heads up

After the last couple of JSA retro mini-series, like "JSA: All-Stars" I'm more than a little cautious about these spin-offs, and thought I would wait for the inevitable trade collecting all six issues. But on your recommendation I will go and take a look this weekend.

I really like the current JSA series though. I consider it one of the better series DC publishes because of it's strong sense of history (along with Flash, Teen Titans, Green Arrow, Hawkman and Identity Crisis).

The Sci Fi writer? You really do learn something new every day.

Yes. The advertising says he's a famous Sci-Fi writer. The cover looks like an amazing 1940s Science Fiction film poster. Breathtakingly eyecatching.

After the last couple of JSA retro mini-series, like "JSA: All-Stars" I'm more than a little cautious about these spin-offs

Much as I love the Justice Society, the eight issue miniseries "JSA All Stars" could have been SOOOOO much better than it was, despite the great covers.

On a scale of 1 to 100, that was a twenty and this one is a ninety five.

THIS time they've got it right - trust me.

Ian I just bought a bunch of Marvel moderns last night off of MH's site and I was looking for a DC comic or two to pick up (superhero kind) and I stumbled across the JSA. I almost bought it but it looked like they were just reprinted stories so I passed on it. 893frustrated.gif I have been waiting for the new Green Lantern series to roll out but are there any other superhero series I should focus on? I have been told to pick up Crisis and a few other things but I'm not looking at buying any trades or non-superhero stuff right now. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was looking for a DC comic or two to pick up (superhero kind) and I stumbled across the JSA. I almost bought it but it looked like they were just reprinted stories so I passed on it.

They most certainly are NOT reprinted stories.

I'm not a big DC fan, but along the lines of this thread I would highly recommend DC's The New Frontier. It's a six issue series and issues six will be coming out soon, so the TPB would be your best bet. Simply one of the best written and nicely drawn comics to come out in a long time.

I'm not a big DC fan, but along the lines of this thread I would highly recommend DC's The New Frontier. It's a six issue series and issues six will be coming out soon, so the TPB would be your best bet. Simply one of the best written and nicely drawn comics to come out in a long time.

Being a big time fan of Hal Jordan, I've geeked out big time over that series.