• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Results

25 posts in this topic

The Avengers 99 cover failed to make reserve. Did anyone see how high it got to at the end? It appears whoever bought it a few years ago at 70K miscalculated.

I thought the Silver Surfer 15 splash did rather well at 21,500. The Kirby Silver Star page seemed not-cheap at 925.

Impressed with the Joe Madureira X-men 346 cover going for 8K. I'm a Silver Age guy myself, so I don't know. Is Madureira a hot artist? hm

Madureira was definitely one of those hot 90s artists. His work was part of the Age of Apocalypse story line, so he's tied to one of the key 90s releases. I think people expected bigger things from him when he left to do his own thing (went to Wildstorm to do creator owned "Battle Chasers") but it never got released consistently and he kinda disappeared (into video game design) between 2001 and 2008, but has returned (Ultimates 3) sporadically in the last 3-4 years.

The cover sold based on 90s love (and the fact that many 90s fans are the ones with disposable income these days, (late 20s-early 30s collectors with good jobs and no kids.))

FF 42 Kirby/Colletta failed to meet reserve and went straight to buy it now at 13,000...... Seems a little high to me.

X men 18 Roth/ayers went for 3700 which seems like a fair price

Those were the only two I was really watching

The surfer splash seems like it went a bit high for an OK splash, but who doesn't love surfer art!

A friend of mine told me that he billy graham jungle action page did 1250.00 that's a great price for an under recognized artist.

Well, that page was a TERRIFIC example of the work from that series.

I agree....excellent, It's nice to me when good artists get recognized for their art, Billy Graham is not that well known but maybe people are picking up on him.

Madureira was definitely one of those hot 90s artists. His work was part of the Age of Apocalypse story line, so he's tied to one of the key 90s releases. I think people expected bigger things from him when he left to do his own thing (went to Wildstorm to do creator owned "Battle Chasers") but it never got released consistently and he kinda disappeared (into video game design) between 2001 and 2008, but has returned (Ultimates 3) sporadically in the last 3-4 years.

The cover sold based on 90s love (and the fact that many 90s fans are the ones with disposable income these days, (late 20s-early 30s collectors with good jobs and no kids.))

Thanks for the rundown MN :) Also, it was a very vigorous rendition of Spiderman, and folks loves them some Spidey, hey? Which makes me realize, I have not a single Spiderman-related item in my collection... :cry:

http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=15934&ArtistId=942

Here is the avengers cover from comic connect....once sold for over 70,00 now offered for 50,000

Just curious....how does a loss of that amount affect a collector?

I personally don't spend at that level, but I'd be pretty apprehensive about buying next time.....I won't spend more than I'm afraid to lose, maybe that's the same case here.

Here is the avengers cover from comic connect....once sold for over 70,00 now offered for 50,000

Just curious....how does a loss of that amount affect a collector?

Here's a story I read in the paper years and years ago that might give some perspective.

As you may know, Michael Jordan likes to gamble when playing golf as do lots of other pleasure golfers. The story goes that he left is billfold in the clubhouse when he went out to play. The club house attendant found it, checked the cash and id, went out and found Michael to return his wallet.

The question is how much cash did Michael Jordan have in his wallet that day?

Okay, the answer is $15K. That might sound like a lot and it is, but MJ was making $33M per year from the Bulls at the time. So, proportionally, $15K to him was $15 to someone making $32K per year. Though $32K is hardly rich, I know some school teacher making that who will blow $15 for a weekend.

So, is a $20K loss significant, maybe, but it really depends on the person. I think MJ would have said no. :)

But seriously, I don't think the buyer did his homework. On what grounds would you have valued that cover at 70K a few years ago? All I can think is A. wildly optimistic speculation based on (then) rumours of an Avengers movie, or B.you just really loved that cover at any price and knowingly overpaid because you weren't planning to sell it for 20 years, but things changed.

The Avengers 99 cover failed to make reserve. Did anyone see how high it got to at the end? It appears whoever bought it a few years ago at 70K miscalculated.

I thought the Silver Surfer 15 splash did rather well at 21,500. The Kirby Silver Star page seemed not-cheap at 925.

Impressed with the Joe Madureira X-men 346 cover going for 8K. I'm a Silver Age guy myself, so I don't know. Is Madureira a hot artist? hm

I believe the Silver Surfer splash was listed on Romitaman's website for $25k.

Coollines would probably let you have it for 40. :grin:

Actually, if you're a dealer, you might list something a little high, then, if no takers, put it up for auction and anything under the listed price looks like a deal if the buyer was aware of the earlier price. Hmmm.

Coollines would probably let you have it for 40. :grin:

Ha ha

Actually, if you're a dealer, you might list something a little high, then, if no takers, put it up for auction and anything under the listed price looks like a deal if the buyer was aware of the earlier price. Hmmm.

1000% agree. There is definitely a psychology that goes into seeing something priced high and then getting it for less than that high price even if the high price was ridiculous.