• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CGC notate Newsstand variants on the labels?

12 posts in this topic

I just got a copy of ASM 700 back from CGC. It's a Newsstand Variant and they didn't note that on the label. Is this something that they normally notate? Or is it just the same as a regular version to them. I noted Newsstand on the submission form so it would have been kind of hard to miss. That, and the fact that it says Newsstand right on the cover.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The Startling Stories and Daredevil covers both appear to be the same for the Newsstand and regular markets. But they each have sections broken out in the census for the Newsstand variant. Which is odd since there are only 6 TOTAL copies of the Startling Stories and 12 TOTAL copies of Daredevil graded.

ASM 700 does have a Newsstand designation on the cover. I wonder why they would go to the trouble of separating such low population books, but not a high population book like ASM 700

$T2eC16FHJGkE9no8fyJzBRSPySItW!~~60_1.JPG

I am not sure they have an absolute way of doing the labels. It seems to vary, depending on who does it. I know the dates are often different, some books listing just the year, some the month/year, and then resulting in two entries for the same title. Rachel Rising is a good example, two entries for number 1, "2011" and "8/11". Unfortunately, the QC people are either not noticing this, or they just don't care about the multiple listings for each book. Probably, the submitter does not put the specific month/year, and just the year, and the check-in people do not look it up to correct or verify it.

I recall reading somewhere (probably here) that Marvel under Bill Jemas had a strategy to do these 'no number, newsstand only' versions of lower selling titles in hopes that people would try the books. According to wiki he also introduced the compilation reprints that were newsstand only.