• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which actor was perfect in their roll in a superhero movie?

270 posts in this topic

I think it's interesting so many people say Chris Reeve was such a great Superman. I thought those movies (the first two anyway) were so cool as a kid and he was always an icon for me - but I wouldn't put him in the same category as Downey playing IM or even Jackman as Wolverine. His Clark Kent was top shelf I think, but I struggled some with his Superman. Reeve was pretty wimpy in the tights compared to what Superman always has been in my head and generally is in the comics and cartoons. He maybe the best to this point, but I don't think he's unbeatable...

I agree that Molina was excellent as Doc Ock and Snipes was another of those rare cases of the actor making the character, his own.

poejghq5w8vzc1.jpg

:roflmao:

Logan has some explaining to do :baiting:

They better start stockpiling the makeup now if they want to attempt to try and make him look younger than 120 :eek:

This game is easy to play

ian-mckellen-05_zpsb971490a.jpg

Call me crazy but Ian looks like 10 years younger than Rutger in those pics (shrug)

I'm not saying Ian looks young but you're complaining he is way too old too play Magneto and suggest they hire a guy that makes Yoda look like a twink :ohnoez:

Quote me where I complained he's too old for the role ( he is ). If we had a time machine I said a younger Hauer would be perfect for the role. if they're going to old geezer I would still rather have Hauer.

Avengers was the greatest superhero movie of all time! :baiting:

ALL TIME! :foryou:

btw, if you get your hands on that Rutger Hauer time machine can you please have him go back and not make that INSANELY creepy face when C Thomas Howell spits in his face in The Hitcher :wishluck:

I havent seen that movie in like 20 years and it still makes my skin crawl :sick:

He was awesome in that movie, I'll have to watch it again soon.

I think it's interesting so many people say Chris Reeve was such a great Superman. I thought those movies (the first two anyway) were so cool as a kid and he was always an icon for me - but I wouldn't put him in the same category as Downey playing IM or even Jackman as Wolverine. His Clark Kent was top shelf I think, but I struggled some with his Superman. Reeve was pretty wimpy in the tights compared to what Superman always has been in my head and generally is in the comics and cartoons. He maybe the best to this point, but I don't think he's unbeatable...

I think Reeve's portrayal emboided everything Superman is (or was, perhaps). I think these new films are trying to make him darker, grittier, etc ad naseum.

Superman is a lot like Jesus - you just have to live with how everyone subconsciously sees him, not how you would like to see him. The obsession with trying to make him more relevant to our modern times will never work.

The other characters you mention have had personality shifts and are easily adapted to the changing philosophies of society - but Supes always seems above that.

poejghq5w8vzc1.jpg

They better start stockpiling the makeup now if they want to attempt to try and make him look younger than 120 :eek:

Call me crazy but Ian looks like 10 years younger than Rutger in those pics (shrug)

I'm not saying Ian looks young but you're complaining he is way too old too play Magneto and suggest they hire a guy that makes Yoda look like a twink :ohnoez:

Quote me where I complained he's too old for the role ( he is ). If we had a time machine I said a younger Hauer would be perfect for the role. if they're going to old geezer I would still rather have Hauer.

btw, if you get your hands on that Rutger Hauer time machine can you please have him go back and not make that INSANELY creepy face when C Thomas Howell spits in his face in The Hitcher :wishluck:

I havent seen that movie in like 20 years and it still makes my skin crawl :sick:

Just dont screw up and get the remake! SUCKSVILLE!!! :sick:

Christian Bale as Batman

Liam Neeson as Ras Al Ghul

Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man

Colin Farrell as Bullseye

J.K. Simmons as J Jonah Jameson (though I would like the part played more seriously by him)

Chris Hemsworth as Thor

Chris Evans is pretty close as Cap.

Christopher Reeve as Superman

Ed Norton as Bruce Banner (Ruffalo was not bad at all though)

Jackman as Wolverine

whoever played Night Crawler

whoever played Magneto and Prof X in First Class

Were there any actors you didnt think were perfect??? :baiting:

lol

I like a lot of his list, though a few of them are head scratchers.

I'm really surprised no one has said Renner as Hawkeye! :roflmao:

The only role that guy was tailor-made for is an IRS accountant, airport PA announcer or bathroom valet. His acting is so patently boring and wooden, I can't even believe that he gets work. I'd wager Logan510 likes his acting, though. :baiting:

Christian Bale as Batman

Liam Neeson as Ras Al Ghul

Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man

Colin Farrell as Bullseye

J.K. Simmons as J Jonah Jameson (though I would like the part played more seriously by him)

Chris Hemsworth as Thor

Chris Evans is pretty close as Cap.

Christopher Reeve as Superman

Ed Norton as Bruce Banner (Ruffalo was not bad at all though)

Jackman as Wolverine

whoever played Night Crawler

whoever played Magneto and Prof X in First Class

Were there any actors you didnt think were perfect??? :baiting:

lol

I like a lot of his list, though a few of them are head scratchers.

I have a weird feeling i could DEFINITELY guess which 2 are your biggest head scratchers hm

Superman is a lot like Jesus - you just have to live with how everyone subconsciously sees him, not how you would like to see him. The obsession with trying to make him more relevant to our modern times will never work.

I disagree, attempts to make iconic characters more relevant to modern times may never work to the people who have grown up seeing the characters in a certain way but it is possible to make them more relevant to a younger audience sometimes.

poejghq5w8vzc1.jpg

Just dont screw up and get the remake! SUCKSVILLE!!! :sick:

I saw a bit on cable and changed the station after a few minutes. Shame, because I like Sean Bean as an actor.

The only role that guy was tailor-made for is an IRS accountant, airport PA announcer or bathroom valet. His acting is so patently boring and wooden, I can't even believe that he gets work. I'd wager Logan510 likes his acting, though. :baiting:

MemeCenter_1363813978559_948_zps2cf4b1fd.jpg

jeremy-renner-is-grumpy-cat_zps54bb30e0.jpg

Ok, i'm busted! My previous post was all just an elaborate ruse to weasel in yet another grumpy cat pic :blush:

MemeCenter_1363813978559_948_zps2cf4b1fd.jpg

jeremy-renner-is-grumpy-cat_zps54bb30e0.jpg

Ok, i'm busted! My previous post was all just an elaborate ruse to weasel in yet another grumpy cat pic :blush:

Yes, but totally worthy. That's awesome.

I disagree, attempts to make iconic characters more relevant to modern times may never work to the people who have grown up seeing the characters in a certain way but it is possible to make them more relevant to a younger audience sometimes.

Yes, you can remake iconic characters for modern audiences - I'm just saying that that doesn't apply to Superman because his set of characteristics is not something that can be tweaked very much while retaining the core of who he is. He has a set of attributes that differs from most other heroes and altering those fundamentally changes his character.

However, I will gladly rescind my point of view the day they make a successful modern Superman film. I don't believe they will because so many screenwriters think that a film can only work if there is angtsy love, fingernail painting and dark, melancholy brooding in it. All of which (thankfully) don't apply to Superman.