• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OMG That's Available!?!?

26 posts in this topic

Maybe it's because I've been in this hobby a little longer now, or maybe it's just the state of the hobby, but when was the last time you saw a piece either on ebay or a CAF Classified gallery (Dealers not included... though even then) and you thought, "OMG, I can't believe that is for sale...SOLD!!!" It used to happen a little more often for me. I wouldn't always win it on ebay, or I would be late to the classified ad, but I did see them more often than I do now. I DO however see more and more of those pieces be presented by the big auction houses. I feel like I used to see a couple of those pieces a week offered publicly (non auction house), but now I'm lucky if I see one or two a month. The Paul Pope Batman cover I won on ebay was the last and probably the Maguire Justice League Poster art Malvin won before that... but I used to see a couple a week. Is my taste range getting smaller or are the "nicer" pieces just going to auction houses because of the great prices being realized? Just thinking out loud.

Also of note... I used to have generally between 15-20 auctions on my ebay watch page at any given time and be bidding on two or three. Now I'm lucky if I have 5 in my watch list and bidding on a piece a month.

you know, I thought I was just busier lately and not looking at as many things but you are right, normally there are always highlight items and I am bidding on several each week but it does seem slower for me too.

Malvin

PS Thanks for the mention!

when was the last time you saw a piece either on ebay or a CAF Classified gallery (Dealers not included... though even then) and you thought, "OMG, I can't believe that is for sale...SOLD!!!"

Five years. Maybe six.

A week ago. Before that, late December.

Maybe it's because I've been in this hobby a little longer now, or maybe it's just the state of the hobby, but when was the last time you saw a piece either on ebay or a CAF Classified gallery (Dealers not included... though even then) and you thought, "OMG, I can't believe that is for sale...SOLD!!!"

Last December, when I got my Spider-Girl Splash.

For me, only about once a year now.

I agree there was a lot of better stuff outside of the big auction houses before : Elektra pages by Sienk, DD splash by Mazz, Watchmen pages, 80s covers by Perez, etc. I don't see this kind of pieces anymore on ebay but some still appear in the CAF classifieds a few times a year.

I wonder if the overhaul they are doing to ebay seller fees and protection will change that?

Also ebay has the stigma of anything over 1k-1.5k is not going to get top value. so I think people are going with the, pay a bit more juice, but know you're more likely to get paid, and get a bigger stack of cash.

This month alone on ebay I've had 8 non-payers... it's annoying to say the least!

Edited by Pete Marino

Perhaps it seems there are less OMG moments because many years ago your collection was smaller and your focus was wider - as you satisfy a portion of your wants there will be less that makes you go OMG...because you already have your example(s).

At least this is true for me - easier to let some of the OMG pieces go as well if they are going to sell for more than a Tesla

Mark

P.S. I'd say I find about 1-2 pieces a quarter than I really 'need'

Edited by mtlevy

You bring up a good point Mark. I certainly have added a lot of pieces the last couple of years that I would never have dreamed of owning 3+ years ago. It certainly takes more to wow me today!

Malvin

I had a couple of these last year. There was a Gene Colan page from Captain Marvel #1 that I got from ebay for much less than I ever thought it would sell for.

I was also able to get some 1980's Garcia Lopez Batman pages from Mr Garcia Lopez himself at Baltimore. Never would've thought he'd have any left...and that he'd be selling them for a very reasonable price.

Had another moment last year where a dealer was selling a Mike Zeck Captain America page featuring Nomad- again, at a very reasonable price.

So...at least 3 times last year. One ebay, one directly from the artist, and one from a dealer...

Well, I'm glad it still happens to some of you and it occasionally does still happen to me. I do agree that my collection has grown and I was lucky enough to purchase a couple of the OMG pieces. Nothing like seeing an OMG on ebay with a BIN that is reasonable or better. Imagine the one's we don't see in fact because they've been snatched up before we see them... But there are also many that I used to see and not be able to afford even though they might have been priced reasonably (Batman Cult cover, Long Bow Hunters cover, Cosmic Odyssey cover, No Man's Land Batgirl cover etc. etc.) that I just don't see coming around again... and I just feel like there used to be a lot more of those moments. I do still love the feeling when one of those surfaces though. And again, I'm not talking Heritage and Clink... as I feel it's getting to the point where I'd be disappointed if I didn't have at least 10 wow's... at least in Heritage's case. I mean where do they go from here with all the Watchmen, KJ, McSpidey and DKR pages up for auction in the last year or two?? I guess there are still a TON of older pages out there that I am not that interested in that would make some of the collectors (with very deep pockets) on this board say OMG!! Or Dagnabbit, or whatever the old fogey collectors say ;)