• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spine Split Permissible in 8.5 or Damage in the Holder?

7 posts in this topic

I'm not going to mention either the specific issue (it's not a particularly expensive book) or who I ordered from since they are a reputable dealer and I am confident they will take the book back (I haven't contacted them yet), but I have a more general question.

I just ordered an early Marvel annual graded as a CGC 8.5. The scan looked nice enough. However, having just opened it, I couldn't help but notice a (not so) minor issue: it has a 1/2 inch spine split on the bottom, which would only be visible with a scan taken of the side.. What I'm wondering is, would CGC actually grade a square-bound book with a 1/2" spine split as an 8.5 or is this likely to have been damage that occurred later in the holder? Could it possibly have happened in shipping (it was very well packed)? The spine split was not noted in the description.

I don't think of a 1/2" spine split when I think of an 8.5. But CGC and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of grading. What's the board opinion?

If the rest of the book is very nice, I could see an 8.5 grade with this defect, assuming it's a clean spine split and not splitting the book apart at the bottom. I do think that it is a significant enough defect that should warrant a return if you are not happy with it and the dealer did not note it, especially since you could not see it in the scan.

Ken

Interesting to know. Burst spine OK. Teeny tiny stain on back cover = hammer the living heck out of the grade. I wouldn't give this book more than a 6.0, but I can believe that CGC would go to 8.5. Oh well, it shouldn't be hard to return.

Is the rest of the book immaculate?

That's the only way a book with a 1/2 inch split would grade at 8.5 for me....the rest of the book would have to be a 9.6+

It's very nice but definitely not immaculate - some wear on the upper left corner and along the top left edge. Without the spine split I'd say it was a 9.0 and could stretch to a 9.2 on a generous day in Sarasota. Very bright colors. I guess I should have been suspicious about seeing such an attractive scan for an 8.5.

Is the rest of the book immaculate?

That's the only way a book with a 1/2 inch split would grade at 8.5 for me....the rest of the book would have to be a 9.6+

I had a regular spine book that was graded at a 9.4 by classic incorporated. The pre grader at cgc had it at a 9.6, but there was a note about a tiny spine split that apparently the pre grader and Matt missed, so it was knocked down to a 9.0. I'm not sure the spine split is even 1/2 an inch though, as I can't even see it through the slab.