• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raising Prices?

22 posts in this topic

I got this message from CGC saying that they are raising prices?

MODERN: $19

ECONOMY: $29

STANDARD: $49

EXPRESS: $79

WALKTHRU: NO CHANGE

NEW HOLDER: $11

*ALL BOOKS MUST BE IN OUR BUILDING NO LATER THAN

FEB 3RD TO RECEIVE THE OLD PRICES.

NO EXCEPTIONS !

Say what?? They'll lose a lot of volume! I just sent in a bunch of modern comics, and I wouldn't have for $19 a book. Sending in 30 books will cost an extra $150, and that's a good chunk of change.

I'll be pulling my other books out and sending them in before Feb. 2, and that will probably be my last submission for a long time. Another 20% increase is pretty hefty, especially considering the crappy economy.

i know what u are saying but i think it might take a small dip but come back. ther eis nowhere else to go presently and with discounts via dealers, peep with $ (not me) will still submit IMO.

I disagree gman. There are a lot of books that were "almost but not quite" worth getting graded at the old prices - the new prices will only raise the bar on the quality of book required. At $19 a modern I will send in very few moderns.

Ill still submit books, just a lot less frequently. Though I usually only submit twice a year. (I let my gradable books stack up then send in around 20 at a time). Now Ill have to cut that in half and send in less books. Im just really surprised at the price increase this much. Im sure cgc debated this for awhile? They have to be aware of the negative consequences regarding a possible slow down in submissions. Perhaps the economy caught up with them.

"Bye, Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie, Drove my Chevy to the levey, but the levey was dry, and them good ol' boys were drinking wiskey and rye, singing this'll be the day that I die."

Can we talk about a CGC Market Crash yet? shocked.gifblush.giftongue.gif

Anybody know if this happened in the Coin or Card grading market, and what the effects were? ooo.gif

I seriously doubt if price hikes are going to help bring out more Hulk 181's out of peoples collections. frown.gif It's a sad, sad, sad day in comic collecting land. Up to this point I hadn't submitted one book to CGC although I had given thought to submitting a few books, now it's not even a thought. This also means MORE people will NEED to charge more for their CGC graded books. Looks like my buying into the CGC graded book market may be short lived. frown.gif Yep, even though I hadn't submitted a book, I have purchased a couple of CGC graded books, which encourages other people to continue submitting. What if there are very FEW buyers for CGC books, then will people stop submitting as well? It takes 2 ta tango!

MOS - I've noticed with selling Modern CGC books, I could get away back in early 2002 with starting the listing @ $9.99 and letting it go and feel happy where it ended. Now unless it is a surefire hi grade key in demand, I would not start anything else at lower than 19.99. If it doesn't sell that weekend, I 'll relist for 2 more weeks and then consider shelving the book or relisting at 14.99 the following week.

With the new Modern tier grading hike, I think $24.99 maybe my new minimum to start prices at. Whaddya think?