• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue Horseshoe loves Spawn # 9

85 posts in this topic

The print run on NM98 is impressive, but Spawn 9 is probably four times as many and I wouldn't be shocked if it were 10 times the number.

And it was hyped from day -60....two months before it came out as "HOLY mess YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS ISSUE, IT'S GAIMAN AND MCFARLANE AND AWESOME"....not NM98 that got it's heat subsequent to release.

Wasn't that NM run already hyped because of Liefield's (rather mystifying) fame? 98 was the 3rd to last issue of that run.

The print run on NM98 is impressive, but Spawn 9 is probably four times as many and I wouldn't be shocked if it were 10 times the number.

And it was hyped from day -60....two months before it came out as "HOLY mess YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS ISSUE, IT'S GAIMAN AND MCFARLANE AND AWESOME"....not NM98 that got it's heat subsequent to release.

Wasn't that NM run already hyped because of Liefield's (rather mystifying) fame?

It was somewhat popular at the time, but this particular issue wasn't anything special in the run until much much later. People were buying them as they hit the stands, but were all chasing 87.

By most accounts and using the Cap City figures, the Spawn 9 print run was somewhere around 5 times that of NM 98. One of the sites that has the info is down or I could be more specific.

It wasn't a situation like Spawn 9 where the particular issue was hyped like hell well before orders were due for the issue.

I'll go ahead and say it. Anyone paying more than 50 cents for a copy of that is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

My new sig-line?

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'ma be digging through boxes today trying to cash in on this idiocy before sanity returns. lol

It reminds me of the Twinkies hysteria of a few months ago on EBay, and we all know how that ended. :)

Hostess-Twinkies-box1.jpg

Spawn 9 has a sweet cream filling?

:gossip: Angela does...

-slym

I'll go ahead and say it. Anyone paying more than 50 cents for a copy of that is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

My new sig-line?

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'ma be digging through boxes today trying to cash in on this idiocy before sanity returns. lol

It reminds me of the Twinkies hysteria of a few months ago on EBay, and we all know how that ended. :)

Hostess-Twinkies-box1.jpg

Spawn 9 has a sweet cream filling?

:gossip: Angela does...

-slym

BOOM

Self-Destruct.jpg

Wasn't that NM run already hyped because of Liefield's (rather mystifying) fame?

It was somewhat popular at the time, but this particular issue wasn't anything special in the run until much much later. People were buying them as they hit the stands, but were all chasing 87.

By most accounts and using the Cap City figures, the Spawn 9 print run was somewhere around 5 times that of NM 98. One of the sites that has the info is down or I could be more specific.

It wasn't a situation like Spawn 9 where the particular issue was hyped like hell well before orders were due for the issue.

And NM98 was before Wizard and the mindless investor boom that caused everything to come apart at the seams.

There is a theory that people are throwing out 90s comics by the truckload because they are seen as "worthless" dreg...and for the most part they are.

The copies that stick around get beat up in the quarter bins.

While there is still a metric ton of those books around, there probably aren't as many as you think...especially in 9.8 condition.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they are rare.

There is a theory that people are throwing out 90s comics by the truckload because they are seen as "worthless" dreg...and for the most part they are.

While there is still a metric ton of those books around, there probably aren't as many as you think...especially in 9.8 condition.

I know for a fact that there are several sealed cases of this book (and several others) out there.

This issue, Spawn 10, Spider-man Unlimited #1, X-men 304, were all overstocked heavily.

I remember one of the retailer open houses at Diamond I bought a full sealed case of each of the above for $20 a piece. I could have bought 10 of each and that was just one Diamond location (they had several at the time).

I was giving them away for years as freebees. Just one of those sealed cases hits the census and it's wrecked permanently. lol

I know for a fact that there are several sealed cases of this book (and several others) out there.

This issue, Spawn 10, Spider-man Unlimited #1, X-men 304, were all overstocked heavily.

I remember one of the retailer open houses at Diamond I bought a full sealed case of each of the above for $20 a piece. I could have bought 10 of each and that was just one Diamond location (they had several at the time).

I was giving them away for years as freebees. Just one of those sealed cases hits the census and it's wrecked permanently. lol

Cases of X-Men #25 and Wolverine #75 :cloud9:

Cases of X-Men #25 and Wolverine #75 :cloud9:

They had one case each of X-men 25 and Wolverine 75 at that same meeting. Another dealer and I got to them at the same time and agreed to split it. Those cases cost $25 each. lol

That was a $10 a pop book no problem back then.

Listing ended? Did someone buy it?

70 copies!

I'd like to think that nobody from these boards would be stupid enough to buy that.

I'd like to think that, but I know better. :facepalm:

Listing ended? Did someone buy it?

70 copies!

I'd like to think that nobody from these boards would be stupid enough to buy that.

I'd like to think that, but I know better. :facepalm:

:roflmao: Ok who was it! I'd think boardies would be selling rather than buying. But then again we do have reverse auctions here! (shrug)

Now he just needs to get it signed by Gaiman...if he would even agree to such a thing.