• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Comprises DC and Charlton BA Horror?

23 posts in this topic

So I know the main titles are:

Forbidden Tales Of Dark Mansion

Ghost Castle

Ghosts

House Of Mystery

House of Secrets

Secrets of Haunted House

Secrets of Sinister House

Unexpected

Weird Mystery

Weird War Tales

What about Strange Sports Stories (I figure if we can have Weird War Tales that would also fit).

Also, what about the Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love and Sinister House of Secret Love? Have not read either so don;t know their horror content.

Anything else that would comprise the DC's?

Now what about Charlton? What horror books did they produce from around 1970 through 1980? Totally new area for me?

Any checklists on these two?

For DC, you're missing Witching Hour. (one of my favorites)

Yes. I would call Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love and Sinister House of Secret Love horror.

Being a pre-code guy, you would appreciate both titles.

So I know the main titles are:

Forbidden Tales Of Dark Mansion

Ghost Castle

Ghosts

House Of Mystery

House of Secrets

Secrets of Haunted House

Secrets of Sinister House

Unexpected

Weird Mystery

Weird War Tales

What about Strange Sports Stories (I figure if we can have Weird War Tales that would also fit).

Also, what about the Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love and Sinister House of Secret Love? Have not read either so don;t know their horror content.

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love becomes Forbidden Tales Of Dark Mansion

Sinister House of Secret Love becomes Secrets of Sinister House

Anything else that would comprise the DC's?

Now what about Charlton? What horror books did they produce from around 1970 through 1980? Totally new area for me?

Any checklists on these two?

Beyond The Grave

Creepy Things

Baron Weirwolfs Haunted Library

Haunted

Haunted Love

Ghostly Haunts

Ghost Manor 1st and 2nd series

Monster Hunters

Scary Tales

I probably missed some but this is off the top of my head!

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love becomes Forbidden Tales Of Dark Mansion

Sinister House of Secret Love becomes Secrets of Sinister House

Yup. What he said.

I missed them in your list.

thumbsup2.gif

Too many titles with GHOST in there I guess! confused-smiley-013.gif

It's not like they only had a couple.

I think Charlton had more horror titles total than DC.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Whoa - just a general reply to thank you all! I can;t believe I missed Witching Hour! I have a few! grin.gif

I shall compile a spreadsheet with this information similar to my pre-code horror checklist (available to all at Pre-code checklist ) - just copy all and paste right ito Excel or other spreadsheet.

Thanks again! I have much to collect it seems. grin.gif

...and for many Marvel titles too, if that be your fancy...

I'd personally like to see a "definitive" bronze horror title list. That would be awesome.

I did leave Charlton out on purpose, but after seeing all of these great finds I will be rethinking my collecting goals 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Beyond The Grave

Creepy Things

Haunted

Haunted Love

Ghostly Haunts

Monster Hunters

Scary Tales

I've been meaning to read Baron Weirwolfs Haunted Library ever since I bid on the art of a promo ad for it last year! Has anyone read it?

http://images.heritagecoin.com/images/HNAI/75/806/806109011o.jpg

Beyond The Grave

Creepy Things

Haunted

Haunted Love

Ghostly Haunts

Monster Hunters

Scary Tales

I've been meaning to read Baron Weirwolfs Haunted Library ever since I bid on the art of a promo ad for it last year! Has anyone read it?

http://images.heritagecoin.com/images/HNAI/75/806/806109011o.jpg

That is a cool piece of art, never saw it before. As to your question, the stories are so-so as far as being scary mixed with some good art. The title doesn't stand out from any of the other titles IMO.

BTW: I forgot to include Midnight Tales to the list.

That is a cool piece of art, never saw it before. As to your question, the stories are so-so as far as being scary mixed with some good art. The title doesn't stand out from any of the other titles IMO.

BTW: I forgot to include Midnight Tales to the list.

Unfortunately, some other bidders thought it was cool also. I was virtually the only bidder on the Heritage auction until the last few hours. Sold for $276... I thought it was cool, but not THAT cool...

I would still like to read them if I can find cheap reading copies.

Does anybody have scans of these books? popcorn.gif

Unfortunately, some other bidders thought it was cool also. I was virtually the only bidder on the Heritage auction until the last few hours. Sold for $276... I thought it was cool, but not THAT cool...

I will be the first to admit I know nothing in regards to original art costs, but as a graphic artist myself, I can say from what little I've seen other pieces sell for on these boards that that piece, at least quality wise was outstanding for anywhere under $300 IMO.

Reasons:

1. Most all of the Charlton horror "Hosts" were included

2. Nice detailed splash

3. Didn't seem to have too much paste-up and white out markings on it (personal preference)

I have never bought comic art before but I would have bid on that one if I knew about it!

I will be the first to admit I know nothing in regards to original art costs, but as a graphic artist myself, I can say from what little I've seen other pieces sell for on these boards that that piece, at least quality wise was outstanding for anywhere under $300 IMO.

Reasons:

1. Most all of the Charlton horror "Hosts" were included

2. Nice detailed splash

3. Didn't seem to have too much paste-up and white out markings on it (personal preference)

I have never bought comic art before but I would have bid on that one if I knew about it!

Yes it was a very nice piece that would have been cool to own. But wasn't it splash from a book, only an advertisement. It just got out of my price range of what I was looking to spend. I could have had a nice modern piece of cover art for the same price.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything similar up for sale... thumbsup2.gif