• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding non-cgc'ed signed books

4 posts in this topic

I know there are the concerns of legitimacy of the signature. Even the legitimacy of Certificates of Authenticity. But it seems that these days, books that are signed and not witnessed, nor graded and encapsulated by CGC are looked down on. Sometimes to the point of them being basically regarded as worthless or worth less than an unsigned copy.

This was never really the case pre-2000's. So I'm wondering why the change in attitude towards signed books that are not SS'ed by CGC?

The reason this has me concerned is I've arranged to have a collection of books signed and hopefully get a couple of quick sketchs by one Riley Rossmo. I'm shipping the books to a comic book store he use to work at and still frequents regularly at his direction. And while I do not plan to get rid of the books, that might be a possibility in the future should the need arise to raise some funds. At that point since I'm not submitting these books to CGC and there most certainly will not be anyone from CGC there to witness the signing, would the books be looked down upon by the general populous of the comic community.

It really depends on a few factors

1. Whose signature

2. Are any of the sealed Dynamic Forces comics with COA and signature

3. What comic they are on

Some will be worth something and some will not. You can't argue with the yellow label because a CGC witness witnessed the actual signing and 99 percent of the time your there for the signing. In my opinion the yellow label is the best COA in the business. As good as Dynamic Forces COA might be none of us were there to witness the signatures and your taking the companies words for all we know the big name guys could of had an autopen to sign that many. Some of the comics had editions of 3,000 or more signed so imagine 3,000 other issues exactly the same or more. I don't touch signed comics unless they are CGC SS series.

I know there are the concerns of legitimacy of the signature. Even the legitimacy of Certificates of Authenticity. But it seems that these days, books that are signed and not witnessed, nor graded and encapsulated by CGC are looked down on. Sometimes to the point of them being basically regarded as worthless or worth less than an unsigned copy.

This was never really the case pre-2000's. So I'm wondering why the change in attitude towards signed books that are not SS'ed by CGC?

Greater awareness than pre-2000. 2c

With the yellow labels strict rules, buyers of Slabbed SS books are confident their signatures are real and not faked. Every time you buy a raw book already signed there is a chance it's fake. The more a sig is worth, the greater the temptation for scammers to forge.

With the increase of the yellow labels popularity comes greater awareness that forgeries are out there which makes non-SS books less attractive now.

I have quite a few signed comics I picked up in the '90s, but I buy only SS now. It's as much for presentation and preservation as authenticity though. I have always been a little hesitant to buy secondhand sigs on just about anything.

I still love the sigs I got before, I just wouldn't be jumping at the chance to buy them now.